Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 02:07 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Define civilized world. I love guns does that make me uncivilized?
No, loving guns doesn't make you uncivilized. What is uncivilized is having way too easy access to purchase guns, and gun laws that are not uniform across the country, thereby making state and city guns laws pretty much useless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 11:27 PM

280 posts, read 338,856 times
Australia is generally great after living 30 years and majority of my life here. The only negatives are the result of the positives here e.g. being isolated from the world keeps the population low, there is reduced risk of illegal immigrants.

The only "negatives" here are also first world issues but I feel as if things have slipped a bit since maybe the 90s e.g. Houses are a lot more expensive.

The only real gripe I have is living in Australia seems like a microcosm of a larger world...

Old 09-05-2016, 12:21 AM

148 posts, read 175,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No, loving guns doesn't make you uncivilized. What is uncivilized is having way too easy access to purchase guns, and gun laws that are not uniform across the country, thereby making state and city guns laws pretty much useless.
I also don't understand why not having guns at Wal-Mart is a bad thing, at all. Even having Wal-Mart is NOT a bad thing, I'd say a good thing. Even though Wal-Marts can be cool to shop at, I don't think it's the best place with the best products, and they're known for being inhumane. And even then, why is buying a gun at a place that's not Wal-Mart BAD?

Don't get me wrong, I think guns can be cool to fire and own, but the gun obsession in America is extreme. There's no reason why easily buying a gun without a background check would be a really good thing. Guns can be bad in the wrong hands.

Also, no harsh winters and no volcanoes are not a bad thing. I like cold and snow sometimes, but having it -20 F isn't really that cool. Also, volcanoes can be neat to see but if I wanted to see one I'd just go to Hawaii.

Old 09-05-2016, 12:29 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,837 times
Australia benefits from a large mineral wealth divided among a small population...and they do spread that wealth around pretty well. Climate is fantastic in many areas. One nice advantage in my mind is the fact it's an island and hard for illegal immigrants to get there and flood the services of the nation like has happened in the USA. If I were a young person starting out, Australia has as good or better prospects as anywhere in the world.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:12 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,880,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Australia benefits from a large mineral wealth divided among a small population...and they do spread that wealth around pretty well. Climate is fantastic in many areas. One nice advantage in my mind is the fact it's an island and hard for illegal immigrants to get there and flood the services of the nation like has happened in the USA. If I were a young person starting out, Australia has as good or better prospects as anywhere in the world.
If Australia manages itself, there is no reason why it cannot become a superpower.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:50 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,379,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I disagree, as soon as Australia develops the world appeal US has , illegal immigrants will come. When i was in Australia i was surprised as to how diverse it is. Not sure who is there legal or not, but the one thing i learned from Brazilians i met there was that is it way easier to immigrate to Australia than it is to the US

Old 09-05-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I disagree, as soon as Australia develops the world appeal US has , illegal immigrants will come. When i was in Australia i was surprised as to how diverse it is. Not sure who is there legal or not, but the one thing i learned from Brazilians i met there was that is it way easier to immigrate to Australia than it is to the US
I think the point is that it is more difficult for them to come. They either fly there, which immigration/custom can definitely control or they take a ship from Indonesia or New Guinea. The boat ride from there is long and arduous and there can be typhoons.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:09 PM

25 posts, read 24,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
If Australia manages itself, there is no reason why it cannot become a superpower.
I agree. It's got the requisite space and a great climate.

Do you think Canada has the potential to be a superpower too?

Old 09-05-2016, 08:26 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajputMaster24 View Post

In present tense, my answer would be : "Not a chance!"

If the question says, "Do you think Canada will/might have the potential to be a super power?" then, I would reply : "Maybe"

Old 09-05-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajputMaster24 View Post

Canada is poised to benefit the most from climate change.

They are already seeing the corn belt in the US migrate into Canada where the wheat belt once was.

Heck vegetables are being grown on Greenland now so it won't be long until Canada is a powerhouse agricultural nation.

Canada has more mineral resources than Australia. It has large sources of uranium (so does Australia), iron ore (so does Australia), oil sands, natural gas, offshore oil (so does Australia), forests (sorry Australia is severely lacking in this), hydroelectric plants, and abundant freshwater (Australia is lacking here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand