Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 AM

9 posts, read 56,824 times

Advertisements

Hello Austnians... Howdy?

Iam planning to move to Austin later in the year on job. We are 4 in our family with 2 kids. Just wanted to know few things before the move:

1) The BEST school district in Austin. I am primarily looking at good public schools with diverse ethnic population

2) BEST place to buy a house - Of course this goes hand in hand with (1).
Preferably with sizeable Asian Indian population.

3) How is the Crime rate in Austin? Is it safe?

4) We are FOOD & MOVIE lovers. How good are the choices for Asian Indians?

5) Any Hindu temples around in Austin.

6) Iam an experienced Software Tech consultant in Oracle Applications ERP. How is the job market for my skillset?

Please advise.... and Wish me Luck!

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 09:31 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
There was quite a long thread awhile back regarding the Indian population in Austin that will probably answer many of your questions:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ns-austin.html

Eanes school district gets the best marks, but there's not a great deal of diversity there. Parts of NW Austin feed into the Round Rock school district and many of those schools are rated highly.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:59 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
There's a Hindu Temple in South Austin, and I think it's the only one. Some families up here North East of Austin where I live drive all the way down there to attend it.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:29 AM

130 posts, read 386,422 times
Austin Hindu Temple - south east of austin (near airport)
Swaminarayan Temple - Metric and Parmer
Barsana dham - South west of Austin
Sai Baba temple (both Shirdi and Puttaparthi) in Cedarpark.

Eanes is the best school district,but difficult to get a house there if you have limited budget.

Regarding food, if you are talking only Indian food (ONLY vegetarian) - probably you will be slightly disappointed. I am not sure if you eat Non-veg. Otherwise, as a whole Austin is nice place to get all kinds of food and overall scene is pretty nice here. (atleast my experience)

Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
There are many Asian Indians in Austin. That ethnic group is far more visible today than it was 20 years ago.

I agree Eanes ISD has excellent schools, but is not very diverse. Other very good school districts include Round Rock, Lake Travis, and Leander.

I don't know of areas with a notably high Asian Indian population. Instead I think Asian Indians live in whatever area they like and can afford - just about like everyone else.

As for Oracle ERP - I imagine it can be found in Austin - but unlike larger cities Austin isn't the home of many large IT organizations. There is plenty of IT in Austin, but much of it is with companies medium to small and might to spend the money for Oracle (or SAP). Dell is a huge Oracle user, but not generally considered a good place to work.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
While Austin isnt the most diverse, there are alot of Asian Indians in Austin. I have a friend who is Indian from LA who moved to Round Rock. He loves it there. Maybe you should check it out?

Old 02-19-2010, 03:22 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Look in the Great Hills area, and Northwest Balcones. Beautiful area, and sizable Indian population from what I understand (although not huge, like you might find in Dallas or Houston). Close to lots of restaurants, shopping and movies (Alamo drafthouse!). Great schools, either RRISD or a very good section of AISD.

Crime is low in Austin, but so are job opportunities. Most markets (Software especially) are saturated, so salaries are low.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Look in the Great Hills area, and Northwest Balcones. Beautiful area, and sizable Indian population from what I understand (although not huge, like you might find in Dallas or Houston). Close to lots of restaurants, shopping and movies (Alamo drafthouse!). Great schools, either RRISD or a very good section of AISD.

Crime is low in Austin, but so are job opportunities. Most markets (Software especially) are saturated, so salaries are low.
I agree with atxcio. Look at Great Hills, NW Balcones (& Anderson Mill & Canyon Creek).

Since you asked for "the best school" (not the best school district) & areas with Indian populations.... I'd look at areas that feed into Westwood HS. You'll find the highest TAKs scoring schools (ES, MS & HS) & schools with larger Asian (& specifically Indian) populations.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Yes, Laurel Mountain ES, Canyon Vista MS, and Westwood HS. That is where you will find concentrations of Indian families!

Harmony Science Charter school also has a fairly high number of Indian families.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:11 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I agree with atxcio. Look at Great Hills, NW Balcones (& Anderson Mill & Canyon Creek).

Since you asked for "the best school" (not the best school district) & areas with Indian populations.... I'd look at areas that feed into Westwood HS. You'll find the highest TAKs scoring schools (ES, MS & HS) & schools with larger Asian (& specifically Indian) populations.
My bad, you did ask for the best district. (not just the best school)

But i'd look at the best "schools" as opposed to the best "district". AISD, LISD & RRISD all are huge districts with very good (& great) schools... & also average schools.

(but again...I'd recommend neighborhoods that feed into Westwood in order to meet your parameters ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin