Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 03:15 PM

5,365 posts, read 5,151,342 times

Advertisements

Specifically northern western Australia and northern Northern Territory and western Queensland. I know they have one of the more bizarre climates, but it should still be available for some agriculture, correct? However, there are many other places on the globe with harsher climates yet alot of people live there.

How is the land price in these areas? How many natural resources are there? What is the groundwater/aquifers like? Would it be hard to build infrastructure in these areas?

People say space is the next frontier, but I think northern Australia could be a more accessible one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 03:36 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,743,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Specifically northern western Australia and northern Northern Territory and western Queensland. I know they have one of the more bizarre climates, but it should still be available for some agriculture, correct? However, there are many other places on the globe with harsher climates yet alot of people live there.

How is the land price in these areas? How many natural resources are there? What is the groundwater/aquifers like? Would it be hard to build infrastructure in these areas?

People say space is the next frontier, but I think northern Australia could be a more accessible one.
There is already a fairly large irrigation project in northern WA, but that hasn't transitioned into large population growth. Perhaps as population distribution begins to be influenced more by the emerging markets of Asia rather than historical preferences, that may change.

Ord River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One big down side for the Top End though is the the cyclone season. Darwin was basically wiped off the map in 1974 by cyclone Tracy. Cyclone Tracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-22-2014, 04:17 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,961,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
There is already a fairly large irrigation project in northern WA, but that hasn't transitioned into large population growth. Perhaps as population distribution begins to be influenced more by the emerging markets of Asia rather than historical preferences, that may change.

Ord River - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One big down side for the Top End though is the the cyclone season. Darwin was basically wiped off the map in 1974 by cyclone Tracy. Cyclone Tracy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Poor Darwin. First, it got bombed to the ground by the Japanese, and then Cyclone Tracy leveled it.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:35 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,005,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

The biggest capacity for growth is still coastal North Queensland, there is no reason why the likes of Cairns and Townsville could not grow to 1 million people.
Northwest WA similarly could support much more population, in the higher rainfall areas that is in the Kimberley.
The Pilbara has a very harsh climate, but the permanent population is not high despite high paying mining jobs up there - many still live in Southwest WA and commute.
Northwest Qld and that bordering the NT in the Gulf country is still predominantly cattle properties and farming, unlikely to change in the near future.
But as a whole, Northern Australia is grossly underdeveloped.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:49 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,822,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Poor Darwin. First, it got bombed to the ground by the Japanese, and then Cyclone Tracy leveled it.
Yep, though those flimsy wooden buildings wouldn't have lasted anyway, it was bound to happen sooner or later...

As to the OP, this question has been asked many times...

Old 02-23-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yep, though those flimsy wooden buildings wouldn't have lasted anyway, it was bound to happen sooner or later...

As to the OP, this question has been asked many times...
The first thing the Spanish did when we colonized the hurricane belt in the Americas was build houses and buildings out of stone and concrete silly Brits/Australians

And I'm sure it has. Darwin's the only northern city that has potential to develop into a major center, only because it's the capital of NT. If there was an economical way to build and maintain a large reservoir in the North, then it would become viable to develop Darwin further. Does Darwin have a deep water port, or has the potential to build docks to accommodate tankers? Because from what I can gleam from, Darwin is in a great location, but lacks the infrastructure to handle large cargo loads. I wonder if it's cheaper shipping to Darwin and then putting cargo on a freight train to southern Australia or just going directly to Perth, Brisbane, and Sydney

Seems like most of Australia's trade is in Brisbane and Sydney and mostly dealing with USA, Canada, South Korea, and Japan. Seems like also there's a lot less "island dodging" to do from the east coast, as opposed to Darwin

Old 02-23-2014, 07:04 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,822,132 times
Townsville is a bigger city than Darwin and would be more strategically placed for shipping. Well Darwin is pretty isolated, so you'd have to get your goods by road or rail once you reached Darwin, it's easier for ships just to dock in the bigger cities closer to the market. As for exports, particularly of resources, Port Hedland is the major container port in the north in Western Australia shipping a lot of raw materials to other countries.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:07 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,979,810 times
I am no hippie or environmental freak, but seriously, those humid hot places (and deserts too) should be left for animals and nature in general.

But most especially the places with monsoons/cyclone seasons (Townsville, Cairns, Darwin) - for your life's worth, don't live there.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
I am no hippie or environmental freak, but seriously, those humid hot places (and deserts too) should be left for animals and nature in general.

But most especially the places with monsoons/cyclone seasons (Townsville, Cairns, Darwin) - for your life's worth, don't live there.
Life in the hurricane/cyclone belt isn't too bad. Spent my younger years in the deep tropics at Broome's latitude, I'm still alive

Old 02-25-2014, 04:39 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,005,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Life in the hurricane/cyclone belt isn't too bad. Spent my younger years in the deep tropics at Broome's latitude, I'm still alive
Yes, the risks of living in a tropical cyclone belt in a 1st world country are not that high, warning systems and building codes are much better than what they used to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand