Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:12 AM

58 posts, read 162,743 times

Advertisements

you're probably more correct than me in that case *smiles* I just thought it was different - but again that could be to do with broadness of accent etc? and as I said, in Aus you certainly don't have the variety of accents that we do in Britain. I didn't notice the word beer being markedly different but I did like the way my friends in Perth would say "tour" sort of like "too-a" sorry, its difficult to replicate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 07:43 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,474 times
Here's an interesting website that tracks the evolution of the Australian accent and has some samples of a few of the regional variations.

regional accents | Australian Voices

I've noticed a bit of a divergence occurring amongst young people from Melbourne where there is a bit of a vowel merger of 'a' and 'e' which is quite noticeable. For instance the words salary and celery have become homophones.

And yes one of the few discernible differences in the way Perth people talk is in the way we say beer which sounds more like 'bee-yah' whereas in other states it sounds more like a cross of 'bee' and 'bear'.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:27 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovervale View Post
you're probably more correct than me in that case *smiles* I just thought it was different - but again that could be to do with broadness of accent etc? and as I said, in Aus you certainly don't have the variety of accents that we do in Britain. I didn't notice the word beer being markedly different but I did like the way my friends in Perth would say "tour" sort of like "too-a" sorry, its difficult to replicate.
I know what you mean...

To me the easiest way to spot someone from QLD or WA tends to be how they say the 'a' vowel in 'stand.' It almost sounds American, kind of like 'stairnd.'

Also notice how some of them say 'here.' It sounds more like 'he' while here it's more like 'hee-yah.'

Of course there's the plahnt/plaent thing. This is most common in SA, and least common in Victoria and Queensland.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:36 AM

58 posts, read 162,743 times
this is so interesting! I really like the aussie accent (more than the american ones) and I love the slang and different words you have for things. I did laugh once though when someone mentioned my "thongs" I had to point out that in Britain thongs are completely different to what they are in Australia *smiles* The only time I had trouble was when a friends brother said something to me. I understood the "Hi, how you going" bit, then he said something really fast. I just smiled and said, "sorry?" he repeated it, and I just said yes, hoping it'd be the correct answer. Apparently he'd asked me if I was enjoying my time in Australia! my friend said that he was a bit cheeky though, and did put on a stronger accent when British people were there!

Old 03-14-2012, 02:46 AM

201 posts, read 416,393 times
There's really not much regional variation in accent, it's very slight. It's not enough to be able to tell where someone is from how they sound. Over all the accent is quite uniform across the country.
The Australian accent differs significantly on social circles though. There's the general accent, which most people have. The broad accent, made famous by people like Steve Irwin and Paul Hogan, usually associated with labourers and sports fans. And the cultivated accent, which is an upper class educated accent, Cate Blanchette is a good example. And it's the most similar to British.
Here are some examples.
General accent, these two well known YouTubers.

Broad accent, ex-Prime Minister Bob Hawke.

Cultivated accent, Cate Blanchette. And note the contrast with the broad accented Australian interviewer from News Limited at 2:45.

Another example of a cultivated accent, Bronwyn Bishop, member of Parliament, being interviewed by a general accented young female journalist.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:48 AM

4,216 posts, read 4,885,486 times
Sydneysiders tend to have a stronger accent than Melburnians (maybe listen to how Kerry Packer used to speak). The cultivated Sydney accent tends to almost sound slightly rural, whereas the Melburnian is more like what Mornb posted.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Sydneysiders tend to have a stronger accent than Melburnians (maybe listen to how Kerry Packer used to speak). The cultivated Sydney accent tends to almost sound slightly rural, whereas the Melburnian is more like what Mornb posted.
Listen to Margaret Pomeranz, co-host of 'At the Movies' for an example of a cultivated Sydney accent. It's still Australian, but quite posh. Sydney can definitely as cultivated as Melbourne, although these days the difference isn't so great. Even in the 70s you had elocution at private schools, and very rich people often sounded British. Now they at least sound Australian, thank God.

Still, the accents of some young people are a bit of a worry. Some are barely recogniseable as dinky-di Aussie. This is especially prevalent in parts of Sydney and Melbourne.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Listen to Margaret Pomeranz, co-host of 'At the Movies' for an example of a cultivated Sydney accent. It's still Australian, but quite posh. Sydney can definitely as cultivated as Melbourne, although these days the difference isn't so great. Even in the 70s you had elocution at private schools, and very rich people often sounded British. Now they at least sound Australian, thank God.
She sounds normal to me. Maybe I need to get out of the bubble more often!

I had elocution back when I was 7, although you wouldn't know it to speak to me now. Apparently when I used to say "open the gaaate" to the driveway at my grandparents house my grandmother worried that I was sounding far too uneducated.

She was in a class of her own though. Her and my grandfather were flying first class on British Airways and because they were such frequent travelers BA offered to upgrade them to the Concorde (which despite it's cost ~$30k round trip was known for it's fairly cramped seating), my grandmother apparently smiled at the lounge attendant and said "Darling, I don't care how fast it flies, I won't be sitting in economy".

Old 03-14-2012, 08:31 AM

201 posts, read 416,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Cultivated Australian sounds more like British, but is still quite distinctly Australian. I think it's quite an attractive accent and it's a shame private schools no longer teach it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Well, both of those examples are Sydneysiders! Cate Blanchette lives in Hunters Hill, and Bronwyn Bishop is MP for Mackellar, which is the electorate for the northern beaches, Palm Beach etc.

Last edited by Mornnb; 03-14-2012 at 08:45 AM..

Old 03-14-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
Well, both of those examples are Sydneysiders! Cate Blanchette lives in Hunters Hill, and Bronwyn Bishop is MP for Mackellar, which is the electorate for the northern beaches, Palm Beach etc.
Cate was born and raised in Melbourne. Then again, I don't see much difference in how she speaks as compared to Hugh Jackman who would be considered as having a general accent. Cultivated Australian English is closer to how Malcolm Fraser or Alexander Downer sounds. They could easily be mistaken as being from Britain, even by an Australian. I guess the US equivalent would be mid-Atlantic, eg Kelsey Grammar.

I think Bronwyn is from the upper North Shore, around Killara, you don't get those accents on the Northern Beaches.

I'm fairly certain that the rising intonation at the end of a sentence is more a Victorian thing too. Bloody annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand