Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:09 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for recommendations of places SOUTH of Ben White/290. Our usual haunt is Central Market's cafe but I'm burned out. We've tried a few new places to eat but none of them are that memorable. What are the good places in SW Austin?

We tried the Galaxy Cafe on Brodie tonight and thought it was pretty mediocre. Is the Maudie's next door a better bet? or the Brick Oven Pizza? Also there was Evangline's up the road a little that looked like it might be good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Well, technically, it's not south of Ben White, it's in the shopping center on the northeast corner of Ben White & South Lamar, but you really ought to try Azul Tequila.

Evangeline's is also good, but try Cypress Grill.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:42 AM

39 posts, read 98,819 times
I love Galaxy Cafe! I think their quiche is amazing. Tino's is a Greek place in the same complex, on the other side near Randall's. They are a tad expensive, but you get lots of food. Go for lunch, it's cheaper. We also love Maudies, especially their salsa, tortilla soup, enchiladas, and huevos barrachos. I second Cypress Grill, have eaten there many times and liked it. My fiancee and I love Pho Thai Son, if you like pho. Their website is Pho Thaison Vietnamese Cuisine and they have two locations, one on William Cannon near the Brodie HEB and one in the Southpark Meadows shopping center.

If I think of others I'll post again. Hope this helps!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:05 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
We like Galaxy Cafe, mainly because it is very casual and tends to server a regular sized meal so we don't overeat . Oh, and the manager/staff have been exceptional in the couple of years that we have been going there. It does have a very small menu, though. We end up there for breakfast more than anything these days.

Evangaline's is a very small, casual cajun place that has very good cajun food. It is also very relaxed (different but similar to Galaxy). If you like cajun food, you can also try Cypress Grill (over by Gold's Gym on Wm Cannon/MoPac area). Good food, but also a somewhat limited menu, but great owner.

For TexMex, you now have Maudies, Chuy's, Flores, and Santa Rita. We just went to Santa Rita and were a little disappointed - it wan't bad, per se, but we were hoping for better. Flores is one of our regulars, but it does look like a dive. It has more of the 'comfort' food quality. Maudie's and Chuy's depends on preferences and mood as well, but I do like the salsa and the outdoor seating at Chuy's.

Waterloo - eh, I can do w/o it most of the time, but it has a great playscape for the kids and the burgers are good. Breakfast is more of the heavier variety (as compared to Galaxy or Cypress) but better than their dinner offerings. Biscuits and gravy, hash browns, etc.

Are you a coffee drinker? I assume you are looking for dinner places, but if not, Cypress has the best coffee, followed by Galaxy .

Old 09-16-2009, 08:51 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,187,221 times
We go to Waterloo so the munchkin can run around on the playscape. It's okay. They don't have anything on their menu I've eaten that I'd say -- "Ooooohhh, we have to go so I can get the --- dish".

We might have to try the Galaxy again. Maybe we didn't order the right things - Seared Tuna Salad and Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms. I didn't like how dark it was in there so I think we'll try it for lunch.

Have to put the Cypress Grill on the list. How about the Japanese place in the same shopping center? Is it any good? And I see a bagel shop is getting ready to open -- very excited about that!

Putting the PHO place on the list. We love Vietnamese.

Thanks for the info!

Old 09-16-2009, 10:19 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Milano's Italian on Southwest Parkway is a new place we recently found with excellent food. Its on the South side of the road just West of Republic of Texas Blvd.

The Fire Bowl Cafe 5601 Brodie Ln is quite good. http://www.firebowlcafe.com/

BJ'S Restaurant & Brewery‎, 5207 Brodie Lane

We like the Mahi-Mahi at the Galaxy Cafe.

We also enjoy the breakfast Migas at Maudies, but their other menu items have a little too much processed cheese for our taste.

For mexican food I prefer Flores Restaurant‎, 6705 W Highway 290 & William Cannon.

I have not tried Hecho En Mexico‎ yet, it opened last year 6001 W William Cannon Dr # 301.

Tres Amigos‎ is good Tex-Mex, 1807 Slaughter Ln & Manchanca.

Tino's Greek Cafe‎ is quite good, 9901 Brodie Ln # 190. around the corner from Galaxy Cafe. http://tinosgreekcafe.com/default.aspx

We order chinese delivered from Wok on Fire‎, 9901 Brodie Ln, (512) 291-8886 It is average. If any one has recommendations for better chinese that delivers in SW Austin we would be interested in it.

Last edited by CptnRn; 09-16-2009 at 10:38 AM..

Old 09-16-2009, 10:28 AM

20 posts, read 52,668 times
Default Italian buffet!

If you haven't done Cannoli Joe's yet, TRY IT. Italian buffet, and the food's actually really good. Unique themed setting, but not too kiddie-ish; each room feels like a different setting in Italy. You'd think they're a chain, but it's currently the only one. Right near Brodie and 290/71.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:37 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
I haven't been in a very long time, but we used to like The Bakehouse on Manchaca.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:50 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Has anyone tried the Chipotle Mexican Grill‎, 5400 Brodie Ln, Sunset Valley? I noticed the sign and was wondering if they were any good. http://www.chipotle.com/#/land

Old 09-16-2009, 11:29 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
I believe Chipotle is part of the national chain of fast food restaurants that has had a site in Randalls shopping center on Bee Caves Road for about 10 years. We used to eat at that location every couple of weeks and loved it. But it is one of those build a burrito lines where you end up with a six to seven dollar burrito that weighs about two pounds. Haven't been to the one on Brodie since we moved back (our middle aged metabolisms cannot handle that much food!), so I cannot tell you how that store is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin