Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times

Advertisements

I've toured your military bases and those of New Zealand...even married a shelia from Cotteslow...Mum was ANC..her daddy was RAN...held in Okinawa for the war duration sabatoging the Japanese war ships. Auntie died at age 19 on a forced march from the family plantation on Java. G-Mum was electrocuted with the home generator as they had a radio on the premises.
Best blokes...best beer...and the shirt off your back if you needed it...never minded being called a c*nt by those diggers either...we Marines considered that a title of respect, coming from them...da*m, they were tough...

Old 05-12-2008, 09:33 PM

31 posts, read 122,889 times
They both admire each other's countries.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:22 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,432,556 times
I'm a US citizen and I have met numerous Aussies all over the world, much to my delight. I have come to the conclusion that they must be the most widely traveled, curious people in all the world. I don't think I've ever not come across an Aussie in my travels through Europe, South America, and Asia. So, I'm definitely on board the pro-Australian train.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:03 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post

American's, Seem to view Australian's, As their unusual!..But still likeable cousins? and it's vice versa, For us Australian's
Our unusual and likeable cousins, I'll agree with that. While we think the same of our European counterparts, there's still a little cultural tension there. Like I said I've never heard anyone in the United States say anything bad about Australia, whereas you might hear some remarks about Europeans...and I know they do the same. If we made a "who is America's best friend" poll, I would imagine Australia would win with the UK in second and Canada somewhere down the line.

Quote:
"Countless Thousands" of Australians, Were butchered and marched too death anyway, Just talk to anyone, Who Fought on the Kokoda Track, Worked on the Burma Railway and the Sandakan Airfield, Or Were in Changi prison camp!

I read a book several years ago called "Hidden Horrors: Japanese War Crimes" by a Japanese guy out of Australia that had a lot of content about the Aussie POWs. The things described are extremely brutal and sound a hell of a lot worse than the accounts of being a POW in the European theater I've read. It's shocking to think that anyone could be as sadistic as the prison guards/staff were.

I was in the USMC and my unit was attached to the 1st Marine Division for a deployment. The division song is "Waltzing Matilda" and the division logo has the Southern Cross on it from the division's time spent around Australia. I guess that's another example of our countries' military ties.

I meant to start an ANZAC day thread, but I forgot. Maybe next year.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:49 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times
I'm just imaginging Marines, Singing "Once a Joly Swagman, Camped by a Billabong!"

The Australian Experience of World War 2, Korea and Vietnam, Sowed the seeds, Of alot of Asian Resentment (Possibly moreso, Than in the USA?), Which we a now trying to come too terms with?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 05-16-2008 at 08:09 AM..

Old 05-16-2008, 08:17 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
"Countless Thousands" of Australians, Were butchered and marched too death anyway, Just talk to anyone, Who Fought on the Kokoda Track, Worked on the Burma Railway and the Sandakan Airfield, Or Were in Changi prison camp!

Very sad indeed!

Though, I quite like your sentiments, As while we're very proud, Of what our Military forces have achieved, Throughout our history, We are very glad America got involved in WW2.
Your post is bringing a song to my head..all though I think the lyrics referred to WWI
And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda

I cry whenever I hear that song....

Old 05-16-2008, 08:55 AM

The lyrics do mainly refer too WW1 and the Gallpoli landings, In particular! (As the Dardenelles Campaign, Plays a large part, In the ANZAC legend)

"And The Band played Waltzing Matilda" often gets played, Alongside "I was only 19" and "Can You hear Australia's heroes marching", On ANZAC day.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 05-16-2008 at 09:12 AM..

Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
actually, I think the ties go even farther back......both countries were essentially formed from English cast offs lol

Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
The lyrics do mainly refer too WW1 and the Gallpoli landings, In particular! (As the Dardenelles Campaign, Plays a large part, In the ANZAC legend)

"And The Band played Waltzing Matilda" often gets played, Alongside "I was only 19" and "Can You hear Australia's heroes marching", On ANZAC day.

My Dad was in WWII..the Pacific and he has nothing but praise for the Aussies
Hubbie was in Viet Nam had some R&R in Austrailia..of all the places he went with the Navy, Austrailia & Malta are the only two he has a desire to revisit.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
actually, I think the ties go even farther back......both countries were essentially formed from English cast offs lol
Yeah, But you got there by your own will, Alot of us came here in chains.

Too an extent, If America hadn't won the Revolutionary War, Australia (as We Know it!) may not exist?, As England may not have needed another new colony and we may be speaking Dutch (Or French?)...As it's no doubt, That either of those two countries, Would have colonised this Unkonwn South Land instead

It's just lucky, That they were looking for untapped wealth, Rather than a site for a Penal Colony?

Njkate: I'm glad your Dad and your Husband, Likes Australia and us Aussie's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand