Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 01:55 AM

468 posts, read 616,621 times

Advertisements

Australians have always had very questionable taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 03:26 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,964,186 times
This post struck a chord in me. Bali has been so hyped and has such a reputation for exotic tropicalia, that I flew half way across the globe to go there. I stayed in a good hotel and area and didn't have a bad time, but wondered what it was all about. The beaches were ordinary, the food ordinary (compare with Thailand!), the traffic and pollution unpleasant, and in Ubud (the center of all the hype) i found it impossible to walk the rubbled broken sidewalks. but yes the rice paddy landscapes were nice.

As many of the posters have said Australians go there because it is reasonably priced and not far.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:49 PM

5,060 posts, read 7,506,338 times
Personally i have never been inte4ested

Old 07-04-2019, 05:54 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times
In the last week three people I know mostly through business contacts have all gone to Bali. (two others to Thailand) I expect, well know in most cases it is to escape our winter, which has been somewhat wet of recent. Yesterday I asked one , "Why Bali, again" noting it was the third visit over around eighteen months. "Not too third worldly like other countries in the region like Vietnam, Cambodia etc". I think there we have it for West Australians. It has become so familiar over time that it is regarded as almost a defacto part of this state. It is so familiar. It is cheaper by far than any Aussie destination. Hardly very 'exotic' in real terms, but different enough yet acceptable and familiar to those not a fan of the truly different .

Old 07-05-2019, 12:33 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,347,524 times
I've never been to Bali, but folks who have typically say its quite beautiful once you get out of the tourist traps at Kuta Beach.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:56 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,963,227 times
If especially live in Perth, it can be a decent enough getaway for a week in terms of relaxation and recharging the batteries. To holiday anywhere in Western Australia, unless camping tends to be rather expensive not to say samey. There are some special flight offers (subsidised) to Broome in the Far North Kimberley region which is very nice outside of the town, but again not cheap.

Hence Bali, while not exactly exotic does offer an alternative and is obviously foreign (so feels like you are away) Massages are cheap. Food can be cheap, although expensive places exist , they are well versed to Aussies so they feel somewhat at home.
Kuta has long been over run by a 'down market' crowd, not necessary bad, but can result in some challenging behaviour, although saw less on last visit to Kuta, thing is Bali, the brand is well known and fewer places are tourist free but obviously some locations better than others. I don't think too many go there for adventure type holidays and it is not Borneo where some rough going work is required if wanting to hike on some of the jungle trails.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I've never been to Bali, but folks who have typically say its quite beautiful once you get out of the tourist traps at Kuta Beach.

As unpleasant as Kuta is, it is not the problem. Most of the southern reaches of Bali are massively overcrowded as the largest city is here. Denpasar has nearly 1,000,000 people. and it is chaotic and ugly everywhere nearby. the famous temple/religious shrines are also swarming with lines of tourists. I suppose if you go to the far north of the island you may get some relief.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:28 PM

When i was in Bali, and lazing around the pool we struck up a conversation with a lovely Australian family. And suddenly the wife exclaimed, "you don't know how lucky you are in the U.S. having near at end such travel attractions as Canada, Mexico, South America, the Caribbean, and even Europe. What have we got near Australia? Fiji! New Guinea! Bali!. There may be something here to consider.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:44 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,347,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
When i was in Bali, and lazing around the pool we struck up a conversation with a lovely Australian family. And suddenly the wife exclaimed, "you don't know how lucky you are in the U.S. having near at end such travel attractions as Canada, Mexico, South America, the Caribbean, and even Europe. What have we got near Australia? Fiji! New Guinea! Bali!. There may be something here to consider.
She probably has never been to the Carribean or Mexico...

Places like Fiji and Vanuatu are actually pretty pleasant. Vietnam and Malaysia also have a lot to offer tourists.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:57 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,311,348 times
Yes, by the time you plan a trip, get to the airpost and brave all the lines and procedures, what is a couple more hours. There are wonderful places like Sabah only a little father than Bail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand