Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 05:56 AM

134 posts, read 191,898 times

Advertisements

Canada changed their flags in 1964/65, we never have, what are your views, is it a sign of immaturity????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 11:32 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
I don't think it is.

If anythingI thought the flag referendum here recently seemed a bit forced and not reflective of any real desire for change -it felt a bit like choosing wallpaper, and had a corporate rebranding vibe.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:56 PM

7 posts, read 12,408 times
I find the need to change the flag a ''false ideal''
The decision to keep the one we already have shows maturity and pride in what has been achieved under it's banner, unlike some countries that are so ashamed of their pasts they have to destroy any symbols of it.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:16 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOGGIE View Post
I find the need to change the flag a ''false ideal''
The decision to keep the one we already have shows maturity and pride in what has been achieved under it's banner, unlike some countries that are so ashamed of their pasts they have to destroy any symbols of it.
Really? Ask the Indigenous people of Australia how they feel about the achievements, the maturity and the pride of white supremacy under the banner of the British ensign.

In answer to the question, yes, I believe that Australia (and probably New Zealand) remains very immature as a nation. It will remain 'British' because Prince William, his wife Catherine, young son George, and young daughter Charlotte (and another damned 'royal' on the way) are, ahem ... 'cute'. Australians still love their 'royals'. They become giddy with excitement whenever these 'royal icons' visit the country and therefore allegiance to the monarchy (and the flag portraying the British ensign) is strengthened.

We would become a Republic tomorrow if I had anything to do with it and the flag would be changed to reflect this.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:47 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Really? Ask the Indigenous people of Australia how they feel about the achievements, the maturity and the pride of white supremacy under the banner of the British ensign.

In answer to the question, yes, I believe that Australia (and probably New Zealand) remains very immature as a nation. It will remain 'British' because Prince William, his wife Catherine, young son George, and young daughter Charlotte (and another damned 'royal' on the way) are, ahem ... 'cute'. Australians still love their 'royals'. They become giddy with excitement whenever these 'royal icons' visit the country and therefore allegiance to the monarchy (and the flag portraying the British ensign) is strengthened.

We would become a Republic tomorrow if I had anything to do with it and the flag would be changed to reflect this.
I wouldn't mind if Australia or Canada become republics (I'm Canadian), but you need to ask yourself the question of what impact that change is going to have. Other than a few things here and there with some name changes, the general functioning of the country is going to be the same.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:06 PM

321 posts, read 333,450 times
No, it goes to show their maturity and pride.

They reflect their close ties with Britain.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:05 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
Better to think your royal family is "cute" than slaughter them, like the French and Russian did during their respective revolutions.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:57 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Better to think your royal family is "cute" than slaughter them, like the French and Russian did during their respective revolutions.
Those events didn't happen in a vacuum though. The royal families were killed because they represented a link to the systems that were in place in those countries before revolution happened, tragic as they may be.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:25 PM

2,295 posts, read 1,515,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post

Sorry, but I think it is the media who get excited when royals visit. It is something to report. The crowds who turn out are tiny compared to years ago.
However the interest in Australia becoming a republic has certainly diminished in recent years. I do not see it as immaturity but as being practical. People are not convinced that there would be any practical advantage, some are fearful of the cost involved, some do not want change while the present Queen is still alive etc.
As for the Australian flag, many older people do not want it changed because it was the flag that the Anzacs fought and often died under, again many fear the cost of changing, many are happy that it seems to combine our history and geography.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:26 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,497,346 times
Personally i thnk the Royals are not much more than fodder for women's Magazines etc. They are more like Brad Pitt and Angelina jolie (when they were together), or any other celibrity couple
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand