Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times

Advertisements

He's looking for a cheap thrill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 04:17 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Moderator cut: image removed

This thread explains the local nudity laws. http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ve-around.html

Last edited by Marka; 01-08-2014 at 10:55 PM..

Old 04-17-2010, 04:18 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Wow. You look pretty good Captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

This thread explains the local nudity laws. http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ve-around.html

Old 04-17-2010, 04:21 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,264 times
Hippie Hollow is a fairly well-known park in Austin, at least locally. However, I think Austin's one of the only cities in Texas that doesn't actually have a law against women appearing topless in public.
As for the body thing, have they decided whether it was an accidental drowning or a murder?

Old 04-17-2010, 04:28 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,957 times
The proper (official?) designation for Hippy Hollow is "clothing optional." I used to have fun cruising on my windsurfer up and down and around near that beach area. And yes, I did it nude, rude and lude!

Old 04-17-2010, 04:46 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoZ View Post
Hippie Hollow is a fairly well-known park in Austin, at least locally. However, I think Austin's one of the only cities in Texas that doesn't actually have a law against women appearing topless in public.
As for the body thing, have they decided whether it was an accidental drowning or a murder?
Lake Travis is not inside the City limits of Austin, so its not an Austin thing.

This website talks about the nudity laws in TX says this:

Quote:
There's no Texas or local Austin law that says that women can't be top-free or that men can't wear only thongs or jock straps. The article below applies to residents of Austin. If you live elsewhere in Texas, there may be a local (city) law that makes partial nudity illegal.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 11,140 times
Default Barton Springs Pool used to be much neater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post
I'm pretty sure topless sunbathing is allowed at Barton Springs as well, although ive never seen it.
Yeah, I've only been in Austin since 1977, but back then probably 80% of the women at the pool swam & sunned without tops. It was the norm.

And it was very nice. It was like, since nearly all the women did that, it was no big deal. And there was an unwritten etiquette that said you could look & admire as long as you didn't ogle or leer.

From what I hear, that custom had gone on since the mid- to late-1960s, but as I recall, by the early 80s it became rare. I'm not sure why. Although the jerks in polyester Kmart clothes who stood just on the other side of the fence smoking cigarettes & toting cameras with long lenses seems to have had something to do with it.

Damned shame, really.

It was indeed very nice.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:02 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
I have only been in Austin since 2000, but I can think of at least 10-times where I have seen women around town exercising their right to go topless (it's especially prevalent at Eeyore's Birthday).

But yeah, Hippie Hollow is not what you'd expect. Sure, there are a few hot bodies there, but most of them are not something you'd really want to see. They do have a website online... don't go there at work, though

Old 07-09-2010, 03:25 PM

611 posts, read 2,233,940 times
back in the late 70s early 80s Thrasher Cove in Pace Bend park had a lot of topless and nudity going on

it also had the best rope swing in Texas until the asses at LCRA cut the branch off because fools were getting hurt (lets stop protecting idiots people they grow up and breed bigger idiots)

we went there with out Scout Troop and we pulled up and the topless girls were HOT....I was about 10 at the time (it was a family camp out that weekend so moms and younger kids were along) and had my cheap Kodak camera and I was going to take a pic of some of these topless hotties and my mom said "oh don't waste your film" and for the one time in my life my dumbass listened and I didn't take the pics

later on as we were going on the rope swing there were a couple of nude guys too......one was bareass naked except for a cowboy hat sitting on the hottest rock he could find (I bet he was redass on fire after that) and one of the moms that was with us went on the rope swing and she happened to be pretty good looking herself

as you got out of the water from the swing you had to use a rope to pull yourself up the first big rock if the water was low....as this mom was climbing up one of the guys that was nude went to "give her a hand up"......she pretty much could have reached up and grabbed something besides the rope to get up at that point......we were all dying laughing

I had a ton of GREAT memories at Pace Bend after that for years and years including that rope swing, jumping off the cliffs at Thrasher Cove, learning what happens if you don't run the blower on your inboard outboard boat before you start the engine (not our boat, but another persons) it was kind of black smokey on the OMC engine and the engine cover had blown 10 feet in the air and second degree burns on the back of the guy starting the boat (of course him and his friends got it running and were still out there partying

another time a boat full of idiots out "sightseeing" (ie wasting time and space on the lake) almost ran over our friend that was CLEARLY in the water after jumping off the cliffs a few minutes before.....we chased them down in our boat and yelled at them, but they stared cluelessly like there should never be anyone or anything in the water even less than 20 feet from the shore they would even need to look out for

another time I was scuba diving with a friend there and we found a Chevy S-10 4X4 that had been driven off the high cliffs at the end of Thrasher and into the lake.....I opened the gas cap and bubbles were pouring out and we did not know it until later when my friend surfaced that GAS was pouring out too.....the window was down so we could get in it and sit like we were driving it.....we reported it and I think they hauled it out not long after

I believe they idiots at LCRA cut the limb for the rope swing in about 92-93 .....they would cut the rope, but people would just climb up and put a new one and eventually put a piece of fire hose (the best thing for the first part of a rope swing) and then rope at the last few feet and that is when the damn tree limb was cut off

I have been tempted to go out there some time with a piece of pipe and bolt it onto the tree and then screw the bolt heads up so you can't get them back out because the way the tree was you had a perfect way to hang a pipe nice and secure and use the leverage of another branch to help hold it

damn that swing was AMAZING.....it had the perfect launch spot from the rocks and it was way up high even as you swung out and it had the perfect arc to do a back flip or even a front flip off of it, but if you were an idiot and did not let go you would swing back into the rocks (like you deserved for being a wimp) and that is why they took it down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin