Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 02:35 PM

73 posts, read 148,151 times

Advertisements

I agree with velomann, and I don't see why people have such a problem with bicyclists moving between the curb and cars in slow traffic. Believe me, you would be much more inconvenienced if I were to "get in line" behind the other cars and make everyone behind me wait while I plod forward at 10 mph. It is much easier for the bicyclist AND CARS to move to the front and quickly go through the light when it changes. Some countries have intersections set up with bicycle slots at stoplights specifically for bicycles to do this. It's safe and efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 03:13 PM

11 posts, read 23,788 times
Austin Bans texting while driving statesman.com

Old 10-22-2009, 03:26 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,126,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeet Tea View Post
Austin Bans texting while driving statesman.com
IMHO; this is an excellent thing. I can't imagine anyone with Ninja like skills to read email and drive at the same time safely.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:16 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,323,982 times
Exempt from the ban will be navigational systems, texting in emergency situations and public safety personnel who use wireless devices while on duty.

Why would there be ANY exemptions? Isn't it just as 'dangerous' to be fiddling with your TomTom? What about the navigation system on my Iphone?

Old 10-22-2009, 04:22 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,376,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonman View Post
I agree with velomann, and I don't see why people have such a problem with bicyclists moving between the curb and cars in slow traffic. Believe me, you would be much more inconvenienced if I were to "get in line" behind the other cars and make everyone behind me wait while I plod forward at 10 mph. It is much easier for the bicyclist AND CARS to move to the front and quickly go through the light when it changes. Some countries have intersections set up with bicycle slots at stoplights specifically for bicycles to do this. It's safe and efficient.

I'll tell you why it is a big deal--because drivers aren't trained to lookbehind and to their right when turning. No reason they should be looking that direction when it is far more important to check traffic coming from the left and peds in the crosswalk.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:46 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,781,477 times
Next please ban non-hands free cell phones. Everyday I almost wreck or get blocked by someone more interested in their cell phone conversation than actually driving.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:34 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Perhaps more relevant...

AUSTIN HAS ENACTED THE 3-FOOT PASSING LAW ON THEIR OWN:

Austin Local News - "Safe Passing" law gets council approval

Ironically, this law should apply to Perry and/or his motorcade as he's tooling around Austin. I love it.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,559,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammonman View Post
I agree with velomann, and I don't see why people have such a problem with bicyclists moving between the curb and cars in slow traffic. Believe me, you would be much more inconvenienced if I were to "get in line" behind the other cars and make everyone behind me wait while I plod forward at 10 mph. It is much easier for the bicyclist AND CARS to move to the front and quickly go through the light when it changes.

Sorry, long time cyclist in disagreement here...you propose to be at the front at every intersection while you plod forward at 10 mph...so the cars must pass you again in order to reach the 25-35-45 mph speed limit?...
Never mind the danger when car X moves a little too close to the parked car or truck and you try to squeeze through and catch a mirror in the face. Would you make the same 'lane-splitting', right passing argument for scooters and motorcycles...like some countries do?

Gotta say...stay in the lane unless you have a shoulder and/or plenty of room to move over and let cars/trucks pass. Unless you are in town, you're not likely to see them again...they get to go 35+, most of us mortals are limited to 20-25 on a bike.

The really bad offenders are the entire pelotons that circle around stopped cars at intersections and then block traffic while they try to clip in and plod forward...all you have to do is let the cars go and you aren't likely to see them again if the road is open. I challenge a few things in life...two-ton cars and trucks are not things I challenge while completely exposed on a bicycle.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 PM

804 posts, read 1,965,417 times
Council Approves Text Message Ban (http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/local/102209_Council_Approves_Text_Message_Ban - broken link)

Old 10-22-2009, 07:00 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,126,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Sorry, long time cyclist in disagreement here...you propose to be at the front at every intersection while you plod forward at 10 mph...so the cars must pass you again in order to reach the 25-35-45 mph speed limit?...
Never mind the danger when car X moves a little too close to the parked car or truck and you try to squeeze through and catch a mirror in the face. Would you make the same 'lane-splitting', right passing argument for scooters and motorcycles...like some countries do?

Gotta say...stay in the lane unless you have a shoulder and/or plenty of room to move over and let cars/trucks pass. Unless you are in town, you're not likely to see them again...they get to go 35+, most of us mortals are limited to 20-25 on a bike.

The really bad offenders are the entire pelotons that circle around stopped cars at intersections and then block traffic while they try to clip in and plod forward...all you have to do is let the cars go and you aren't likely to see them again if the road is open. I challenge a few things in life...two-ton cars and trucks are not things I challenge while completely exposed on a bicycle.
I ride all the time and I usually ride up to the front at the intersection without blocking traffic. Typically, I am the guy waving cars through to turn right. I have not been in peletons that circle around cars, where are you seeing this? I haven't seen this along parmer or the surrounding roads in Cedar Park. For my safety I will not ride downtown unless it is part of the ms150. Besides head north on parmer and you are into the quiet country where it is much nicer anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin