Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 05:34 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times

Advertisements

I find it outrageous that people look to the government to protect them from every danger with new laws, and want their neighbors to experience larger and more aggressive fines for breaking these laws... but don't want the government to make sure that the private insurance companies provide their neighbors with healthcare.

Everyone hates congress, but keeps reelecting THEIR congressman...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 07:16 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,649 times
Default Texting ban???omg!!!!

OMG, Austin will NEVER pass a cell phone or text banning bill. It is FAR FAR too conservative. Do you remember what happened when the city tried to pass a no-smoking ordinance?? About the entire city was up in arms...heck, i thought there would be rioting. Now we all know that about 90% of austin citizens are smokers, but OMG???? It's all about civil liberties people and the vasy majority of the population in this area not wanting the big government telling them what they can and cannot do.

MARK MY WORDS. There will be NO CELL PHONE or TEXTING ban in this little town!!!!

No way in hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxguero View Post
While i agree with giving bicyclists safety and space should the city ban texting while driving?

Ban on texting while driving to be discussed Thursday (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/08/25/0825texting.html - broken link)

Old 08-26-2009, 09:26 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,097 times
[quote=CptnRn;10466575. Do we really need a new law to address these things?[/quote]

We do only if they take the money from the tickets and build bike ways. I say go for it. Ticket, ticket, ticket and build bike ways. The only way to really get to people is through the pocketbook eh?

Old 08-26-2009, 09:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
We do only if they take the money from the tickets and build bike ways. I say go for it. Ticket, ticket, ticket and build bike ways. The only way to really get to people is through the pocketbook eh?
Build bike ways where in downtown ? There's no room left.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,123,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
This 3' law would apply to bicyclists also would it not? So if there is already a line of cars next to the gutter stopped at a traffic light, it would be illegal (if it isn't already) for a bicyclist to pass them all in the gutter and pull to the head of the line wouldn't it? Each car passed would be a separate offense.

Gee wouldn't that be something to see bicyclists wait for their turn like every other vehicle on the road, wouldn't that be something?
Many of us already do!

Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
OMG, Austin will NEVER pass a cell phone or text banning bill. It is FAR FAR too conservative. Do you remember what happened when the city tried to pass a no-smoking ordinance?? About the entire city was up in arms...heck, i thought there would be rioting. Now we all know that about 90% of austin citizens are smokers, but OMG???? It's all about civil liberties people and the vasy majority of the population in this area not wanting the big government telling them what they can and cannot do.

MARK MY WORDS. There will be NO CELL PHONE or TEXTING ban in this little town!!!!

No way in hell.
Yes, I remember. The city DID pass a no-smoking ordinance. Then, when a compromise was reached, and private business owners were required to ban smoking in their establishments UNLESS they jumped through hoops and got a license as a smoking allowed establishment and posted on the door that they were such so that anti-smokers would know that and could vote with their dollars elsewhere, this was entirely unacceptable to the anti-smoking crowd who threw tantrums until the very reasonable compromise that allowed everyone to have a choice was overturned.

I thought the compromise was brilliant, and I thought the tantrums and the overturning of it exposed the objection to smoking for what it really was - nothing to do with not wanting to personally be exposed to cigarette smokoe, everything to do with making everyone else make the same choices they did.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:59 AM

804 posts, read 1,964,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

I thought the compromise was brilliant, and I thought the tantrums and the overturning of it exposed the objection to smoking for what it really was - nothing to do with not wanting to personally be exposed to cigarette smoke, everything to do with making everyone else make the same choices they did.
Good point! In the end it had more to do with politics and control than exposure to second-hand smoke. One business owner told me that the 'exception' required purchasing an overpriced ventilation system from a specific vendor which had arrangements with the city. Follow the money...

Old 08-27-2009, 12:13 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Ah, so enforcing the present laws is not working.

What makes you think that enforcing texting laws will work? It will be just another law to break. Even the Statesman article today said that enforcing the texting ban will be nearly impossible.

We don't need more laws- we need to enforce the ones we have.
There is too much disagreement over whether texting while driving is considering dangerous, so it's not enforced. It's not enforced until someone causes an accident - kind of pointless then.

Does anyone know if APD is even permitted to ticket for reckless driving caused by cell phone use? Sometimes (selective) enforcement is a matter of department policy or orders from superiors.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:33 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,143 times
Where were some of you when the Austin Gestapo decided it could forcibly draw blood from citizens without their permission? That seems like something to get angry about, banning texting while driving not so much.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:57 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
Where were some of you when the Austin Gestapo decided it could forcibly draw blood from citizens without their permission? That seems like something to get angry about, banning texting while driving not so much.
Never heard anything about it, must have been in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin