Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:36 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Technically I wasn't, but I've lived in Perth since I was 1: actually that annoys me, but that's another matter.

I still feel Australia is my home, but I don't know, the Northern Hemisphere just feels more 'right' to me. I almost crave the green countryside of say the Eastern US or Britain, even China or Japan, the northern hemisphere trees, the quaint houses and villages, the autumnal vegetation. Don't get me wrong, our beauty equals that in some ways, but - maybe it's the media etc - Britain still feels more like my spiritual home. Perhaps I lived there in my past life! lol

Anyone felt the same? I guess most Aussies are from there, so perhaps deep down some of them still feel the mother country is home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,360 times
I was born in Australia (In Perth to be precise ), and while I Personally do feel the historical attachment with the UK. I don't actually pine for green fields, thatched roofed cottages and cobbled streets ( I know I'm Stereotyping somewhat? ).

While Australia's "Harsh" beauty can be hard to take at times and We're often lagging behind other countries in some fields. I'm still happy that I was born here.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 04-09-2009 at 09:24 PM..

Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,898 times
It never occurred to me that I should have been born in another country and I was always happy being born in Australia but I have to say when I went to Ireland there was a kind of de ja vu feeling for me even though I'd never been there before, many of the places and idiosincracies of the locals were incredibly familar to me. It wasn't until then I realized that part of my heritage had been obliterated. I'll have had fairly recent relatives that could speak gaelic and I can't even find anywhere to learn it here. I'd also love to go to Poland and see if the same de ja vu feeling prevailed although I didn't get that feeling in New Zealand or England/Scotland/Wales and I have ancestors from there also.

I'm happy enough to have been born here, it's not like I had any say in it anyway, I think my only real lament is only ever speaking English at home. I would love to have come from a background where more than one language was spoken but I was thrilled to discover that many of the things that I grew up with, that were familiar to me aren't just Aussie things, they're Irish things too.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:22 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,945 times
No regrets being born here. Great country for many things. But I'm not one to want to live, or to have lived, in just one country. I'm glad I lived in Canada. I'm glad I've lived here. But I feel it's time to move on again, and live in an area where I have better access to more travel to the places I've always wanted to see.

Maybe I was a gypsy or a nomad in another life

Old 10-03-2009, 05:00 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,724 times
What an interesting thread..I was born in Sydney but never felt like it was my home. It was all about sports and being blonde and macho in school and as I was none of those things, didnt fit in. Spent my adolescence dreaming of being another nationality and belonging to another country. Sparked my wanderlust (or is it wanderdust?) travelling. I used to be so happy when I would be asked where I was from in Australia, to think people thought I was from somewhere else!

I feel no connection whatsoever with the UK, nor with europe (which is where my family came from) but loved living in Miami and Cuba with people thinking I was from the States or Cuban. I have always got along great with Americans, but not so well with Australians, just find them friendly but you have to drink and talk about sports to get along with them - unlike with other nationalities.

Despite having lived out of the country almost half my life, havent lost my Aussie accent not even a bit. I don't feel happy about my country, the road its taking or the way Aussies are..

Old 10-03-2009, 05:23 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,452 times
I was born in Victoria but lived in Brisbane for most of my life, I too feel really 'at home' in other countries especially Thailand.

I did not feel anything in London - which is where I believe quite a few of my ancestors are from.

I could easily move to another country and feel perfectly all right with leaving Oz behind, I'm proud to be an Aussie but it's not everything to me.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:37 PM

656 posts, read 2,742,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Technically I wasn't, but I've lived in Perth since I was 1: actually that annoys me, but that's another matter.

I still feel Australia is my home, but I don't know, the Northern Hemisphere just feels more 'right' to me. I almost crave the green countryside of say the Eastern US or Britain, even China or Japan, the northern hemisphere trees, the quaint houses and villages, the autumnal vegetation. Don't get me wrong, our beauty equals that in some ways, but - maybe it's the media etc - Britain still feels more like my spiritual home. Perhaps I lived there in my past life! lol

Anyone felt the same? I guess most Aussies are from there, so perhaps deep down some of them still feel the mother country is home.
Trimac20 I just think everybody is generally attracted to a life style different from there own
Being from Perth like yourself I have always wondered why so many from the U.K are migrating to Perth...Whats the Big attraction ????
My theory is its because Perth is in a way the complete opposite to the lifestyle of London
London=Greenery,Wet,Crowded,Culture,Expensive etc
Perth=Eternal Sunshine,Open Spaces,Cheaper,Dry etc

My theory is that no matter the quality of life at home, a lot of people will still wish to emigrate elsewhere
Not that for the life style is better, its because its different

Old 10-04-2009, 03:12 PM

43,638 posts, read 44,361,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

I am wondering where you were born.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:22 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,800,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
Trimac20 I just think everybody is generally attracted to a life style different from there own
Being from Perth like yourself I have always wondered why so many from the U.K are migrating to Perth...Whats the Big attraction ????
My theory is its because Perth is in a way the complete opposite to the lifestyle of London
London=Greenery,Wet,Crowded,Culture,Expensive etc
Perth=Eternal Sunshine,Open Spaces,Cheaper,Dry etc

My theory is that no matter the quality of life at home, a lot of people will still wish to emigrate elsewhere
Not that for the life style is better, its because its different
Interesting...

I wonder if my environment helped play a role in my preferences.
The idea of living somewhere warm and sunny is more appealing to me than being rich.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:07 PM

121 posts, read 244,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Interesting...

I wonder if my environment helped play a role in my preferences.
The idea of living somewhere warm and sunny is more appealing to me than being rich.
Indeed, you do possess the virtues of an "Aussie"

Perhaps, it's time you make your move....

Last edited by joeldew; 10-05-2009 at 08:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand