Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 11:47 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times

Advertisements

I just saw this article in the Community Impact News. Highway 45 SW plans remain on hold indefinitely (http://www.impactnews.com/southwest-austin/144-news/5997-highway-45-sw-plans-remain-on-hold-indefinitely - broken link)

Quote:
After exploring options for funding State Highway 45 Southwest this summer, it looks as if the long-delayed road connecting FM 1626 to MoPac is still no closer to construction. Unable to pay for the project without local funding and with no identified sources of local funds, the decades-old project envisioned to divert traffic off of Brodie Lane cannot move forward.
County Judge Sam Biscoe chairs the SH 45 SW Committee, formed earlier this year by the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization—the group responsible for coordinating regional transportation planning and approving the use of federal transportation funds within Williamson, Travis and Hays counties. The committee, tasked with finding the quickest way to complete the road, reported to the CAMPO Transportation Policy Board at a September meeting progress on SH 45 SW would be impossible without drastic changes to CAMPO policy and a commitment of taxpayer dollars from local governments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 02:02 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I just saw this article in the Community Impact News. Highway 45 SW plans remain on hold indefinitely (http://www.impactnews.com/southwest-austin/144-news/5997-highway-45-sw-plans-remain-on-hold-indefinitely - broken link)
Yea, my husband directed me to this yesterday as he said "glad we didn't buy that house in Shady Hollow" Traffic is only going to get worse there without them doing something about 45.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:03 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,319 times
If anyone can get things done its these guys!! ---NOT

"the SH 45 SW Committee, formed earlier this year by the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization—the group responsible for coordinating regional transportation planning and approving the use of federal transportation funds within Williamson, Travis and Hays counties."

Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
I seem to recall that this highway was funded at one time, so I searched for it and found this article dated Jan. 30, 2009, Toll 45 SW on track for 2011 construction (http://impactnews.com/southwest-austin/news/3001-toll-45-sw-on-track-for-2011-construction - broken link) , which said:

Quote:
Originally, the Texas Department of Transportation planned to begin construction on Toll 45 SW this year, but budget issues in 2008 brought the project to a halt. With funding issues now ironed out, TxDOT has completed the design process for Toll 45 SW and is currently working on a biological evaluation to examine the project’s effect on nearby wildlife and water.
The evaluation is just one piece of the overall environmental assessment, which will ultimately be submitted to TxDOT’s environmental division for approval in late 2010.
If all goes according to plan, construction of Toll 45 SW could be put up for bid in December 2010, with building beginning in spring 2011.

TxDOT requested CAMPO transfer construction funding for Toll 45 SW to go to other projects until work on the road is ready to begin. At that time, TxDOT will go before CAMPO to get the project on the metropolitan planning organization’s short-term project list, called the Transportation Improvement Program.
CTRMA Director of Communications Steve Pustelnyk said the agency is focusing on the projects that have the most potential to relieve traffic congestion first.
“We have five main projects that we’re working on right now, and I’d say that 45 SW and the Y in Oak Hill are probably at the end of the priority list at this point,” Pustelnyk said. “As we get through those projects and as the environmental work gets done on the southwest projects, then we’ll be able to turn our priority to those.”

This phase of the environmental process may lead to modifications in design, but it is unlikely the road would be cancelled entirely.
This sounds like broken promises!

Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 AM

31 posts, read 61,977 times
Just lower the speed limit for now and be done with it. 70 mph with no turning lanes into these subdivisions is wrong. Post a 70 mph speed sign with no police around people will do 90 mph and they are. I surely would not want to be turning right at 15mph with a suv doing 90 mph behide me. Would you?

Old 11-01-2009, 01:13 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinhome View Post
Just lower the speed limit for now and be done with it. 70 mph with no turning lanes into these subdivisions is wrong. Post a 70 mph speed sign with no police around people will do 90 mph and they are. I surely would not want to be turning right at 15mph with a suv doing 90 mph behide me. Would you?
Put your turn signals on a looooonnngggg time before the turn, and hope the guy gets the message.

I agree that stretch of road does not need 70 mph. Its nice to crank it up to that speed, but the difference between 70 mph and 55 or 60 on that length of road would be about 30 seconds.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:39 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Quote:
I agree that stretch of road does not need 70 mph. Its nice to crank it up to that speed, but the difference between 70 mph and 55 or 60 on that length of road would be about 30 seconds.
If you head west on 45 and pay attention at the point where it bends left and becomes northbound Mopac, there is always evidence of drivers missing that turn and running off the road. And more and more 1826 -> 45 -> Mopac is becoming the preferred alternative for Dripping Springs people to avoinf 290 and the Y.

Steve

Old 11-06-2009, 03:19 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
If you head west on 45 and pay attention at the point where it bends left and becomes northbound Mopac, there is always evidence of drivers missing that turn and running off the road. And more and more 1826 -> 45 -> Mopac is becoming the preferred alternative for Dripping Springs people to avoinf 290 and the Y.

Steve
Yeah, but then you are only trading off a slow down at the Y for a slow down on MoPac as it approaches 290/71. The odd time I have to head into town in the morning, I usually head over to Southwest Parkway and then get on MoPac at that point. Each time MoPac has been backed up south of 290/71.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:13 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
Yeah, but then you are only trading off a slow down at the Y for a slow down on MoPac as it approaches 290/71. The odd time I have to head into town in the morning, I usually head over to Southwest Parkway and then get on MoPac at that point. Each time MoPac has been backed up south of 290/71.
I've thought about using 45 myself, I hate to admit. This morning was ok coming through the Y at 7AM but earlier in the week it was jammed up already at 7AM. I could pop out of Granada on 1826, to 45 and loop around. I might try it for grins some morning just to see.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin