Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:26 PM

41 posts, read 156,220 times

Advertisements

The Lot is at 9301 Brodie Lane at Silk Oak.

anyone know if anything is being built there? How can i find out what the zoning of the lot is.

looking at a house that backs up to this lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 07:20 AM

433 posts, read 1,658,346 times
Are you using a real estate agent? Make them earn the commision.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:52 AM

The agent is also being asked. I like to get info from different sources.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:36 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Well, I don't know if this helps, but:

I tried to look it up. Couldn't find 9301 Brodie on Travis Central Appraisal District, did you get that address from Google? Or was it on a sign?

Anyway, when I don't know the exact address, I search for the closest thing and look at the plat map. So I searched Travis Central Appraisal District for one of the homes on the cul-de-sac, then clicked on "plat map" which shows me the lots in the general vicinity.

I am assuming you are talking about the lot pictured in the PDF with the "A" label in this map: http://maps.taxnetusa.com/travis_maps/pdf_04/4_2428.pdf

Anyway, so that lot turns out to be LOT 20 BLK A CHERRY CREEK SEC 12... which is 3416 Silk Oak. Looking up that address in traviscad, we get this info:
TravisCAD Detail - Prop_ID 340250

It looks to be owned by "CONTINENTAL HOMES OF TEXAS L P", and they've owned it since 1998. The 2.8 acres is valued at only $400 , so maybe you can just buy it from them . An interesting thing I noted, the value of the lot went down from $182K in 2004 to $40K to $400 in the following years. Why is that? Zoning change maybe?

The next thing I did was look up building permits via the online search: City of Austin -

Didn't find anything recent there, but I didn't look extensively.

Anyway, I realize that doesn't tell you much. To me, it looks like it is owned by a homebuilder who currently has it as unbuilt residential (from the C1 classification). However, there is really nothing to stop them from selling or changing it to commercial (I don't know what it is actually zoned for right now)... so I'd say it's an unknown as to what it will be in the future.

There is a lot of homework you can do. You should do more searches (on the 3416 Silk Oak address) and see if there are any zoning change requests. Maybe a realtor can look in the commercial MLS to see if the lot is listed. Perhaps you can contact the owner directly -- there is some contact info on the traviscad site, search for the homebuilder and you'll get a phone number. If there IS a for sale sign on the lot, call it up and ask the agent what it is zoned for.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:53 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Well, I don't know if this helps, but:

I tried to look it up. Couldn't find 9301 Brodie on Travis Central Appraisal District, did you get that address from Google? Or was it on a sign?

Anyway, when I don't know the exact address, I search for the closest thing and look at the plat map. So I searched Travis Central Appraisal District for one of the homes on the cul-de-sac, then clicked on "plat map" which shows me the lots in the general vicinity.

I am assuming you are talking about the lot pictured in the PDF with the "A" label in this map: http://maps.taxnetusa.com/travis_maps/pdf_04/4_2428.pdf

Anyway, so that lot turns out to be LOT 20 BLK A CHERRY CREEK SEC 12... which is 3416 Silk Oak. Looking up that address in traviscad, we get this info:
TravisCAD Detail - Prop_ID 340250

It looks to be owned by "CONTINENTAL HOMES OF TEXAS L P", and they've owned it since 1998. The 2.8 acres is valued at only $400 , so maybe you can just buy it from them . An interesting thing I noted, the value of the lot went down from $182K in 2004 to $40K to $400 in the following years. Why is that? Zoning change maybe?

The next thing I did was look up building permits via the online search: City of Austin -

Didn't find anything recent there, but I didn't look extensively.

Anyway, I realize that doesn't tell you much. To me, it looks like it is owned by a homebuilder who currently has it as unbuilt residential (from the C1 classification). However, there is really nothing to stop them from selling or changing it to commercial (I don't know what it is actually zoned for right now)... so I'd say it's an unknown as to what it will be in the future.

There is a lot of homework you can do. You should do more searches (on the 3416 Silk Oak address) and see if there are any zoning change requests. Maybe a realtor can look in the commercial MLS to see if the lot is listed. Perhaps you can contact the owner directly -- there is some contact info on the traviscad site, search for the homebuilder and you'll get a phone number. If there IS a for sale sign on the lot, call it up and ask the agent what it is zoned for.
I did the same thing you did and was shocked to see the property valued at only $400, even though it is undeveloped. The credit union across the street is valued at over $1,070,250. Seems like someone is not paying appropriate taxes on that $400 lot.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:31 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I did the same thing you did and was shocked to see the property valued at only $400, even though it is undeveloped. The credit union across the street is valued at over $1,070,250. Seems like someone is not paying appropriate taxes on that $400 lot.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty fishy. Looking at the "history" on the lot, though, I noted how the property used to be valued much higher. That's why I wondered if it had perhaps been re-zoned or something, into parkland or agriculture, to achieve that ridiculously low valuation. The total taxes paid for that 2.8 acre lot off brodie in 2009 was a whopping $8.83 according to: http://www.taxnetusa.com/texas/travis/travisdetail.php?i_search_form_basket=&whereclause =&i_county_code=&theKey=340250 (broken link)

Wonder how the nearby homeowners feel about that.

If the lot owner somehow protested the value down from $182K to $400, you could find out more at the Travis CAD office. All formal protests are public record, and you can request the recording of any hearing regarding that lot (they'll burn a CD for you). It's definitely some extra leg work, but maybe the OP is up for it. Would be interesting to find out the real story behind that.

Last edited by atxcio; 04-04-2010 at 01:40 PM..

Old 04-04-2010, 04:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,109,315 times
Could it be in the floodplain? So far in the floodplain that is not buildable? New floodplain maps did come out not that long ago.

It is curious.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:43 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Could it be in the floodplain? So far in the floodplain that is not buildable? New floodplain maps did come out not that long ago.

It is curious.
Nope, no flood plain or even a dry creek near it.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:45 PM

Wow. You guys are helpful. I see if I can make a phone call to the owner later this week.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:57 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,019,279 times
It is zoned Limited Office
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin