Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 04:56 PM

6 posts, read 71,315 times

Advertisements

Hi I will be moving to Melbourne next November.
Is Melbourne a safe place to live?
Is there any suburbs that are not recommended to live in?
Is it easy to find a job at this time of year or is it hard because it will be Christmas time? I am an electrician .
And what about schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 03:09 AM

58 posts, read 204,704 times
Hey there unclesemi.

Quote:
Of course, its the safest city ive ever been to [been to Europe and Asia and middle east] and here is an extract from Wikidpedia.
"Melbourne, Victoria, Australia is a reasonably safe city by world standards. It has a lower crime rate than Sydney, and it has the lowest per capita rate of violent crime of any Australian capital city"

Quote:
I'm going to answer you to the best of my knowledge. I've only lived in a few suburbs...and i've never had any bad experiences anywhere.
I suggest the suburbs Pascoe Vale, Parkville and Moone Ponds. all very close to the city [Downtown] [especially Parkville] and are all crime-free to my knowledge.

Quote:
Is it easy to find a job at this time of year or is it hard because it will be Christmas time? I am an electrician .
November and December and January is the best timem and easiest time to find a job i suggest using these 2 sites for a job and requirments.
SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site

Jobs, Employment & Careers @ MyCareer

Quote:
And what about schools?
Univeristys, we have the best in australia.

Uni of Melbourne, 2nd best Uni in Australia and Worlds 16th best Uni
Monash University 7th best Uni in Australia and worlds 40's
RMIT Univeristy aswell is one of the best.

All close to the Moone Ponds and Parkville area.

Need any more help, feel free to ask.
Thanks, HH61

Old 09-16-2008, 06:39 AM

200 posts, read 1,008,478 times
I actually lived in Parkville. Very nice. I also liveind in Elsternwick over on the east side which was also very nice and very convenient for transport. A great city which I'm sure you will enjoy.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:05 PM

6 posts, read 71,315 times
hi
thanks for your great help.
much appreciated

unclesemi

Old 09-17-2008, 06:41 AM

63 posts, read 213,308 times
I lived in Templestowe and Mooroolbark, both are safe and quiet. I'd recommend them

Old 09-21-2008, 10:25 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HH61 View Post
Univeristys, we have the best in australia.

Uni of Melbourne, 2nd best Uni in Australia and Worlds 16th best Uni
Monash University 7th best Uni in Australia and worlds 40's
RMIT Univeristy aswell is one of the best.

All close to the Moone Ponds and Parkville area.

Need any more help, feel free to ask.
Thanks, HH61
Mate

there's also Swinburne and UVic... of course not as good as the above..

Old 12-16-2008, 05:27 AM

1 posts, read 27,235 times
Default Finding a job in australia

At this time of Christmas it's hard everywhere to find a job. With all the bills everyone has to pay nobody leaves his work to find another job. So think about it. If you don't have some extra cash which you can use for a while till you find a job you'll be in trouble because you need to eat and do all your daily needs. you have a place where to stay when you go?
And i think nowhere is safe to live you can go outside and they can kill you. But i lived there u can't leave children in streets alone not even for 1 minute they will snatch them.
I used to live there with my family, we are maltese and we moved back to malta but I'm thinking of moving there too this year alone with out my family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclesemi View Post

Hi I will be moving to Melbourne next November.
And what about schools?

Last edited by vivic87; 12-16-2008 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: I had a mistake when writing

Old 05-03-2009, 06:43 AM

129 posts, read 555,524 times
If your coming from the US then just about any city in other countries is safer except for african cities and colombian cities. Could I suggest next time you post such a question as this one that you let people know which country you are presently in as that determines to a great extent any accuracy in an answer

Old 05-04-2009, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 26,779 times
hmmm if you need extra income, maybe this could help. "http://www.you-need-extra-cash.com/

Old 05-05-2009, 03:21 AM

38 posts, read 297,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarch View Post
If your coming from the US then just about any city in other countries is safer except for african cities and colombian cities. Could I suggest next time you post such a question as this one that you let people know which country you are presently in as that determines to a great extent any accuracy in an answer
This is a very foolish statement. How can you compare a city like Detroit or St Louis to a city like San Jose or NYC (which, may I remind you, is safer than Melbourne per capita)?

To the OP, like any other city, it depends where you live. Many of the posters here have stated that they live in places like Parkeville, Elsternwick and Templestowe. These suburbs are VERY expensive (you are looking at buying a house for close to or over $1m) and are filled with either old money or young and single professionals.

Suburbs to perhaps avoid (remembering that these suburbs are pretty affordable): Dandenong-Noble Park-Springvale area, Doveton, Sunshine-St Albans area, Broadmeadows-Dallas-Jacana area and Melton. Also, places like Footscray, Richmond etc. can be dangerous at night, particularly on weekends (however, these places are still expensive due to their proximity to the city).

If I was you I would look at moving to a new estate in one of Melbourne's fringe suburbs. They are usually pretty far from the CBD but they are safe and affordable. Also, being an electrician, proximity to the city really shouldn't matter for you. Schools are usually pretty decent in these suburbs too.

If you do have some extra money, look at a house in suburbs like Oak Park, Greensborough, Heidleberg, Glen Waverly etc.

There are a lot of determnants like income, family size, reliance on public transport etc. that you need to consider when buying a house that you should clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand