Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 03:57 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times

Advertisements

I find the resentment that some Texan's express regarding Californian's coming here and buying up Texas land to be very amusing, considering that I moved here from Colorado. Where many Coloradoan's had resentful attitudeds towards all of the Texan's who were coming to Colorado and buying up their mountains!

What goes around comes around.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:10 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I wonder sometimes if there is a contingent of people who moved to Austin because it met some inner need in them to feel cool, different and progressive. Kind of like being cool-by-association. I live in Austin therefore I am the Austin reputation-- laidback, hip, educated, interesting.

I do think you have to buy the weird jeans, sunglasses and "vintage" clothing first ;0
Of course! I'm sure a huge number of people who move to Austin because they want to "be cool" and that is an easy way to stake that claim, at least with the folks back home. But for the most part I don't think most people in Austin are all that caught up in "trying to be cool". At least none of the people I associate with.

I do however have to laugh at the newspaper articles that show photographs of all the "social events" in Austin. Looking at the photographs, I rarely think they look "cool", mostly I think they look "hot and sweaty". Such is the nature of social gatherings on Austin.

Austin is the most relaxed and least pretentious cities I have ever lived in.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:56 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why do you say that ?

To play devil's advocate, people who move around so much don't put down roots and help form a community. They don't care about the future of "their place" because they know they won't be staying there long.
Well I'm not advocating moving around all the time but I think everybody ought to move at least one time. Everybody should just experience what else is out there. Also if you live in a particular place you will appreciate it more if you've seen other places. You will know more about which place is good and which place isn't so good. You won't take it for granted as much.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:32 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Once again these broad generalizations such as a MASSIVE problem with Californians is way overblown. You must separate what you read on places like C-D from how people actually behave in real life.

It can almost be sport for some people to complain about Yankees or Californians. Yet in day to day life - at work - or with families and school kids people in Austin (and Texas) generally are friendly to all.
OK, well... several people, in my experience, in Austin had a MASSIVE problem with me and/or my husband coming from California. Like, within 3 minutes of meeting us. All of them said something like "You Californians coming here and buying up all our land." and we always responded "Well, we MOVED from California, but we're not Californians... plus we're renting." and then followed up with "So, you were born & raised in Austin?"

None of them were. "No, but I'm a Texan!" they would reply proudly.

One time we were looking for a printer to do business with (we do publishing), and the woman was so rude about us moving from California that it cost them our business. Another time, it was during a job interview & my husband ended up turning down the job because he was so insulted by how rude the person was. Didn't want to work with him. There were several other instances as well.

We got so paranoid and freaked out by this board AND the insulting things that people said to us (in real life) that we stopped telling people we'd moved from California and instead said we were from Boston & Chicago (where we're each from originally). Apparently that's ok since no one has given us crap about it other than "You're nice for a Bostonian... I always thought they were cold & unfriendly!"

Old 10-17-2009, 08:48 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
We got so paranoid and freaked out by this board AND the insulting things that people said to us (in real life) that we stopped telling people we'd moved from California and instead said we were from Boston & Chicago (where we're each from originally). Apparently that's ok since no one has given us crap about it other than "You're nice for a Bostonian... I always thought they were cold & unfriendly!"
That really sucks.

I'll just make the statement right now that anyone on this board or in the real world who judges someone by where they're from without getting to know them first is an *sshole, a douchebag and a phony.

Their opinion is void.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
I'm thinking that I'm going to second that.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
OK, well... several people, in my experience, in Austin had a MASSIVE problem with me and/or my husband coming from California. Like, within 3 minutes of meeting us. All of them said something like "You Californians coming here and buying up all our land." and we always responded "Well, we MOVED from California, but we're not Californians... plus we're renting." and then followed up with "So, you were born & raised in Austin?"

None of them were. "No, but I'm a Texan!" they would reply proudly.

One time we were looking for a printer to do business with (we do publishing), and the woman was so rude about us moving from California that it cost them our business. Another time, it was during a job interview & my husband ended up turning down the job because he was so insulted by how rude the person was. Didn't want to work with him. There were several other instances as well.

This is another thing that I don't understand. Why would some Texans complain about Californians moving to TX? I would take this as a compliment. If people from CA are moving to TX then that means that CA isn't that good and they think TX might be better. That's not a bad thing but a good thing. TX is better than most places are that's why everybody keeps moving here. People are leaving high cost of living, high tax places like CA, NY and MA and they're going to low cost of living, low tax places like TX. They're tired of being ripped off in other places so they come to TX.

Old 10-18-2009, 01:11 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
This is another thing that I don't understand. Why would some Texans complain about Californians moving to TX? I would take this as a compliment. If people from CA are moving to TX then that means that CA isn't that good and they think TX might be better. That's not a bad thing but a good thing. TX is better than most places are that's why everybody keeps moving here. People are leaving high cost of living, high tax places like CA, NY and MA and they're going to low cost of living, low tax places like TX. They're tired of being ripped off in other places so they come to TX.
Not sure if I'd lay it on that thick but hey, I'm sure that some people see things that way.

And really, why do some people find it necessary to put down one state to prop up another? It's the United effing States of America. UNITED. We're only as strong as our weakest link.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Not sure if I'd lay it on that thick but hey, I'm sure that some people see things that way.

And really, why do some people find it necessary to put down one state to prop up another? It's the United effing States of America. UNITED. We're only as strong as our weakest link.
I don't understand that either. There is tons of regionalism on City-Data and also in real life. It's not only between states but within states. When I lived in Lubbock, TX some of the people in west TX don't like people in east or central TX. They say that people in central TX or east TX are a**holes. So you have this crap within states even. That being the case you're definitely going to have it between states. A lot of people in upstate NY don't like people in NYC. People I've met from Syracuse, Buffalo, etc don't have a good impression of people in NYC. So it's the same thing everywhere. Some people only like you if you're from their tiny piece of the world. If you're a local then you're cool and if you're from somewhere else then go f*** yourself.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post

By the way optimistic pessimist, that's kind of funny. That reminds me of Full Metal Jacket. The joker had a peace symbol pinned to his shirt and he had born to kill written on his helmet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin