Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,986,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Excellent post. Other99 is trying to portray Australians as more racist with his video (though it was white against white which is really not racist but more anti-Foreign), the links prove otherwise. My experience living in Oz, as a non-visibly white person, was positive. I witnessed one incident where an old white drunk man on a bus in Adelaide was yelling at 2 Asians foreign students to speak English. The bus driver stopped the bus, walked up to the idiot and told him to shut up and behave or be thrown out. The passengers clapped, a completely different experience than the video the OP posted to prove how racist Australians are. Good to see Australia rank higher than the US below. Perhaps we should keep this link and next time a non-Australian starts another "Australians are racist" thread, we post the following.

source: OECD iLibrary: Statistics / Society at a Glance / 2011 / Tolerance of minorities is highest in Anglophone and Northern European countries
These incidents of racial abuse don't happen all the time. Even though the OECD survey that portrayed Australians as one of the most tolerant people, there are still ugly incidents that still happen. I have had other incidents of racism and other types of discrimination before in Australia but I won't go further into it unless if there are people here on CD want to know some of the other incidents with it. I even have experienced racism in Asia as well. I never lived in Asia but visited there. Yet of course racism exist everywhere and of course there are countries outside Australia that are more racist than Australia.

Yet racism is not common and I did not portray as Australia as racist but it not free of racism. Infact there has been a poll in a Sydney newspaper regarding racism and the result was:

A Herald Sun poll on the issue has drawn an emphatic response from readers, with more that 83 per cent of 8257 respondents thus far agreeing that racism is still prevalent.

In addition there is a doctor in Melbourne who claims that her daughter experienced racism during Australia day and she dressed up in green and gold and put a Aussie sticker on her face and yet was born here. Yet a drunk Australian told her she looks Chinese and should go home.
Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

Last edited by other99; 02-18-2013 at 11:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 09:02 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
These incidents of racial abuse don't happen all the time. Even though the OECD survey that portrayed Australians as one of the most tolerant people, there are still ugly incidents that still happen. I have had other incidents of racism and other types of discrimination before in Australia but I won't go further into it unless if there are people here on CD want to know some of the other incidents with it. I even have experienced racism in Asia as well. I never lived in Asia but visited there. Yet of course racism exist everywhere and of course there are countries outside Australia that are more racist than Australia.

Yet racism is not common and I did not portray as Australia as racist but it not free of racism. Infact there has been a poll in a Sydney newspaper regarding racism and the result was:

A Herald Sun poll on the issue has drawn an emphatic response from readers, with more that 83 per cent of 8257 respondents thus far agreeing that racism is still prevalent.

In addition there is a doctor in Melbourne who claims that her daughter experienced racism during Australia day and she dressed up in green and gold and put a Aussie sticker on her face and yet was born here. Yet a drunk Australian told her she looks Chinese and should go home.

OK I get that English may not be your native language. However, posting a video about a racial incident can imply that you are making the assumption that Aussies are racist.
If your intent was to discuss incidents on public transport, ONLY, as you claim, perhaps next time make sure that is clearly stated on the thread title.

Adding yet another incident (see what your link above) does not help your case (e.g. "I was not implying Aussies were racist..."), on the contrary it does the opposite. FYI.

Last edited by minibrings; 02-19-2013 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 02:52 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,696,421 times
Quote:

Who cares? Big whoop. A drunk person was abusive. Oh no.
Trust a Victorian to make a fuss over something so petty

Old 02-19-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
OK I get that English may not be your native language. However, posting a video about a racial incident can imply that you are making the assumption that Aussies are racist.
If your intent was to discuss incidents on public transport, ONLY, as you claim, perhaps next time make sure that is clearly stated on the thread title.

Adding yet another incident (see what your link above) does not help your case (e.g. "I was not implying Aussies were racist..."), on the contrary it does the opposite. FYI.
The original question I had with the thread was has anyone witnessed racial abuse on public transport in Australia. So far no one has answered the question.

Yes English is my first language. I should have changed the thread title on "Have you witnessed racial abuse on public transport?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
Who cares? Big whoop. A drunk person was abusive. Oh no.
Trust a Victorian to make a fuss over something so petty
Tropical from your threads you are gay, and you do make threads about gays being discrimination in places such as Queensland. Plus you make threads about religious insitution that is homophobic. You want to be treated as equal and not be discrimated against. Maybe I should have responded on your thread and put down Who Cares and Big Whoop.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,696,421 times
Quote:
Tropical from your threads you are gay, and you do make threads about gays being discrimination in places such as Queensland. Plus you make threads about religious insitution that is homophobic. You want to be treated as equal and not be discrimated against. Maybe I should have responded on your thread and put down Who Cares and Big Whoop.
You can't draw a comparison between legalised discrimination (i.e. no surrogacy for gays or marriage) and the antics of one drunk man. One is planned, systematic and legitimizes discrimination, one is an abusive, opportunistic drunk person. duhh

Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,895,160 times
Quote:
The original question I had with the thread was has anyone witnessed racial abuse on public transport in Australia. So far no one has answered the question.

Yes English is my first language. I should have changed the thread title on "Have you witnessed racial abuse on public transport?
Public transport runs the full cross-section of society. When I was about 12 or 13 there was a flasher on a bus. It would be pretty silly though to extrapolate that and start a thread like "why are Australians such sexual deviants". The only time I've seen racial abuse on public transport was on the Tube in London a couple of Chelsea supporters were trying to pick a fight with some guy because he was Polish. It happens, everywhere.

It does sort of come back to the preoccupation on this site of anything race related.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical87 View Post
You can't draw a comparison between legalised discrimination (i.e. no surrogacy for gays or marriage) and the antics of one drunk man. One is planned, systematic and legitimizes discrimination, one is an abusive, opportunistic drunk person. duhh
I not talking about the case of one drunk man. If I was I would not bother with the thread at all. Anyway one can be both gay and racist and there is a article regarding that in Australia: Are gays more racist? - Star Observer

I even knew a gay guy in Sydney and did admit that there are gays out there that are racist. I knew another gay guy that admited he dislikes the large cultural diversity of his city. Yet of course there are hetrosexuals out there that are racist.

Yet even though that racism is illegal in Australia racial sterotypes still exists, including those in the law. Example as follows:
Racist stereotypes continue to persist in Australian’s minds, even if they are magistrates, as the following story shows [30].
A man struck a woman with his car while she was lying on the ground in a parking lot. He was told by bystanders that she was drunk and would be okay.
The man proceeded his journey with the woman left on the pavement where she later died.
In the Magistrate’s Court the man received a A$400 fine and was allowed to keep his driver’s license.
In sentencing, the magistrate said: “It’s clearly the case that an Aboriginal person in the dark on the bitumen or other places is extremely hard to see… It’s easy to imagine how such an accident could happen.”
http://www.creativespirits.info/abor...inal-australia

Yes Gays and Lesbians do get discrimated against even if they have the law to protect them. However discrimination whatever it is exists out there.

Last edited by other99; 02-19-2013 at 11:30 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 11:31 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,505,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Public transport runs the full cross-section of society. When I was about 12 or 13 there was a flasher on a bus. It would be pretty silly though to extrapolate that and start a thread like "why are Australians such sexual deviants". The only time I've seen racial abuse on public transport was on the Tube in London a couple of Chelsea supporters were trying to pick a fight with some guy because he was Polish. It happens, everywhere.

It does sort of come back to the preoccupation on this site of anything race related.
Oddly enough the only real racist incident i have seen on Public transport was on the tube as well.

Maybe we should address this with the good folks over on the the London forum.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post

Thank you for that. Finally someone answers my question. I should start a thread on the British section regarding racial abuse on the public transport system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand