Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:33 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times

Advertisements

Unit 88 sold in March 2007 according to Travis County tax records.

A death in a property by reason other than natural causes is something that is asked and must be disclosed on a seller's disclosure form when selling real estate. I assume the buyer knew the history.

I'd personally probably not want to own a stigmatized property, but I can see how some would not care.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:41 PM

175 posts, read 303,941 times
You couldn't pay me to live in a property where someone had died, especially if it was a murder. That's just weird!

Old 07-01-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
puking and fist fights of yrs. past wouldn't bother me. Murdered people would...
We had a buyer ready to write an offer on a house that had been rebuilt/remodeled after a fire. When she learned that the seller's wife had died in the fire, it freaked her out and she didn't want to write the offer anymore. We totally understood. Somebody did eventually buy the house though.

Steve

Old 07-02-2009, 07:28 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
A death in a property by reason other than natural causes is something that is asked and must be disclosed on a seller's disclosure form when selling real estate.
The actual wording is:

"Any death on the Property except for those deaths caused by: natural causes, suicide, or accident unrelated to the condition of the Property."

The actual law, Texas Property Code 5.008, says:

(c) A seller or seller's agent shall have no duty to make a disclosure or release information related to whether a death by natural causes, suicide, or accident unrelated to the condition of the property occurred on the property or whether a previous occupant had, may have had, has, or may have AIDS, HIV related illnesses, or HIV infection.

Now, whether or not a murder would be considered an accident unrelated to the condition of the Property or not is not specifically stated, but I was taught in my real estate classes that the criteria is whether or not a condition of the property CAUSED the death (if someone fell downstairs, for example, that would be an accident related to the condition of the property; if someone was pushed downstairs, or got blind stinking drunk and fell down the stairs, that would not be related to the condition of the property because the property didn't cause the death).

As you can see, this quickly gets into the realm of arguments in court; my advice to clients is to disclose, disclose, disclose, but the law is not so clear.

I live in a house built in the early part of the 20th century. If I were squeamish about living in a house where someone has died, I would have to build a new home to be sure, and I would have to be very careful to research the history back as far as possible of the land on which the house was built. And I certainly wouldn't move to Europe!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Now, whether or not a murder would be considered an accident unrelated to the condition of the Property or not is not specifically stated
A murder, by definition, cannot be an accident, otherwise it would be manslaughter.

When in doubt, disclose. I think a high profile murder would be hard to withhold and say that it would not materially affect the decision of a buyer.

Steve

Old 07-02-2009, 10:30 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
My mom lives pretty close to the house where Andrea Yates killed her kids. I think now someone owns it, but she said for years that thing stood empty. They couldn't even get renters for a long time.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I'd think for many people, it would be, in a high profile case like that, not so much the death itself as the gawker factor.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:13 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
I guess the same feelings don't apply to commercial properties. I seem to recall that the Anderson Lane strip mall where the Yogurt Shop Murders happened was leased up again fairly quickly (well, after the fire damage was fixed). I can't recall which actual store is in that spot.. Does anyone know? I think it might be the play-it-again sports or a check cashing place.

Very interesting stuff turning up about that case. I'm sure we'll be hearing some of it when the new trial comes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: