Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 04:34 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,947,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Agreed, I have had numerous close and extended relatives that smoked all their lives and all died due to smoking related illnesses or side effects.
Not one lived past 80.

lol note sure I want to live past 80!

But yea, one of the last things my mum said to me was "I am not ready to die" and I remember feeling angry at her as I had nagged her for 20 years to give up.

I was there when My mother was told she was going to die, the Doctor almost seemed angry and certainly unsympathetic, imagine doing that job day in day out.

So no, kids don't have a right to choose smoking remove there right, we can call live with that loss of liberty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 PM

317 posts, read 528,178 times
Wonder if they are going to put pictures of obese children of on Mcdonalds Big Mac wrappers or pics of tortured animals on cosmetic products?

Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,394 times
I remember some of those stupid do-gooder brigades tried to get colourful packaging removed from cereals and ice cream boxes.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
Most people start smoking as young kids 12-18 when friends and pier pressure takes presadence over common sence and logical choices. How do you suggest that is stopped?. Do you think a 12 year old has earnt the right to live there life the way they want?. Most people have made there choice BEFORE the legal age of 18, the current laws don't work.
One of the reasons why the legal smoking age is 18 is to stop kids from getting to cigarettes. Has it worked? No. Kids will steal ciggies from their parents, get older siblings to buy it for them etc. If smoking is banned outright, it will only drive the market underground just like illegal drugs such as dope and cocaine. And there are certainly no shortage of people, including underage, who use them aswell.

Quote:
As a person that lost my mother to smoking (lung cancer 55) and probably my father (heart attack 58), I have little tolerance for choice of freedom arguments, smoking is NOT necessary.
No it is not necessary. Neither is booze, soft drink, beef, fast food, swimming pools, 8 cylinder cars, chocolate etc etc etc.....

So what, you saying we should ban those items aswell, because they are "not necessary"? Well, my friend, it's a personal choice and everybody is allowed to live their lives the way they want to without do-gooders like you interfering with our personal liberties at every given opportunity

Just because you mother died from smoking, doesn't mean everyone else now has to stop or for it to be banned. This is like dropping the speed limit on a road just because someone ran out infront of a car (and it has happened in my local street). Stupid and won't solve anything.

Quote:
I have little tolerance for choice of freedom arguments
And there it is. People like you are what's wrong with Australia. Trying to ram your ideologies down people's throats, trying to force legislation to "protect ourselves from ourselves" and in the process subtly but surely chipping away at basic personal freedoms. And sadly, alot of the time you lot manage to manipulate the government into creating new legislation (often in the form of a new tax ) under the guise of "saving the children".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
lol note sure I want to live past 80!

But yea, one of the last things my mum said to me was "I am not ready to die" and I remember feeling angry at her as I had nagged her for 20 years to give up.
And well she didn't. Maybe if instead of nagging, you could've tried helping her actively.

Quote:
I was there when My mother was told she was going to die, the Doctor almost seemed angry and certainly unsympathetic, imagine doing that job day in day out.
But he didn't tell her it wasn't her right though did he?

Quote:
So no, kids don't have a right to choose smoking remove there right, we can call live with that loss of liberty.
They already have their "right" to smoke removed with the legal age being 18.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,599,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
The smoking industry is detestable with their history of lies and ignoring of the affect on people, so yeah I don't really care if they can't market their disgusting product.
Yes. They are utterly detestable, these "people" (yes folks, corporations are people in the eyes of US law in various important ways). Isn't it touching, the number of defenders they have? Contributors here that smoke and expect taxpayers to pick up the bill later for their smoking-aggravated illnesses are hypocrites. Let them exercise the freedom to pay themselves!

Plain packaging will not stop the sale of cigarettes. But if even a small reduction in the numbers of young and easily influenced people taking up the habit occurs, that's good.

I only occasionally spend time in bars, but the relatively pleasant smell they have compared with the vile foggy muck masquerading as breathable air that characterised them is heaven by comparison.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 PM

359 posts, read 658,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'd respect them more with they just banned 'em outright.
Tasmania is talking of going down this path. Making illegal for anyone born after 2000 to smoke cigarettes. Through the upper house I think. Not sure about the lower house.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manygeese View Post
Tasmania is talking of going down this path. Making illegal for anyone born after 2000 to smoke cigarettes. Through the upper house I think. Not sure about the lower house.
This is what happens when people on a small isolated island breed with their family members. The offspring eventually end up in politics, bleeding-heart organisations and the like and we get proposals such as this. I expected nothing less from a place that harbors such creatures as Bob Brown.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
This is what happens when people on a small isolated island breed with their family members. The offspring eventually end up in politics, bleeding-heart organisations and the like and we get proposals such as this. I expected nothing less from a place that harbors such creatures as Bob Brown.
Careful, FS, your beloved KFC might be next on the agenda!

Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
They already have their "right" to smoke removed with the legal age being 18.
Do you work for the tobacco industry? Because, that is one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever read.

Less time in mum's basement playing MS FS and more time in the real world.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Careful, FS, your beloved KFC might be next on the agenda!
Well you see proposals for things like a "fast food tax" and "drink container" tax come up every so often. In Melbourne a couple of councils wanted to increase their tax rates on fast food joints by about 4 times in an attempt to stop them from opening new locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Do you work for the tobacco industry? Because, that is one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever read.
Less time in mum's basement playing MS FS and more time in the real world.
It is illegal for people under 18 to purchase smokes. So therefore by definition, they don't have a right to smoke if they're under 18. Very simple concept, idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand