Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 PM

145 posts, read 260,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Thanks for that, dont think ive ever listend to the Go Betweens, there is even a Bridge in Brisbane named for them
Nooo... no there isn't
Brisbane City Council listed a heap of names (many seemed to be long-dead wealthy capitalists with walrus moustaches or something!) and invited the public to vote. Community radio 4ZZZ kinda sneakily broadcast that you could vote more than once, and many of us did... haha.
I think Council caught on but didn't acknowledge it publicly. They got their revenge though. They named it;

Go Between Bridge

Suited council better too I guess, sounded a bit snappier, and.. they didn't have to acknowledge a local band whose best known song rubbishes Brisbane.

The Go-Betweens - Streets of your town - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 10:36 PM

Widely acknowledged as the first punk song of all time Brisbane band 'The Saints'

The Saints - (I'm) Stranded (1977) - YouTube

Ed Kuepper (ex- Saints). Beautiful song

705 ED KUEPPER If I had a ticket - YouTube

Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 PM

saw an earlier post where someone mentioned protest songs. My 2 faves, all from Brisbane bands. Its all pretty rough, both musically and aurally - first one is over 20yo
First one against the fascist premier of the time, Joh (and Qld Police)

Pig City - 80s Super8 clip - YouTube

**Explicit language** One on ex-Prime Minister John Howard

John Howard - Victims of NOAH - Potrev Mix - YouTube

Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoonio View Post
Nooo... no there isn't
Brisbane City Council listed a heap of names (many seemed to be long-dead wealthy capitalists with walrus moustaches or something!) and invited the public to vote. Community radio 4ZZZ kinda sneakily broadcast that you could vote more than once, and many of us did... haha.
I think Council caught on but didn't acknowledge it publicly. They got their revenge though. They named it;

Go Between Bridge

Suited council better too I guess, sounded a bit snappier, and.. they didn't have to acknowledge a local band whose best known song rubbishes Brisbane.

I suppose your right I'm a Brissy local too! Never really thought about the dropping of the s in the name. All i heard was the publicity that it was named after the Go Betweens!

At least they did not give it someting like the newly named Sir Leo Hielsher bridge.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-18-2013 at 11:58 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltoonio View Post
Nooo... no there isn't

Go Between Bridge

What an apt name for a bridge, go-between lol.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:30 AM

598 posts, read 956,164 times
These Grinspoon songs make me nostalgic for high school

Grinspoon - Chemical Heart - YouTube

Grinspoon - Lost Control - YouTube

Grinspoon - No Reason (Version 2) - YouTube

Old 01-19-2013, 05:11 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,393 times
Although not my favorite/cup of tea, I just found a recent Aussie song:

Windows 8 TV Commercial Song (Everything at Once) - Lyrics & Video

Old 01-19-2013, 07:20 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Past Australian favorites from Kylie Minogue:

The Locomotion - Kylie Minogue 1988 - YouTube

Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky - YouTube

Old 01-19-2013, 10:49 AM

489 posts, read 1,193,031 times
Default Tame Impala = Quality

Tame Impala - Half Full Glass Of Wine - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand