Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 01:32 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
as for your list of sporting and artistic achievments , while peter jackson is a world renowned film maker , even for its size , new zealand is a cultural and artistic backwater , always has been
In terms of literary achievement plus the performing arts, it's patently ridiculous to say that NZ has not distinguished itself. You clearly know nothing about these subjects and are simply giving your prejudiced views free rein. I wouldn't even waste my time to write enough words to fully refute somebody as one-eyed as you. I'm certainly not relying on Jackson's achivements (only a small part of the whole) to boost my case, either.

Old 05-19-2012, 02:17 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderman View Post
Hey Bob! You don't like us do you? Geez I'm really upset. Never mind we'll get over it. Coming from a country that has spent centuries with it's population trying to go somewhere else that 's odd.

didnt say i dont like kiwis , i said they are thin skinned and smug and often without any merit , no one has ever had a problem heaping scorn on my country so il give it out when i think its appropriate

ireland has its faults too however

Old 05-19-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
In terms of literary achievement plus the performing arts, it's patently ridiculous to say that NZ has not distinguished itself. You clearly know nothing about these subjects and are simply giving your prejudiced views free rein. I wouldn't even waste my time to write enough words to fully refute somebody as one-eyed as you. I'm certainly not relying on Jackson's achivements (only a small part of the whole) to boost my case, either.
i was refuting your asserting that new zealand punches above its weight in artistic terms , that is not the same as saying it has produced no art of note and value

ireland would be a good example of a country which has punched above its weight artistically , litreture , music etc

id be the first to admit that we are below par when it comes to sport however , we love watching sport and participating but our results are distinctly average in reality , btw , thats an area where irish people are delusional , a lot of people think we are a strong sporting nation over here when we dont compare to countries like sweeden , australia , germany or even new zealand , the uk is not that great either when you consider its population although its much better than we are

that said , we have our own ethnic sports which hoover up a large amount of talented sports people , hurling and gaelic football are by far the biggest partipation sports in the country and they are amateur , outside dublin and the main citys , the bulk of good rugby players and soccer players get poached by the GAA , its a national movement let alone a sport , i happen to personally perfer soccer

Old 05-19-2012, 05:18 PM

104 posts, read 138,027 times
It's odd that when I travelled around Ireland in 2007 I never encountered anybody as difficult as Irish Bob. Maybe he's from Northern Ireland where I didn't go. I found they were really nice people.

Ok, Irish Bob, Just as an example ,lets have a look at the Olympics 2008.
On the basis of 5 pts for a gold, 3 pts for a silver and 1 pt for a bronze. Divide by the population at that time gives this:-
1st Netherlands Antilles 15.00
2nd Jamaica 14.75
3rd Bahamas 11.76
4th Iceland 9.38
5th Norway 6.67
6th Slovenia 6.50
7th Bahrain 6.33
8th Estonia 6.15
9th Australia 5.97
10th Mongolia 5.93
11th New Zealand 5.35
23rd Great Britain 2.40
45th Ireland 1.11
47th USA 1.07
67th China 0.26
90 India 0.01

Old 05-19-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
It's odd that when I travelled around Ireland in 2007 I never encountered anybody as difficult as Irish Bob. Maybe he's from Northern Ireland where I didn't go. I found they were really nice people.

Ok, Irish Bob, Just as an example ,lets have a look at the Olympics 2008.
On the basis of 5 pts for a gold, 3 pts for a silver and 1 pt for a bronze. Divide by the population at that time gives this:-
1st Netherlands Antilles 15.00
2nd Jamaica 14.75
3rd Bahamas 11.76
4th Iceland 9.38
5th Norway 6.67
6th Slovenia 6.50
7th Bahrain 6.33
8th Estonia 6.15
9th Australia 5.97
10th Mongolia 5.93
11th New Zealand 5.35
23rd Great Britain 2.40
45th Ireland 1.11
47th USA 1.07
67th China 0.26
90 India 0.01

i already stated that ireland does not perform well internationally in sport and that we are behind NZ in this regard

as for my being difficult , this is an internet forum , debate is encouraged , your jibe only reinforces by belief that kiwis are both smug and thin skinned and the tone of your dig perfectly encompasses both traits

Old 05-19-2012, 05:56 PM

I only picked on sport as I had the figures to hand

Never mind Bob. All's well in the end. Debate is good- I would never discourage it. Top 'o the mornin' to ya.
I was just a bit surprised as I've never encountered the generalisation of 'thin skinned and smug' applied to us before- we've got plenty of other faults but not them. A Kiwi must have upset you sometime. Sorry about that- every nation has idiots.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
I only picked on sport as I had the figures to hand

Never mind Bob. All's well in the end. Debate is good- I would never discourage it. Top 'o the mornin' to ya.
I was just a bit surprised as I've never encountered the generalisation of 'thin skinned and smug' applied to us before- we've got plenty of other faults but not them. A Kiwi must have upset you sometime. Sorry about that- every nation has idiots.

kiwis do have a reputation for being smug and thin skinned about thier own country , in fact ive seen writers and jouralists from new zealand comments

ps , a hint of advice , if you ever visit ireland , its not a good idea to say " top of the mornin to ya " to anyone , no one in ireland ever says that or never has for that matter

Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 AM

317 posts, read 528,178 times
Quote:

sure the all blacks have been dominant this past century but at the end of the day , rugby is a sport which is played competitivley by half a dozen or less than ten strong nations , your including the all whites has to be a joke , i dont consider ireland to punch above its weight at soccer and we are something like a hundred places higher on the FIFA rankings than the so called all whites , ireland are at 18 while NZ is at 130
And did you see the world cup game where the 130th ranked kiwi team played the euro soccer powerhouse team Italy?
Everyone predicted the kiwis would get slaughtered..but it ended in a draw.
So the All Whites punched WAY above their weight

Old 05-20-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
And did you see the world cup game where the 130th ranked kiwi team played the euro soccer powerhouse team Italy?
Everyone predicted the kiwis would get slaughtered..but it ended in a draw.
So the All Whites punched WAY above their weight

ireland had a 0-0 draw with leichenstien ( population 30,000) in a qualifying match for euro 1996 back in 1995 , ireland beat italy at the 1994 world cup , one match counts for nothing , the all whites are a minnow , its stretching credibility to say they punch above thier weight , perhaps if they focused more on soccer than rugby they might feel more part of the world , soccer being a global game and all

Old 05-20-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
ps , a hint of advice , if you ever visit ireland , its not a good idea to say " top of the mornin to ya " to anyone , no one in ireland ever says that or never has for that matter
I'm starting to have doubts about your Irish status Bob. Ireland was where I picked up the phrase, particularly down in the South West part. Early in the day it was invariably the B & B 's greeting where we stayed. Perhaps they were of a lower social status than you Bob, or maybe your not Irish at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand