Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
This goes for both BCC_1 and you, is that the reason why Darwin and the wider NT is the least popular area of Australia for foreigners to settle in besides Tasmania? The crime rate? It seems similar to the state below me, Maryland.
I think it's more that there is a lack of opportunity there. There's not that many jobs available, plus, as wanneroo points out, it's incredibly remote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 09:50 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,954,330 times
Indeed the remoteness. There has been discussion for decades about Darwin becoming the door to Indonesia but little happens.
Even the Indons find it too remote perhaps to be off a lot of interest apart from cattle shipments out of Darwin Port and a few things like that.
Probably with a far greater Asian population it would take off more but a clearer role needs to be established towards the direction the city wants to take.
It is very expensive to live there. Housing and food all above other cities. Doesn't make it an easy place to settle.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:25 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I was perusing the healthcare website of the NT and they have posted on their site that they have a need for drug addiction healthcare workers to stay in the NT. Does NT have a higher rate of drug abuse than other states of Australia?
I'd suspect that the drug abuse rate is considerably higher in the NT.

When I visited Alice Springs in 2003 I was not expecting to see the level of social dysfunction and alcoholism amongst some of the Aboriginal community there, it was quite shocking.

The federal government in the last few years have provided more government services as well as putting restrictions on alcohol and quarantining welfare payments in certain townships, in attempting to alleviate the problems there.
Northern Territory National Emergency Response - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand