Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 02:00 PM

266 posts, read 547,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
No, I don't remember that. We have sattellite TV with 500 stattions of crap that I never watch. With the invention of sat. TV, you'd think we could just dial up any station on the planet if we wanted to. I think I'd enjoy watching a station from Down Under now and then.
I think you can view some on uTube ... I did out of curiosity, but I don't think the whole shows. I could be wrong. Give it a try!

Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
What's a Tall Black? If you are referring to the rugby team.. that would the All Blacks. New Zealanders are commonly referred to as kiwis and Australians as aussies...
Tall Blacks is the NZ mens basketball team

Few other sports teams :

Kiwis = National mens Rugby League team and current World Champions ahhhh
White Ferns = National womens cricket team
Black Caps = National mens cricket team
Black sticks = National mens field hockey team
Silver Ferns = National womens netball team

Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey Ann View Post
I think you can view some on uTube ... I did out of curiosity, but I don't think the whole shows. I could be wrong. Give it a try!
you could start with McLeod's Daughters but don't go beyond season 4/5.. it gets crap at the end.. Its on youtube..

Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Tall Blacks is the NZ mens basketball team

Few other sports teams :

Kiwis = National mens Rugby League team and current World Champions ahhhh
White Ferns = National womens cricket team
Black Caps = National mens cricket team
Black sticks = National mens field hockey team
Silver Ferns = National womens netball team
I know I just wasn't sure if they were trying to refer to the All Blacks..
or if he was referring to Tall Blacks as a euphamism for all kiwis..

Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
you could start with McLeod's Daughters but don't go beyond season 4/5.. it gets crap at the end.. Its on youtube..
Mcleods daughters is on the Hallmark Channel in the USA. I never really could get into it, but always appreciated the scenery.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Mcleods daughters is on the Hallmark Channel in the USA. I never really could get into it, but always appreciated the scenery.
Nice if you have the Hallmark channel...
Its filmed close to Gawler, SA and I know the area quite well.. so I tune in on youtube once in a while to see SA.. and I'm reminded what a pretty state it is..

Old 03-05-2009, 06:15 AM

339 posts, read 1,169,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey Ann View Post
Would anyone here say they think of New York as more European than American?
American through and through! That said, NY is a world unto itself. It was SO different from the rest of the US - I was totally gobsmacked. Manhattan could almost be its own separate country. I didn't see it as one big city but a collection of 'villages'.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
American through and through! That said, NY is a world unto itself. It was SO different from the rest of the US - I was totally gobsmacked. Manhattan could almost be its own separate country. I didn't see it as one big city but a collection of 'villages'.
A collection of villages - good description. I think accurate.
I have been told by foreigners who visited NYC on vacation that to them it has more of a european feel than American. I disagreed. I felt they were reading into it what they wanted, but I could have been wrong. However, thinking more on the subject and recently spending more and more time in the City and talking to foreigners who are living there (as well as living in NJ but spending lots of time in NYC), I see that is not the case. It is very American - metropolitan - very ethnically diverse which the same is true of all of the U.S., in my opinion - I've spent significant time in the southeast, northeast, midwest - lots of time in Texas. So the question is: what is American? or for that matter, having respect for the thread I am in, what is Australian? NZ? Aren't all 3 ethnically diverse?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:35 AM

I think older Australians appreciate Americans more.. due to the help received during WWII... younger Aussies may hate the former government of Bush but don't necessarily hate Americans. American programming is so commonplace in Aussie television and coverage of US politics and news is common in the media so they are well versed on the US. Many would like to come visit or even live for a spell in the US, not too many hate Americans. The rare few that I know that dislike Americans just think of the stereotype -- loud and arrogant.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I think older Australians appreciate Americans more.. due to the help received during WWII... younger Aussies may hate the former government of Bush but don't necessarily hate Americans. American programming is so commonplace in Aussie television and coverage of US politics and news is common in the media so they are well versed on the US. Many would like to come visit or even live for a spell in the US, not too many hate Americans. The rare few that I know that dislike Americans just think of the stereotype -- loud and arrogant.
Loud and arrogant ... well that could be anyone from any country. We all have 'em! Hmmm, I've known to be loud ... I don't think arrogant though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand