Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:24 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,035,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Are you Aussie born ? you seem to lack any knowledge of Australian history.
Nope, you are wrong, dump the monarchy dump the high awards along with the Australian regiment no longer being the Royal Australian Regiment.
That would not matter some would say, but that will be one of the first weapons monarchists would use.
Not involved in any war, must tell my nephew that as he is enjoying the fleshpots of Afghanistan.
No need to be rude or condescending, if you want people to participate in a discussion,, a little civility goes a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,035,022 times
Quote:
Some information for you with you knowing nothing about the military.
Kiwi, sorry dear boy I also have convict nationality.
I had no idea I knew Maoris were over-represented in NZ's jail population, I've never actually heard of a Maori claiming to be a convict, until now.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 PM

497 posts, read 984,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
With no popular elections and the President effectively the Governor-General with another name I doubt there would be any significant extra costs. We already pay the Governor General a salary of $394,000 a year which is similar to the Prime Minister.
Right now the GG is a nobody, but if they became a proper head of state for a country that will grow and became a big independent nation (as Republicans tell us it will) then what about all the extra security cost for the GG?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:44 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,161,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
Right now the GG is a nobody, but if they became a proper head of state for a country that will grow and became a big independent nation (as Republicans tell us it will) then what about all the extra security cost for the GG?
Then they would set up a secret service to protect the retired politician picked by his mates to be El Presidente
The SAS would not be wasted in protecting tired old politicians who believe their duty as president is to be loyal to either the Labor, Liberal, or country Parties

Old 01-17-2012, 07:44 AM

93 posts, read 348,541 times
Quote:
The utter hypocrisy of NZ and Aus republicans.
They are all the same types with no moral courage, if they want to do away with the monarchy and ALL trappings that go with it at least have the moral courage to spell out what those differences will be.
Wanna trade? We'll trade our Republicans here in the states for yours down under any day of the week! If you want to see a group of megalomaniacs out to wreak havoc and mayhem on all civility…take a closer look at OUR Republicans!! Ours have never been more scary…and it may make you feel at least a little better about what you have to deal with.

Before everyone jumps all over me for this, let me first say…I am ONLY joking here!!! I just couldn't resist the opportunity to try to lighten this thread up a little. Outside of some heated/personal jabs, this is a interesting thread to read for an outsider like myself (looking to learn more about life down under).

Thanks for humoring me….as you were….

Last edited by ScooterPilot; 01-17-2012 at 07:54 AM..

Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,594,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
Would they need more security? Last time I heard Mossad were trying to counterfeit Australian passports so we can't be THAT hated Don't be fooled by the term President either, they'd also effectively be a nobody under the proposed republic.

Quote:
Then they would set up a secret service to protect the retired politician picked by his mates to be El Presidente
The SAS would not be wasted in protecting tired old politicians who believe their duty as president is to be loyal to either the Labor, Liberal, or country Parties
Under the 1998 model the President would have to be elected by a 2/3 majority of parliament therefore they would need the support of both the Coalition (Liberal/National) and Labor parties. At present the decision to choose the GG is exercised by the monarch on advice of the Prime Minister (ie. rubber stamped), how is this any less potentially partisan?

Last edited by sulkiercupid; 01-17-2012 at 09:29 AM..

Old 01-17-2012, 12:16 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,119,191 times
Has the Republican movement decided yet what kind of republic they want? Do they still support the 2/3 majority of parliament 'elected' president or do they now support a directly elected president?

IMO the idea of a president being 'elected' by the Australian Parliament is absurd and pointless. All it would do is replace an apolitical but hereditary head of state with an political hack elected in a sham 'election' by their fellow cronies. That would be akin to letting the US Senate and US House of Representatives choose our president ... see how dumb it sounds now?

Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,927,200 times
It would be interesting to see just who would be available for President and who the public would vote for. With Aussies obsession with celebreties it might be Kylie or Ray Martin, even Mollie Meldrem.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:20 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,734,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Weird everyone here seems to be a Monarchist.
It's more of a conservative viewpoint by most Aussies, rather than overwhelming and unfettered adherence to the Monarchy.
For the record, I am a devout Republican, and would love nothing more than to see the demise of the Monarchy as Australia's Head of State in my life-time.
Things like Knighthoods, correct me if I am wrong, but have been discontinued in Oz anyway. Not sure about NZ, or how long ago the likes of Sir Richard Hadlee (cricketer) was knighted.
Military honours can still be re-invented as not related to the Monarchy.
And I don't buy the argument that all the diggers died under the Aussie flag either -so you can't change it. They died for freedom, not for a flag which is not dissimilar to many other former British colony flags.
Things are slowly changing.
My son, who used to be and just finished in Scouts, had the option of whether to swear allegience to the Queen as part of that movement - he chose not to.
Great Britain may have been a major factor in our past, but so to have the Irish, then Mediterranean and now Asian and Pacific Islander peoples.
The Monarchy mean nothing to them, as well as aboriginals.
John Howard was a hypocrit who refused to say "'sorry"' to the inidigineous people.
My feeling is that when the unpopular Prince Charles becomes King, along with his sidekick "mistress" Camilla Parker-Bowles, the Repulican movement will gather momentum.
I would much rather see former Australians of the Year on the back of my coins, not some pompous figurehead of our distant past.

Last edited by Derek40; 01-17-2012 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,132,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
It would be interesting to see just who would be available for President and who the public would vote for. With Aussies obsession with celebreties it might be Kylie or Ray Martin, even Mollie Meldrem.
yikes. Our political stocks are very low IMO. God good, if Tony Abbot/jooolia are the best things both parties can come up with!

and Molly's alright!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand