Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:13 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,471,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Where were some of you when the Austin Gestapo decided it could forcibly draw blood from citizens without their permission? That seems like something to get angry about, banning texting while driving not so much.
This was the police chiefs call. No one had any say in it except him.
Skrewed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 09:17 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Anyone that wants to comment on the bike proposition, (if they physically can), should go for a few rides. I just got back from the post office and I come home with such a disgust toward drivers. I'm so far from perfect I shouldn't even be talking but here goes...

Get a clue: PEDESTRIANS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY.

People, with their tonnage of a vehicle will get so close as to make the hairs stand up on your arm. Is it going to take that much time from your day to SLOW DOWN and have some courtesy?

It's about time when we start planning "communities" we start planning for walk and bike paths. Especially here where you don't get snow. Even people with wheelchairs would be able to get around on a nice path but I suppose the majority would be bitching they're getting in the way.

Sorry, but I cannot believe what jerks people are behind the wheel.

Of course I'm no longer a jerk so I can talk. You know that's a joke...right? I can be the biggest jerk of all but my jerkiness isn't being a jerk to bike riders. I actually MOVE out of the way and give them room.

The road is owned today by bullies. Bullies with big vehicles, fast vehicles and a complete disregard for others.

And while we talk about "rights"....since when do people have the "right" to put others in harms way? Is that some God given thing I never learned about?

Please enlighten me.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:38 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Anyone that wants to comment on the bike proposition, (if they physically can), should go for a few rides. I just got back from the post office and I come home with such a disgust toward drivers. I'm so far from perfect I shouldn't even be talking but here goes...

Get a clue: PEDESTRIANS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY.

People, with their tonnage of a vehicle will get so close as to make the hairs stand up on your arm. Is it going to take that much time from your day to SLOW DOWN and have some courtesy?

It's about time when we start planning "communities" we start planning for walk and bike paths. Especially here where you don't get snow. Even people with wheelchairs would be able to get around on a nice path but I suppose the majority would be bitching they're getting in the way.

Sorry, but I cannot believe what jerks people are behind the wheel.

Of course I'm no longer a jerk so I can talk. You know that's a joke...right? I can be the biggest jerk of all but my jerkiness isn't being a jerk to bike riders. I actually MOVE out of the way and give them room.

The road is owned today by bullies. Bullies with big vehicles, fast vehicles and a complete disregard for others.

And while we talk about "rights"....since when do people have the "right" to put others in harms way? Is that some God given thing I never learned about?

Please enlighten me.
Pedestrians do have the right away but bicyclists are not pedestrians. Were you walking or riding your bike?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:18 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinAaron View Post
Indeed, I have. Which is why I now ONLY ride on back roads and off major, inner-city throughways. I learned that city streets are meant for auto traffic, not bike traffic. I think I would feel differently if I knew I could keep up with the flow of traffic. Some cyclists can. Most can not. Metro offers racks for bikes, and rides are very affordable. I don't mind cyclists in "my lane". It's just as much their lane as mine. BUT . . . cease the flow of traffic? Time to reconsider your means of travel. It's unsafe to ALL on the street. Not just the cyclists.

Case in point . . . Cyclist riding southbound on Lamar. He was crossing over Lady Bird Lake. He was staying as close to curb as possible (a rare occurrence with ATX cyclists). I was in the left-hand lane. There was a truck passing me on the right (yes, he was speeding). The truck slowed down (a little) right as he got alongside me, but suddenly the cyclists swerved over into the middle of the lane. The truck came into my lane, pushed me into oncoming traffic (no van filled with family . . . this time), and he clipped the backside of the cyclists.

When all was said and done, and the police finished speaking with everyone, you know why the cyclists had swerved? A piece of rubber tire in the street. That's it. He could have caused quite a catastrophe that afternoon. Granted, the truck WAS speeding, but how many of you have ever sped before? If even for 10 seconds? Exactly. Did the truck see the cyclists? Sure he did. But maybe he didn't. Maybe his kid in the backseat was choking on something. Maybe the kid was bleeding. Never know what can cause a distraction for one second. And that second happens to be the one when the cyclists outs in the middle of the road.

Bikes and cars don't mix. Personal opinion is that, if there is no bike lane, then there should be no bike.
AA, I too avoid the busy roads in my area. At times I do have to cycle on a stretch of busy road because there is not alternative. What the cyclist did was wrong and dangerous. However, if the truck saw the cyclist, why in blazes did he have to squeeze between you and the bike. Is that driver so self important that s/he cannot provide an extra 30-90 seconds of their time to safely share the road.
Or would you rather have the extra traffic lane blocked off permanantly for cyclists? Of course not, it would cause traffic headaches. So why not share the road with the occasional cyclist? I know there are some self centered, selfish cyclists but if we hit you, you live. If you hit us, we have a high chance of injury or death. Where is the "live and let live" approach I perceive(d) Austin has?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:38 AM

804 posts, read 1,965,086 times
Quote:

We don't need more laws- we need to enforce the ones we have.
Laws do not always need enforcement to have an effect - they are also meant to deter some behaviors. The fear of getting a ticket or higher insurance premiums is enough to discourage some. Enforcement is to penalize those who persist in doing it anyway out of disregard for traffic, safety, and the law.

You want lawless wild west? Move to a log cabin in the hills. No need to think of anyone else there but yourself. Me, me, me, me, and my phone.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:40 AM

804 posts, read 1,965,086 times
Default Buahahaha

Austin texting-while-driving moves ahead (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/08/28/0828texting.html - broken link)

Old 08-28-2009, 11:51 AM

85 posts, read 207,775 times
cubssoxfan -

Oh, I was WAY more pissed off at the truck. Believe me. The cyclist didn't push me head-first into oncoming traffic. I'm not sure if he saw the cyclist, or not. I was not present for his questioning. Regardless of what the cyclist did, had the truck NOT been speeding, none of this would have taken place.

And I agree that if a cyclist hits a car, we both live. BUT . . . most often (for MOST drivers), if we see a cyclist about to hit us, we swerve/stop/react suddenly to prevent said accident (live and let live). Any of these sudden acts could place additional motorists/cyclists in harm's way. *Example above.*

I also agree that are TOO many self-centered, righteous cyclists here in Austin. Yeah they're "doing their part" to lower their carbon footprint. Doesn't give them the right to roll 3 deep, uphill, in the middle of the lane during rush hour traffic. To me, that's the same as the speeding truck; an accident waiting to happen.

Still stand by my prior statement: Cars and bikes don't mix.

Like my mom always said, "You play with fire..." Well, you know the rest.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:02 PM

139 posts, read 350,921 times
Cars and bikes do NOT mix. Cars have their own lane; bikes need their own lane. The two don't go together in any way, shape, or form. Cars don't drive on the railroad, planes don't land on the freeway (well, most of the time). Yes, it can be done, but it is wise for anyone involved? If a car hits a cyclist in a bike lane, then there should be the maximum punishment served. But if a bicyclist is on the edge of a car lane and swerves and gets hit by a car, then who gets blamed? It's ridiculous.

Last edited by kingugly; 08-28-2009 at 12:11 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 12:25 PM

102 posts, read 266,015 times
Interesting comment by our Police Chief Art Acevedo on the proposed text ban-" he said that the ban would most likely exempt officers but that he encourages officers to use the computers only while stopped at red lights."-who will be enforcing the police force on this one?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:09 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Quote:
I also agree that are TOO many self-centered, righteous cyclists here in Austin. Yeah they're "doing their part" to lower their carbon footprint. Doesn't give them the right to roll 3 deep, uphill, in the middle of the lane during rush hour traffic. To me, that's the same as the speeding truck; an accident waiting to happen.

Still stand by my prior statement: Cars and bikes don't mix.
I really get a kick out of the bike messengers in downtown Chicago-they're suicidal. And I agree about the 3 abreast during rush hour- really gets the driver p***ed at ALL cyclists and makes the driver less patient when they encounter me..so those pompous knuckleheads indirectly endanger me.
I don't encounter the 3 abreast in suburban CHI. Most annoying thing I have to deal with is the occasional imbecile riding the wrong way down the street, towards me in my lane almost always without a helmet.
Austin was definitely weird in that they had bike lanes painted on some pretty busy roads like 360. Nothing like that here, thankfully we usually have quieter roads to use as alternate routes.

As far as texting......... all cell phone use should be required to be handsfree. BUT, if you are using your Blackberry to dial from your address book and the cop stops you because you were typing in contact info, are you busted for texting while driving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin