Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,533 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a pet sitter and from my 17 yrs in Austin, I can recommend the Dr.s Woods at Balcones Animal Hospital and Lisa Willis as good vets; I've heard mostly good stories about them. I have heard mixed reviews about the Cat Hospital on Pond Springs Rd..
Contact me at 799-4848 if I can help with other pet care recommendations - Ginny

Last edited by virginia conklin; 06-23-2009 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 10:53 AM

200 posts, read 979,308 times
Thank you guys!
I will look into Dr. Shane Daigle at Premier Animal Hospital, I looked at the prices on the site, it seems very reasonable, less than what I am paying here.
I will also check into Balcones Animal Hospital.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:26 AM

198 posts, read 500,445 times
We are in RR and drive to Zoots (off 29 in Georgetown). Love Dr. Young & Dr. Zeh! Prices seem reasonable. We have a 10 yr old lab and a 15 yr old cat.

As for the UK, doctorjef, I concur with your comments. We lived in London for the last 3 years and our vet, Mr. Leggett (it took us awhile to remember to address him Mr since he's a vet surgeon) , was excellent. Our dog misses her off lead rambles, none of that around here. I guess that's why we're thinking about building her a swimming pool.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:34 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
centalaustinite: doesn't Texas Tech have a veterinary medicine school anymore? It certainly did in the past. Having said that, A&M has an international reputation. In fact, when I lived in London (from whence I'm posting this at the moment) our vet sent lab work on our sick cat to A&M. That's saying quite a lot, I think. The UK has a longstanding and deeply devoted pet culture and well established veternary medicine, yet they still don't have some of the technology that the school at TX A&M has.
I just checked the Texas Tech website and they only offer a degree in "pre-veterinary medicine" which I guess is the equivalent of a pre-med BA but not apparently the full vet designation. I recently read a piece in the Statesman that stated that A&M was the only school of veterinary medicine in the state which surprised me but I suppose that it is true. Texas Tech should be made a full Tier I research university and adding a school of veterinary medicine is one way to do it. In a state this size with ranching as a significant segment of the state economy and four large cities full of pets and a dozen smaller cities, the state could certainly use another school that can produce vets.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:43 PM

5 posts, read 14,690 times
I would definitely NOT recommend Dr. Daigle or Premier. He made a "bad call" with our dog and our dog only lived a week after our routine check-up. Needless to say, we will not go there for our other dog. A friend had a horrible experience(injured dog with no explanation) at the Pet Resort they advertise. They are definitely in it for the money...probably to pay off the nice facility. Please look around at the many many others before you think about going to Daigle. We wish we would have...

Last edited by Havens72; 06-23-2009 at 07:56 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 10:09 PM

313 posts, read 786,108 times
Dr. Daigle volunteered services for the organization we adopted our first dog from from so I don't know I'd say he's only in it for the money. I went to him a few times when I first adopted that dog (Daigle was too far away, so we changed vets) and I never had anything but positive things to say about his practice.

Vets deal with patients who can't speak, give them some slack. Human doctors make a lot of mistakes and they have the benefit of asking questions.

I know nothing of the dog day care he advertises, so I won't comment on it.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:01 AM

5 posts, read 14,690 times
Default Take your chances??

Pretty sad when a vet admits to his wrongdoing and uses the word "damn" in the explanation. I guess if you like that in a vet, go for it. If you heard the entire story that I obviously can't type right here, you would NEVER go there. I don't believe there should be an "oops" when it comes to your family pet dying.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:28 AM

1,306 posts, read 3,119,222 times
Quote:
I think the thing that varies is price (oops...as you've already said, centralaustinite). I take my animals to Balcones Animal Hospital on McNeil Rd. It's out of the way for me, but they're good and have always made services affordable for us.
Balcones Animal Hospital Inc - Austin, TX, 78729 - Citysearch
I use Balcones too for my cats and have had good experiences with them. Dr. Wood Sr. reminds me of an old country vet. Pretty no nonsense, won't push expensive foods on you, and affordable to boot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin