Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 06:43 PM

25 posts, read 71,824 times

Advertisements

Dear All,

We have been looking at homes to buy in SW Austin.
Besides accessibility issues, what are the pros and cons of a 1 story home vs 2 story home?

Can somebody please advice?

Thanks a lot for all your help in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 07:03 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,943,574 times
A two story home allows you to have more square footage on the same footprint as a one story. Other than that, it's a matter of personal preference. The only things I would worry about are making sure you're not the only 2 story house in the neighborhood, and making sure you have enough cooling power with a single AC unit, or have separate units for upstairs and downstairs.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:41 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,066,502 times
With a one story your footprint is typically a larger percentage of the lot. This affects yard size obviously. However, if you ever want to put in more patio or a pool, you need to consider that Austin only allows 45% impervious cover on each lot. What we found is that if we ever wanted to put a swimming pool in our yard, we would need a two story because almost all of the single stories in this area with their driveways, sidewalks, and patios are at 44 to 45% already.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:52 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,110,648 times
If one takes out the cement driveway and puts in one of the new, permeable driveway materials, does the city subtract that amount from the 45% total?

Old 09-13-2009, 07:55 PM

282 posts, read 526,676 times
There is always going to be something upstairs that you need...WHEN YOU ARE DOWNSTAIRS and vice versa....it kinda gets old after a while, especially when the washer and dryer are downstairs!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:00 PM

Moonlady and Jennibc: Thanks a lot for your replies !!

The neighborhod we are looking in, there is a higher number of two stories accompanied with a smaller number of one stories...
While we personally are getting biased towards a one story house, we are hearing varied opinions about the two. Some people say two stories will have a higher utility bill than a one story and some say the exact opposite of that.

Others warn you about the high $/sf cost of two stories vs one stories as Moonlady pointed out. I would think that if the $/sf of a one story is high at buying time, the same would also apply at selling time, right?

Jennibc, thanks a lot for your pointer about impervious space restrictions. We do not have any plans of putting a pool etc in our yard and so, we should be OK on that front.

Finally, how would I get more information about the AC unit installed in the prospective house? Is that something my relator would have to ask the seller about? Are there any specs available somewhere to relate HVAC capacity to sf of house?

Thanks a lot once again for all your replies.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
There is always going to be something upstairs that you need...WHEN YOU ARE DOWNSTAIRS and vice versa....it kinda gets old after a while, especially when the washer and dryer are downstairs!
Excellent point.. so the 1 story seems to be winning so far !!
Thanks a lot once again for all your replies. Keep them coming...

Old 09-13-2009, 08:24 PM

325 posts, read 1,021,152 times
My thought is that a 1 story might be a better resale for the future because everyone is able to live in a one story, but not everyone can live in a 2 story. My mom has very bad hips and knees and us baby boomers are getting older and may need a one story. I currently live in a story in which I love, but our next home will be a one story. As I look at homes for sale on line, it seems that you do get more square footage for your money on a 2 story. What I do like about our 2 story is I feel I can get away from the noise of the 1st level, but I still vote for the 1 story. If there are fewer in that neighborhood, I would think that would be another advantage for resale. Also, you can have all different ceiling heights or designs in a one story and it seems like it would be easier to add wires and such later on in a one story, like cables from the attic.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,444,539 times
My experience is that one stories are significantly better for resale in neighborhoods where there are a lot more two stories than one stories.

That being said, you should buy the house that you will enjoy living in while you're there.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,468,806 times
When my kids were babies, I wanted a 1 story so we would all be on the same floor, for safety-reasons. We searched & searched for a brand-new, affordable, 4 bedroom, 1 story. We ended up staying here and as we and our visiting parents get older, I can see the benefit of not having stairs. So I think 2 types of people will especially like a 1 story--those with really young kids and those who are aging. In between, it would've been nice to keep older kids, their noise and their mess upstairs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: