Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 AM

200 posts, read 979,308 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to the Round Rock area in a week, anyone know of any good, dependable vets in the Austin to Round Rock area?

Also, what do you guys use for heart worm and flea preventative? I have a Boxer mix that I will be mainly keeping indoors, but love to go hiking and swimming with. I heard from a friend in San Antonio that fleas are everywhere in Texas.

Thanks!

Last edited by Keliko; 06-22-2009 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 10:11 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
If you are moving to Round Rock, you want a vet in Round Rock, not in Austin.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM

200 posts, read 979,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
If you are moving to Round Rock, you want a vet in Round Rock, not in Austin.
I am willing to travel as long as it is a good vet.

So any vet in the Austin area! Thanks

Old 06-22-2009, 01:08 PM

107 posts, read 211,009 times
Dr. Shane Daigle at Premier Animal Hospital. It's near RR too. Best vet I've ever had, and I'd drive to him almost anywhere. He's gone above and beyond for us, more than once. Great guy, great vet.
Premier Animal Hospital - We care for your pets as if they were our own

Old 06-22-2009, 02:01 PM

97 posts, read 250,054 times
I currently work at an Animal Hospital in the Cleveland area. And, I, too, will be moving to Round Rock/Cedar Park late this year.

I found the name of a Vet that I was going to check into, in the March '09 issue of Cat Fancy that we get at work. There were Vets in various regions of the country that won "Best Vet" designations, including one in Round Rock! One of the regianal finalists is Lisa Willis and she is with Great Oaks Animal Hospital. They also have a great web site. If you go to this clinic and like it, please let me know!! Also, if anyone out there has used this clinic, it would be great to hear personal opinions.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Honestly, all the vets in the Austin/ Round Rock area are good. For the most part they all have degrees from TX A&M which is a first-rank vet school (and the only one in the state).

Vets tend to differ most on price and how much they make their practice resemble a human medical office -- but overall the quality is very high. You'd have a hard time finding a bad vet in the area.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:14 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
I think the thing that varies is price (oops...as you've already said, centralaustinite). I take my animals to Balcones Animal Hospital on McNeil Rd. It's out of the way for me, but they're good and have always made services affordable for us.
Balcones Animal Hospital Inc - Austin, TX, 78729 - Citysearch

Old 06-22-2009, 06:30 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Regarding fleas: for both dogs and cats, it is best to keep them on flea prevention all year round!

I am vigilant about it even though my cats are indoor only. We are around outdoor animals often and it is too easy to carry fleas inside on clothes.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:34 PM

122 posts, read 407,368 times
I second the vote for Dr. Daigle at Premier Pet Hospital in Cedar Park. He is the best vet I have ever been to. My pugs love him and the office staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keliko View Post
I'm moving to the Round Rock area in a week, anyone know of any good, dependable vets in the Austin to Round Rock area?

Also, what do you guys use for heart worm and flea preventative? I have a Boxer mix that I will be mainly keeping indoors, but love to go hiking and swimming with. I heard from a friend in San Antonio that fleas are everywhere in Texas.

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:11 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
centalaustinite: doesn't Texas Tech have a veterinary medicine school anymore? It certainly did in the past. Having said that, A&M has an international reputation. In fact, when I lived in London (from whence I'm posting this at the moment) our vet sent lab work on our sick cat to A&M. That's saying quite a lot, I think. The UK has a longstanding and deeply devoted pet culture and well established veternary medicine, yet they still don't have some of the technology that the school at TX A&M has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin