Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:10 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunication View Post
Again your fear mongering the president would be chosen from the exact same pool of people that the governor generals are now, its a matter of replacing the gg and the queen with a president with the same ceremonial role of the two rolled into one.

And of course we'd still be a washminster parliamentary democracy like we are today.
And that is the point, if we are going to a republican model should the public not get a say in who will be president through a voting process ?
You will find that Parliament hate the idea of an elected president because he can say I was elected as president by the people unlike the PM who is elected as PM by a narrow group of other MPs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 04:35 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
And that is the point, if we are going to a republican model should the public not get a say in who will be president through a voting process ?
You will find that Parliament hate the idea of an elected president because he can say I was elected as president by the people unlike the PM who is elected as PM by a narrow group of other MPs.
that is how it works in a republic , the public get to vote , anyone can get on the ticket provided they get a certain number of regional councils or political parties to back them , what made you think the a president would be chosen by parliment

Old 06-18-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
that is how it works in a republic , the public get to vote , anyone can get on the ticket provided they get a certain number of regional councils or political parties to back them , what made you think the a president would be chosen by parliment
Because dear boy that is what Howard wanted with his idea of Parliament picking the President.
Think Australian politicians want the chance of an elected president with a mandate from the people ?
Politicians would pick the most competent person as president ? it would show them up would it not, at the moment we have a useless PM and a mad monk who is leader of the opposition.
A mad monk who seems to believe it is his duty as a catholic to stop young women having sex before marriage.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:28 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,625 times
Quote:
Because dear boy that is what Howard wanted with his idea of Parliament picking the President.
Think Australian politicians want the chance of an elected president with a mandate from the people ?
Politicians would pick the most competent person as president ? it would show them up would it not, at the moment we have a useless PM and a mad monk who is leader of the opposition.
A mad monk who seems to believe it is his duty as a catholic to stop young women having sex before marriage.
Exactly,we don't need a president controlled by politicians. It should be a postion of neautrality.
The mad monk is opposed to most things including abortion except for his wife/ then girlfriend, when they were at university.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:11 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
nzrugby cannot fathom the idea that not everyone slobbers over lizzy windsor like he does

Funny! As I've said before, if the people of the US hadn't decided enough was enough way back when, and used force of arms, I wonder if Canada and Australia would have been treated differently. The colonials in the US at the time considered themselves British thru and thru, so it must have taken a lot to get them to use violence.

Either way it eventually goes in Australia, the change would probably be subtle as Trimac alluded to.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:05 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times
I'm curious how prominent the presence of the Queen is in Australia. Is her portrait in all govt buildings and post offices, etc? Do Australians feel that it inhibits their sense of nation or country to have a foreign head of state?

I get this feeling Canadians are more loyal to the Queen due to the presence of the US right below them. My first trip to Canada I remember the slight sense of Britishness I detected. I remember seeing the Union Jack flying in front of a govt building (think it was on a provincial flag). The Queen is of course all over Canadian money. And I will never forget my first trip to London and seeing this old woman on the tube all decked out with little Canadian flag pins and Union Jack pins on. She reminded me of old waspy Americans you see at the English Speaking Union. Very odd to see.

I think it is a bit difficult for the average American to get their heads around this as it is drummed into us at a young age how tyrannical the Brits were and how heroic the Founding Fathers were, and of course how vile the traitorous United Empire Loyalists were (Tories). Although some schools and regions teach a more balanced view.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:02 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm curious how prominent the presence of the Queen is in Australia. Is her portrait in all govt buildings and post offices, etc? Do Australians feel that it inhibits their sense of nation or country to have a foreign head of state?

I get this feeling Canadians are more loyal to the Queen due to the presence of the US right below them. My first trip to Canada I remember the slight sense of Britishness I detected. I remember seeing the Union Jack flying in front of a govt building (think it was on a provincial flag). The Queen is of course all over Canadian money. And I will never forget my first trip to London and seeing this old woman on the tube all decked out with little Canadian flag pins and Union Jack pins on. She reminded me of old waspy Americans you see at the English Speaking Union. Very odd to see.

I think it is a bit difficult for the average American to get their heads around this as it is drummed into us at a young age how tyrannical the Brits were and how heroic the Founding Fathers were, and of course how vile the traitorous United Empire Loyalists were (Tories). Although some schools and regions teach a more balanced view.

ive relatives in BC which is the most british part of canada , ive been to canada , canada is much less british - royalist than australia , a comparison of both nations flags should itself tell you this

both are in the happenyplace compared to new zealand when it comes to royal sycophancy

Old 06-19-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Nope, we do not have her photo everywhere, no need when we have only had one Monarch for sixty years.
Aus is not a flag flying Nation in comparison to the USA, I noticed there was a lot of photos of the latest president in government buildings.
Sherman could have given the British lessons in being tyrannical, and obviously children in the US are not taught how much support the rebels had from certain sectors of British politics.

But it does seem that American politicians are confused, accepting knighthoods dished out by British politicians, do you not have a law against that ?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:08 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:

The Queen is found on our money and that's about it. I always got the feeling the Queen preferred Canada to Australia, and that Canada was slightly more *into* the monarchy than Australia.

The Queen is largely seen as a foreigner, with very little in common with Australia, aside from her being a head of state. A little bit of trivia, the Queen would be ineligible for Australian citizenship.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 PM

598 posts, read 955,987 times
Quote:
It would be illegal for a politician to become president just like it's illegal for a politician to become governor general right now, and who cares if politicians don't like the idea of an elected president maybe it'll give them a little humility which they need big time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand