Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:39 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

What things: customs, features of the landscape, well-loved businesses or names are endemic to your city?

Here in Perth, we have Miss Mauds, which is well-known Swedish bakery/restaurant/hotel. A lot of the food isn't really Swedish, but I've eaten many a baked good for Miss Maud and eaten at the restaurant many times.

We don't really have any West Aussie cuisine as far as I know, but we seem to like chicken in the west. Both Chicken Treat (not sure if CT is WA only, I don't think I've seen it anywhere else) and Red Rooster were founded in the Armadale area in the early 1970s.

Someone said having 'Sunday sessons' was a WA-only thing, but I'm kinda skeptical about that one, seeing how much we all love to drink!

Anyway, I thought I could think of more, but I guess maybe we're not as unique as we like to think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 06:35 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
We don't really have any West Aussie cuisine as far as I know
I've been told Chili Mussels is a W.A. specific dish. I only ever came across them here. They'd be vastly improved with a couple of thick slices of good, crusty artisan bread though. Weird thing about restaurants here, charging you for bread, if they even have any. Especially weird when you're eating something that just cries out for some good bread to sop up the juices. Like Chili Mussels. I don't order them anymore, because they don't come with bread. Sorry, it's just wrong.

As far as other W.A. specific dishes, we're such a young state in a young country, full of people from all over the world. One thing going for this place is the variety of locally grown and produced foods - fruit, veg, fish, meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Someone said having 'Sunday sessons' was a WA-only thing, but I'm kinda skeptical about that one, seeing how much we all love to drink!
Yeah, what's so special about Sundays anyway? People here drink every day of the week. I'd say Fridays are bigger on drinking than Sundays. If you ever work late in the city and walk to the train station, every watering hole you pass by is chock-a-block full of very loud people well on the way to becoming inebriated.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:08 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,904 times
Hmmm.... Whats so different about Perth ?
Well the sun sets over the ocean on the west coast
Perth has very wet winters (800mm in about 4 months)
Perth has a very large U.K immigrant population
Were isolated, once you drive out of perth its 2000kl to the next traffic light?
Were very patriotic in the Perth, we view the east coast as another country
Stunning beaches are really only 15 minutes from the CDB (Sydneys traffic doesn't really permit this)
In Perth where in bed at 6 pm. Well we should be, that's the time everything closes over here

Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
... the sun sets over the ocean on the west coast
Stunning beaches are really only 15 minutes from the CDB (Sydneys traffic doesn't really permit this)
In Perth where in bed at 6 pm. Well we should be, that's the time everything closes over here
Something particularly special and right about the sun setting over the ocean though, isn't there? Just makes you want to stop and watch it set, down to that last pinpoint of burning orange light. The way it shimmers and shines. And if there are a few tufts of fluffy clouds about they're all psychedelic in colour ... sigh!

Yes, stunning beaches alright. So many of them, too. Uncrowded, clean, warm water where you don't have to psyche yourself up to go into, it's so pleasantly warm for much of the year. And year-round dog beaches as well as year-round horse beaches.

Yup, everything closes up tight here, quite early. Except, strangely enough, bottle-shops. 9am-9pm 7 days a week. Not so easy or convenient buying other things. Bizarre.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:07 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
Clouds, Rain, cold, freezing cold beaches, Former Lord Mayor who can't speak english, Current Mayor who hates bogans and rednecks, highest observation deck in southern hemisphere.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:29 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,351,000 times
Sydney's Harbour. Beaches. Bronte to Bondi coastal walk. Opera House. Harbour Bridge. The Rocks. Centennial Park. Double decker trains. Fast bus drivers. People bumping into each other. Homeless begging for money on very busy streets. Getting talked to by strangers. Friendly. Drunk people on Friday and Saturday nights. Aptly named Rooty Hill train station. Blue Mountains. Horns being honked all the time. Traffic jams. People pouring out of city train stations work Monday to Friday. Kings Cross. Newtown. Paddington. Darlinghurst. Double Bay. Point Piper. Darling Point. My mate's place right next to Bondi Beach. The heavy (and at times flooding) downpours.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Sydney's Harbour. Beaches. Bronte to Bondi coastal walk. Opera House. Harbour Bridge. The Rocks. Centennial Park. Double decker trains. Fast bus drivers. People bumping into each other. Homeless begging for money on very busy streets. Getting talked to by strangers. Friendly. Drunk people on Friday and Saturday nights. Aptly named Rooty Hill train station. Blue Mountains. Horns being honked all the time. Traffic jams. People pouring out of city train stations work Monday to Friday. Kings Cross. Newtown. Paddington. Darlinghurst. Double Bay. Point Piper. Darling Point. My mate's place right next to Bondi Beach. The heavy (and at times flooding) downpours.
A lot of those are, unfortunately, not just unique to Sydney lol.

But I think many Aussies have a love/hate relationship with Sydney, who is like the fawning peacock of the family. It has a ridiculous amount of natural and other assets, enough for several cities at least, yet there's an soullessness about the place, a lack of a centre.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Hook turns.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,021,405 times
Adelaide:

You will constantly be told that SA was not a convict state.
Farmers Union Ice Coffee
Balfours Frogs
Pie Floaters (SA Heritage listed
Coopers Beer
Holden Commodores and Utes (made locally and Holden started out in Adelaide)
Film locations for McLeod's is towards Gawler, an exurb/suburb of the city
Early minute (Jacqs got lots of those)
Stobie poles
Wine wine wine not just Jacobs Creek and Penfolds
Adelaide accent
It was never settled by convicts (for emphasis)
did I mention the convict thing?

Old 04-22-2009, 08:05 PM

^ I took the train up to Gawler and it's kind of a weird looking place, like a strip of suburbia next to a very dry looking paddock. The place itself reminded me of Midland or Guildford, actually.

I didn't get to try a Balfours frog or a pie floater...What's an early minute and a stobie pole?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand