Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 07:24 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,895,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Barely left America? I have been on 3 continents and more than 20 countries but keep fooling yourself.
That wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the poster who has called me stupid, a liar and a fool all because he doesn't like my opinion. He was happy to download his opinion on Australian food based on his 3 week stay, but I do the same based on living in the US for a few years and I must be lying about having ever been there.

The bizarre thing is I gave a data point that Americans consumer 30%-40% more sugar than other wealthy countries but I'm still wrong. If I'm wrong tell me, without using anecdotes. Because I'm hardly the first non-American to notice that seemingly everything in America is sweetened.

Last edited by BCC_1; 09-24-2021 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 07:30 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,310,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
I agree, but you were the first one that mentioned American food! Then some of us had to deal with this BCC_1 person.
I know I did and I regret mentioning it. All I meant was that it is not high on my list of attractions; we went to Utah, Alaska and Maui in 2018 for the incredible scenery. The places we would seek out specifically
for food are Italy and Singapore.

We have been to New Zealand only three times and the second time, one January, the weather was absolutely dismal. It never stopped raining. Would suggest prospective visitors check whether the climate is one that would suit.

But the biggest problem facing NZ would seem to be real estate prices.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/busin...-for-11th-year

Old 09-24-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What about the ozone hole? There's an unusually high amount of solar radiation I read, because of that, and precautions need to be taken?
Yes that is another issue. New Zealand has the world’s highest rate of melanoma, followed by Australia. I think Queensland may be higher than NZ but as it is not a country (not yet anyway!) it is included in Australia’s figure.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:38 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
You're all kinda proving what I said: If you find (for instance) the Italian sauces here to be too (Sweet, spicy, thick, thin, etc) - then don't go to that place again. The place next door has a totally different recipe. That's the challenge here - finding your kind of food.
This was a great post, all of it including the portions I didn't quote. Honestly, I don't blame people from other countries for underestimating the food of the US. It's hard--no, impossible--to get a good idea of what the US has to offer if you are here for a short time as a tourist, and it's hard to even imagine the variety if you come from a very small country.

But I just wish that when Americans say things like "You can get wonderful produce in the US," that foreigners would not automatically respond, "That's not true; when I visited the US, the produce didn't look as good as it does in my country and the selection wasn't great either." Then you find out they only shopped for produce at Wal-Mart.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This was a great post, all of it including the portions I didn't quote. Honestly, I don't blame people from other countries for underestimating the food of the US. It's hard--no, impossible--to get a good idea of what the US has to offer if you are here for a short time as a tourist, and it's hard to even imagine the variety if you come from a very small country.

But I just wish that when Americans say things like "You can get wonderful produce in the US," that foreigners would not automatically respond, "That's not true; when I visited the US, the produce didn't look as good as it does in my country and the selection wasn't great either." Then you find out they only shopped for produce at Wal-Mart.
I agree, but this could be said about almost any wealthy, immigrant country on earth.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:54 PM

https://www.bluekanu.co.nz/wp-conten...u-june2021.pdf

https://www.boardwalkqueenstown.nz/w...tember2021.pdf

https://www.flamegrill.co.nz/library...mber2020lr.pdf

Here are some interesting menus I found from Queenstown restaurants.

We are hoping to get over there next year, if the borders look like reopening and staying open.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
https://www.bluekanu.co.nz/wp-conten...u-june2021.pdf

https://www.boardwalkqueenstown.nz/w...tember2021.pdf

https://www.flamegrill.co.nz/library...mber2020lr.pdf

Here are some interesting menus I found from Queenstown restaurants.

We are hoping to get over there next year, if the borders look like reopening and staying open.
Try Botswana Butchery if you can. It's in the old post office. Really nice dining room and the meat is outstanding. The Bunker is also really nice although a bit harder to get a booking.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:17 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
When in Queenstown, also try Fernhill fish and chips for some real kiwi kai - a scoop, a fish, and a paua, will be the closest to heaven you can experience on earth.

Old 09-24-2021, 09:13 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Yum. I will keep track of them for a potential trip.

I cannot remember if we ate a lot of lamb on our last trip. Would expect to find a lot on the menus in NZ but then again, maybe everyone eats a lot at home. Like I did here as a child. Monday was roast lamb, Tuesday lamb chops, Wednesday lamb casserole, Thursday lamb cutlets. Longed for Friday Chinese restaurant, where my father would invariably order, yet again, lamb cutlets. I truly did not cook lamb for about five years when I left home. But love it now.

Joe, any idea when we might expect an opening up for tourists? We are living in hope of this time next year.

Old 09-25-2021, 10:02 AM

910 posts, read 367,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
That wasn't directed at you. It was directed at the poster who has called me stupid, a liar and a fool all because he doesn't like my opinion. He was happy to download his opinion on Australian food based on his 3 week stay, but I do the same based on living in the US for a few years and I must be lying about having ever been there.

The bizarre thing is I gave a data point that Americans consumer 30%-40% more sugar than other wealthy countries but I'm still wrong. If I'm wrong tell me, without using anecdotes. Because I'm hardly the first non-American to notice that seemingly everything in America is sweetened.
This is not true. It is not that I disagreed with your opinion, more that you as an Aussie, were making statements about the USA, that were simply false. Several other Americans responded to your posts, to let you know that you were wrong. We Americans, whether left or right, Democrat, Republican, or Independent, Conservative, Moderate, or Liberal, all can be at times very critical of the USA. But you were making outlandish statements, that ALL our food has "high fructose corn syrup" in absolutely everything. That is your exact words. All Americans are going to call you out on that, because it simply is not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand