Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 07:50 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,484 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know I'm going to start a fight with this question but I am considering re-locating to Austin and I want to know what true housing costs are in the best neighborhoods.

Some of my criteria:

Looking for neighborhoods with a high concentration of professionals and well maintained homes. Yes, I know the two don't always go together but I do stand a better chance.

Not a big fan of neighborhoods manufactured by builders to provide "affordable homes" for professionals.

I would rather live in the worst house in the best neighborhood than the best house in a dodgy neighborhood.

Not looking for a million dollar home but a home priced in line with a professional salary.

Location, Location, Location. I do not want to have to drive miles and miles to get somewhere. I also need a neighborhood grocery store in case I'm missing a crucial recipe ingredient when my dinner guests are expected shortly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 12:26 PM

139 posts, read 450,904 times
Probably need more detail to answer this:

suburban v. central?
more specific price range?
size?
other amenities (parks, shopping, views, etc...)?

Old 07-06-2009, 03:16 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,484 times
Location: Suburban unless I can find a nice house in the right neighborhood that has a yard. I have a retired racing greyhound. Price Range: $300-$500k. Is that unrealistic? Size: 2600-3100 sq ft. I need a close grocery store. I like to cook and entertain.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:22 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Are schools important? Is age of home important? Can you deal with some degree of a fixer-upper?

The good news is that $300-500K can get you in many very, very good neighborhoods in Austin... especially with your ability to consider "the cheapest house in a great neighborhood". The bad news is that 2600-3100 is difficult in the close-in, established good neighborhoods at the price range you specified. Yard is easy, close to grocery store and professionals living there is no problem either.

Maybe Northwest Hills? Barton Hills? Travis Heights? SoCo? Westlake/Rollingwood? All are possible in your price range, but not at the sq ft size you may be wanting.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:35 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,017,456 times
If you're willing to purchase a new condo, they are selling for that price range in Bouldin Creek close to the HEB on Oltorf/first, but it would be between 1500-2000 sf. Sunset Valley maybe? It's a tiny city in SW Austin at Brodie/Mopac. I have heard there is no residential real estate tax either, as the city is 80% shopping center. diswclaimer: I can't find tax rates for SV readily available anywhere, so legwork would be required. The proximity is great, and I think it's one of the best locations in S. Austin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_Valley,_Texas

Old 07-06-2009, 08:20 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
I can only tell you about SW because that's the only place I've lived here. At any rate, you would easily find a home in your price range down here. You can easily find something in your price range with your specifications in Villages of Western Oaks, Legend Oaks, and Circle C ranch. None is more than a five to eight minute drive from a grocery store.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:31 PM

6 posts, read 27,834 times
The area you are describing sounds like it could be Westlake. The neighborhoods are old but the houses could be new or old. The area is only 15 minutes from downtown but feels like it's out in the country. There are several trees - which is very important b/c of the heat- SHADE! It's fabulous. Westlake Hills and the area of Austin next to Westlake Hills is called Westlake. Both are great but you will find a tax break if you live in Westlake instead of Westlake Hills. I would definitely recommend checking it out. We love it here. Our house is a block off the lake...needs work....but as you said location, location, location! You just can't go wrong with anything in Westlake. Good luck!

Old 07-06-2009, 08:57 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,151 times
Forget these suburban wannabes - though both Westlake and Rollingwood can be lovely. For the top end of your price range, you could easily buy a little less square footage and the cheapest house in the most desirable neighborhoods in Central Austin. Much more snob appeal and close to the best grocery stores, dog parks, water, restaurants and nightlife: Pemberton, Old Enfield, Clarkesville, Old West Austin, Tarrytown, Swede Hill, Hyde Park, North Campus, Judge's Hill, Brykerwoods, Balcones. For the lower end of your price-range, I would look at Rosedale, Wilshire Woods, Allandale, Crestview. All older neighborhoods - mostly with sidewalks, towering trees, and many walkable for you and the dog to excellent grocery stores, bars, coffee shops etc...For your price range, and a few small compromises in square footage, you can still enjoy some of the best that Austin has to offer.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Forget these suburban wannabes - though both Westlake and Rollingwood can be lovely. For the top end of your price range, you could easily buy a little less square footage and the cheapest house in the most desirable neighborhoods in Central Austin. Much more snob appeal and close to the best grocery stores, dog parks, water, restaurants and nightlife: Pemberton, Old Enfield, Clarkesville, Old West Austin, Tarrytown, Swede Hill, Hyde Park, North Campus, Judge's Hill, Brykerwoods, Balcones. For the lower end of your price-range, I would look at Rosedale, Wilshire Woods, Allandale, Crestview. All older neighborhoods - mostly with sidewalks, towering trees, and many walkable for you and the dog to excellent grocery stores, bars, coffee shops etc...For your price range, and a few small compromises in square footage, you can still enjoy some of the best that Austin has to offer.
What's a suburban wannabe? The OP asked about suburbs.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:11 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
The size they requested does not fit with what you suggested. I don't think you are being helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin