Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:12 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinda View Post
CptnRn,

That is too bad that some have to talk like that. I am so naive, it took me until now to get it.

I SURE THINK YOU ARE REALLY COOL.

I really love reading all your input, statistics and thoughts too. Extremely helpful for all of us that have dreams of moving to Austin, hopefully.

You know, I don't even blame some of those who are bitter about so many people moving there. They are loosing what they once had. But being a business person myself, I have looked at growth as a positive. Appleton, WI was at one point one of the fastest growing medium cities in the country. It helped my business and I enjoyed the new convenient stores and restaurants opening all over the city. But I do understand how it can be too much for some. Especially when the roads are so crowded.

I want to thank all of those who take the time to help all of us to make a wise decision. There is no perfect place, but Austin area sure has a lot to offer. I would rather not leave most of our family here in Wisconsin, but I have to for my health. Looking forward to 8 months of really nice weather is a real plus and I feel the friendly people of Austin will help with this tough adjustment.
I for one am happy the roads in austin are getting more crowded. It means austin is growing and getting better all the time with more opportunities that larger cities have to offer. It also means the property I own around town will go up in value
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
I'm from Illinois too. I live in New Braunfels about 40 miles south of Austin.

This was my first "winter" in Texas. I too swore that my last winter in Illinois was my LAST winter in Illinois, at least for awhile. When I heard how bad this winter was I was shocked...I thought the winter I made up my mind was the worst!

Its funny though, I have to remind myself sometimes how bad it was....because you do get homesick and long (sometimes...) for what you gave up. I didn't miss winter...but now that I that I have been here for a year I just occasionally miss those crisp cold days....but in my mind of course (Which protects us for sanity I guess.) its only the happy memories and its Christmas and everyone is smiling like one big Norman Rockwell....not reality...lol I'm pretty sure I prefer to live in Texas and I can get my winter fix with visits....visits are good.

As for the heat, its just not that humid here. Its not like the heat waves we get up north where people die its so hot and humid at the same time.

It does get very hot here but its not that bad. As someone else mentioned on another thread the thing that bugs me is those long days of sun and heat for days on end. You will find yourself yearning for a good old fashioned thunderstorm that won't quit.

We get weird scattered thunderstorms here....when they say scattered they really mean scattered....and not the organized monster storms we get in Illinois that you can see coming from miles away.

I have seen those in Texas but not particularly as much in this area, and moreso in the early spring and summer than in July or August...and Thank god or it would be awful humid here at the hottest times of year.

Anyway, good luck with your move. I think you will like winter here. We do get some nice cold nights, just enough to get a nice fix and pull out the old sweaters!

Old 06-18-2009, 08:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Yeah, I find 28% and 20% incredibly uncomfortable. My lips dry out crack and bleed at those humidity levels.
Water, saline solution, Thera Tears®....and Chapstick® are all part of the arsenal of one who lives in and loves semi-arid and desert areas....

Old 06-19-2009, 12:17 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,037,405 times
Illinois's unemployment just hit a 25-year high of 10.6%, which is a point where you get people moving sight unseen to places out of desperation....not a good thing.....you are divorcing yourself from family, friends, and connections, and competing with many others looking for shelter from other
hard-bit regions, including the West, which has just hit a 25-year old regional high in unemployment at 10%....

Jobless rate in Western US tops 10 percent - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090619/ap_on_bi_go_ec_fi/us_state_unemployment - broken link)

...I'm certain these "sight-unseen" people have very little savings on hand to carry them through either.......

The answer is that there IS no answer, or shelter, to this national recession/malaise...it is simply everywhere, and firmly embedded in the national financial markets that Austin and the rest of the sunbelt is very much a part of.....no place to hide or run anymore....

The closest we can come to an answer is to retool OURSELVES in these uncertain times...just changing set and setting is the equivalent of musical chairs........

Old 07-20-2009, 09:00 PM

14 posts, read 31,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
After reading your rude post here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/9346735-post53.html

I think I would just as soon you not move to Austin.
What post? :-)

LOL! I know exactly what you are referring to. My response to a CHRONIC COMPLAINER and naysayer.
It was in fun, and it makes me think that an uptight person would be an OUTCAST in Austin.

Are you .... you know, triangular?
That can't POSSIBLY be deleted in current context.

Last edited by mitchb2; 07-20-2009 at 09:08 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 12,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Im originally from champaign-urbana Illinois and I left because of the cold as well. you can do a lot more in 100 degree heat than you can in 0 degree cold (or even 30 degree cold). After 14 years in texas I get cold in anything under 75 (we keep the house at 76 for my wife and I have to use blankets).
I went to U of I from 98-03. Illinois was the only place i've lived where people were literally dying from the bitter winters and the humid summers.

If you're going to work in tech, you more than likely will work more north (i've worked in tech for the past 6 years and have never worked in south or central). Rent near the north/RR/georgetown until you get a better feeling of the city. I lived in RR for the first 2 years and while I'd prefer not to live there again, I don't regret it.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 AM

7 posts, read 18,305 times
we are also thinking to relocating to austin from southern utah. we flew out there in june and loved it. We liked lakeway, cedar park, bee caves. that is where we are looking. I feel the housing is much cheaper than where we live as well. Gas prices were about the same. Anywhere you go, someone will have something negative to say about it. Look at it this way, it's an adventure!!

Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 AM

80 posts, read 108,139 times
Why even consider Round Rock, Cedar Park or Williamson county at all if you want to move to Austin? Round Rock, Cedar Park and Williamson county are much more closely related to Waco in mind set than Austin. If you loved George W. Bush you will love Round Rock, Cedar Park and Williamson County, if not, you shoudln't move there because you won't like your neighbors, move to Austin instead.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
You obviously know VERY little about Williamson County.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:32 AM

80 posts, read 108,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
You obviously know VERY little about Williamson County.

I know enough to avoid Williamson county and its citizens at all all costs; however, if I do ever get somewhat depressed or feeling sorry for myself all I have to do if drive into Williamson County and I am so happy to get back to Travis county that I have forgotten what was troubling me in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin