Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:36 AM

42 posts, read 206,550 times

Advertisements

If you will be south and east of Austin, it would be a good idea to check out the more southern areas. These include: Buda, Kyle, Bastrop, Lockhart, San Marcos, Neiderwald, Uhland, Dale, and a few others. That way you would have less commute and would be more in the out of city area you are talking about. I personally live in Kyle and have 1 1/2 acres, it is nice to not have your neighbors knocking on your windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 02:23 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
If you can tell us approximately where your office will be located we can give you some suggestions of where to live SE of Austin. If the timing of your office visits are flexible, so you don't have to fight rush hours, the traffic going in and out of Austin isn't bad from any part of town or its outskirts.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:53 PM

9 posts, read 14,758 times
At this time, I don't have any idea where the office is. Only contact has been online and they have thus far chosen to remain anonymous. I believe they are statewide, maybe even multi-state, but current work is SE of Austin.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:53 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times
If you're going to be driving to/from SE Texas, you'd probably want to look at Buda/Kyle, maybe even Bastrop. Much lower housing costs but still close enough to Austin to make the occassional trip in easy.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:09 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,109,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnagn View Post
At this time, I don't have any idea where the office is. Only contact has been online and they have thus far chosen to remain anonymous. I believe they are statewide, maybe even multi-state, but current work is SE of Austin.
The employer is choosing to stay anonymous?!!

Sounds like a scam to me, be careful.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:25 PM

1,601 posts, read 2,984,151 times
As a 40-year-old originally from Van, Texas (I too love the Country Tavern!), I think you'd enjoy Georgetown/Round Rock/Cedar Park/Leander even though it isn't close to South Austin where your field work might be. It is much more inexpensive than living closer in, it feels more suburbia/rural instead of quirky Austin-ish, and the drive into Austin is always a chore (traffic and time wise, not necessarily distance wise) so that shouldn't even figure in your decision. Where there used to be large breaks between G'town/Round Rock/Austin, there is now one solid stretch of development. (Literally solid from Georgetown to almost New Braunfels!) So unless you want to head someplace specific in Austin or go downtown, you'll find everything else you need either up north or down south. I technically live in Cedar Park, but it takes me less than 10 minutes to get to Georgetown or Round Rock, and even less to get into the northern city limits of Austin.

I've recently heard of friends who got apartments or duplexes for about $700/month, so it is doable if you search. Those were in nice areas, too. I don't know much about rental houses, though. Austin city utilities are cheap, cheap, cheap; Cedar Park city utilities are NOT! That's about the only comparison I have there.

As for the DFW/Austin comparison...I always knew I wanted to end up in one of the two, and I'm soooooo glad it was Austin!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin