Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:06 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,694,724 times

Advertisements

as a former resident of Asia, I can attest that the most racist places in the world are in East Asia (Japan, Korea, China).

Japan's population is aging and dying; they are not reproducing - yet they would rather see the economy flounder and living standards decline than open the doors to mass migration like we did in the 50s and 60s. Just one example

How about not being able to rent an apartment because you are not Asian? Or being refused service in a restaurant? Or being denied citizenship? It if was Australia, we'd be condemnded worldwide. Yet Asia gets away with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,109,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
One thing I've noticed is that overwhelmingly people who say Australia is racist a) have never actually been to Australia b) are from the US. I know Americans hyperventilate at anything to do with race and expect the rest of the world to follow suit, which perhaps explains it. Study after study has shown Australia to be one of the most tolerant places on Earth.

I guess once a perception exists it's awfully hard to change.

http://www.oecd.org/berlin/47570353.pdf

And why are there so many race related threads on this forum, it's pretty strange.
I think people will just believe what they want to

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
as a former resident of Asia, I can attest that the most racist places in the world are in East Asia (Japan, Korea, China).

Japan's population is aging and dying; they are not reproducing - yet they would rather see the economy flounder and living standards decline than open the doors to mass migration like we did in the 50s and 60s. Just one example

How about not being able to rent an apartment because you are not Asian? Or being refused service in a restaurant? Or being denied citizenship? It if was Australia, we'd be condemnded worldwide. Yet Asia gets away with it.
This is real racism.
Running into bigots, can happen anywhere.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:19 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,434 times
This is a sorry spectacle, but racist ? The main french girl_Fanny something_ is actually whiter than those other commuters lol

More of an alcohol induced xenophobic display IMO

France are now done with Mali.....up next Australia lol

Old 02-17-2013, 07:33 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
That is true it all about money and they are better able to make money in economically advanced countries than back in their home country. However many want to go due to the political oppressions back at home and war such as from the Middle East.

Well regarding the topic, a estimated one in 10 Australians hold outwardly racist beliefts and 40 percent of people believe some ethnic groups don't belong here. One in 10 are racist, study says - National - smh.com.au

So even if you are taking public transport and if someone racially abuses someone there would be at least a few others that would agree with the racist while on board and one or two of them would join and openly join the first person that racially abused the person.

It is illegal to racially abuse someone on public transport, places of employment, schools, etc. Yet if the racial abuse happened in a private home then it is not illegal.

I am in the US so there is no sense in accusing Australia of racism. It would be like the pot-kettle thing. However let me just say that the idea of coming to one of these more advanced countries for political freedom is not the purpose. My parents were both immigrants and they were happy to have the economic freedom that the US offered. But freedom in the general sense. Well that can be argued. Certainly they didn't have to worry too much about the "authorities" when they came here but today things are a bit different with regard to personal freedom.

Immigrants don't enjoy all the freedoms of the average citizen but the second generation does. Most walk on egg shells and often worry that they will be deported or something similar. Old habits and fears die a slow death. Today I live in a building that is almost exclusively populated by East Asians. They are very careful about what they say and fear that building management can evict them at any time. This of course is not true but they still feel this distrust. They do not readily express themselves and much less about politics in the US. They are even more reticent to express their true feelings in front of natives.

There is one area where the immigrant does have more freedom than the native and that is he does not have to conform to the same rules and image that the native does. In this area the immigrant gets a pass and the reasons are obvious. I am sure those who are perceptive and have live for a long period in another country have experienced this.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:29 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
1 in 10 is still too high, but there is always two sides to the study. Get away from the sensationalist front page headlines, and actually read the interviews with the reports publishers, you get things like this.

"His response was galvanising. He and his team had asked this very question, and comparative studies confirmed that Australia did indeed fare well. In parts of western Europe, three in 10 people were racists, and the figure was higher in parts of eastern Europe. The only place Dunn had found that was less racist than Australia (and then only a little less so), was Canada.
''But that's about it,'' he said. ''I can't find many other places in the world that would outperform Australia on positivity to diversity"

"This is the other side of the racism story, an encouraging, uplifting and crucial side that needs to be broadcast - loudly. It is important that the ''destructive minority'' of racists in Australia realise that they are just that, a deviance from the norm, and that the silent majority of Australians are open-minded and accepting. Significantly, research into racism shows that if people with racist views are made to feel as though their views are ''mainstream'', they are emboldened in their racist behaviour (and, let's be clear, it's not just people of ''Anglo'' backgrounds who may hold racist views). Politicians who insist on denying that racism exists and who pass it off as ''normal'' or even ''patriotic'' to be intolerant, are playing an ugly and dangerous game. Is this ringing any bells?"

Read more: Survey Finds Australians Are Racist

The same Result was almost perfectly replicated by the gallop poll for the OECD.

http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/s...Type=text/html

Excellent post. Other99 is trying to portray Australians as more racist with his video (though it was white against white which is really not racist but more anti-Foreign), the links prove otherwise. My experience living in Oz, as a non-visibly white person, was positive. I witnessed one incident where an old white drunk man on a bus in Adelaide was yelling at 2 Asians foreign students to speak English. The bus driver stopped the bus, walked up to the idiot and told him to shut up and behave or be thrown out. The passengers clapped, a completely different experience than the video the OP posted to prove how racist Australians are. Good to see Australia rank higher than the US below. Perhaps we should keep this link and next time a non-Australian starts another "Australians are racist" thread, we post the following.

source: http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/s...Type=text/html

Old 02-18-2013, 07:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
One thing I've noticed is that overwhelmingly people who say Australia is racist a) have never actually been to Australia b) are from the US. I know Americans hyperventilate at anything to do with race and expect the rest of the world to follow suit, which perhaps explains it. Study after study has shown Australia to be one of the most tolerant places on Earth.

I guess once a perception exists it's awfully hard to change.

http://www.oecd.org/berlin/47570353.pdf

And why are there so many race related threads on this forum, it's pretty strange.
Even though I've been a victim of slurs/taunts, I haven't really experienced institutionalized racism or discrimination, and agree it's a vocal minority. I think Aussie culture is just a bit rougher around the edges than American culture and less PC, which is why it all sounds so shocking to Americans. But I've heard from American friends that people often use the 'n' word a lot in private conversation. This is not something I hear a lot in conversations here (not that word but equivalent) so maybe Americans are just less vocal about their racism?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,170,254 times
It can happen anywhere:

Idaho man charged with assault after slapping tot on flight, telling mom to 'shut that n----r baby up': court - NY Daily News

Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
True That TrueDat. I just heard this on the news. It was no surprise, older white man.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:13 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,497,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Excellent post. Other99 is trying to portray Australians as more racist with his video (though it was white against white which is really not racist but more anti-Foreign), the links prove otherwise. My experience living in Oz, as a non-visibly white person, was positive. I witnessed one incident where an old white drunk man on a bus in Adelaide was yelling at 2 Asians foreign students to speak English. The bus driver stopped the bus, walked up to the idiot and told him to shut up and behave or be thrown out. The passengers clapped, a completely different experience than the video the OP posted to prove how racist Australians are. Good to see Australia rank higher than the US below. Perhaps we should keep this link and next time a non-Australian starts another "Australians are racist" thread, we post the following.
If only it were that easy Minibrings, no doubt there would be all sorts of posts questioning the credibility of the OECD, and that a worldwide survey of 100,000 people is totally incorrect, because its not representative of the general population etc etc

BCC's got it right, its awfully hard to shake perceptions.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 02-18-2013 at 04:18 PM..

Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,383,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
BCC's got it right, its awfully hard to shake perceptions.

That is true. Also the average person will not accept truth unless it fits their perception(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand