Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 12:52 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times

Advertisements

Here's the link:

http://www.branz.co.nz/cms_show_download.php?id=142

It seems that the average Kiwi home goes up and down 4-5 C throughout a typical summers day, with a range between 18-23 C. People in the study are concerned about average indoor temps passing 25 C, (too warm?) newer homes keep getting "warmer," and most Kiwi's don't use (much?) air conditioning at the present time, they worry that with a potential climate change of +2 C average summer temps it will place a huge demand on electicity.

Aside from myself learning that my indoor preferences are probably 5 C higher than the average Kiwi, it was interesting to read about how home construction differed (sp?) between decades. Anyone interested in relocating to NZ and are curious about home construction might like this paper. For myself, it'd be interesting to discover how Aussie homes would compare?

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-26-2009 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 12:56 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,741,555 times
New Zealand homes are renowned for their poor insulation. Hot in summer, miserably cold and damp in the winter.

Old 11-26-2009, 05:18 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Sounds like my experience in Oz too.

I didn't read through the paper but the first page did mention design factors like larger windows and reduced eaves. I see quite a few houses around where I live, of the pseudo-Tuscan style, with no eaves and black tile roofs. Big single-paned windows for the views and light. And those walls are uninsulated too. Sorry, I don't buy the "airspace between the double-brick being a natural insulator" BS. All I have to do is touch my walls during winter - ice-cold, and during summer - hot, to know that line is full of hooey. In Vancouver, the house we bought had a small addition on the front, built rather cheaply with no wall insulation. That room was like a fridge, despite the heating vents. We insulated the walls and no more fridge.

Probably the better Aussie house designs were the old styles with the bullnosed wraparound verandahs that shaded the outside walls from the sun. But that design is viewed as quite old-fashioned. I like them.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Sounds like my experience in Oz too.

I didn't read through the paper but the first page did mention design factors like larger windows and reduced eaves. I see quite a few houses around where I live, of the pseudo-Tuscan style, with no eaves and black tile roofs. Big single-paned windows for the views and light. And those walls are uninsulated too. Sorry, I don't buy the "airspace between the double-brick being a natural insulator" BS. All I have to do is touch my walls during winter - ice-cold, and during summer - hot, to know that line is full of hooey. In Vancouver, the house we bought had a small addition on the front, built rather cheaply with no wall insulation. That room was like a fridge, despite the heating vents. We insulated the walls and no more fridge.

Probably the better Aussie house designs were the old styles with the bullnosed wraparound verandahs that shaded the outside walls from the sun. But that design is viewed as quite old-fashioned. I like them.
Black-tiled rooves in Perth?
I cannot fathom why that wouldn't be just a one-off; since imho, it can be ridiculous how colours, especially dark colours collect heat on a clear day pushing 30+ C. If the roof gets hot, and there is no shade, having the roof of a mostly-reflective surface (light-coloured?) would be the next best thing. I have seen quite a few "white-on-white" homes from pics around Queensland, and I think they look stunning.

Same thing about the bull-nosed wraparound porchs. I love the pics I've seen of historic homes with huge porches, but why that would go out of style is also confusing? People who hate the "old-fashioned" porches must be indifferent to $500+/mth A/C bills.

I heard somewhere that costs to provide passive cooling (screeing or creating shade) are 16 times cheaper than using A/C in a place like Phoenix, AZ. Granted, building materials are probably more expensive Down Under, but it would still probably pay for itself after a few years.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 11-26-2009 at 07:48 PM..

Old 11-26-2009, 08:52 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Black-tiled rooves in Perth?
Yes, , is my reaction too. I suppose it's a design thing but who can understand designers anyway? No eaves is also odd to me. And ugly. Makes the house look so boxy. But again, it's likely one of those design things.

Quote:
I have seen quite a few "white-on-white" homes from pics around Queensland, and I think they look stunning.
Yes, the Queenslander architectural style of house is stunning, and very practical.

Quote:
Same thing about the bull-nosed wraparound porchs. I love the pics I've seen of historic homes with huge porches, but why that would go out of style is also confusing?
It's called Federation Style here. I really like that look of house. Some houses built in the 80's and early 90's were built in Federation Style, back when block (lot) sizes were bigger. These days, with recent block sizes being in the 400sqm range, a wraparound verandah would take up too much footprint. The outer, outer suburbs have more Federation Style houses with verandahs, as their block are still fairly large.

Quote:
People who hate the "old-fashioned" porches must be indifferent to $500+/mth A/C bills.
Well, when our power bills go up, with the ETS we're almost guaranteed to get, most people will be compensated by the govt. With many people getting more compensation than they'll actually pay out in increased power bills. So no worries, mate.

But then I see a lot of money here in Perth. I often wonder where it comes from but we certainly don't have many visible down-and-outers here. Most cars are new. Loads of 4WDs. Loads of boats, not enough boatpens and docks for them. Restaurants often full even on weekdays. Shopping centres busy all the time.

Last edited by Vichel; 11-26-2009 at 09:31 PM..

Old 11-26-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yes, , is my reaction too. I suppose it's a design thing but who can understand designers anyway? No eaves is also odd to me. And ugly. Makes the house look so boxy. But again, it's likely one of those design things.
Your comment about lots of money probably explains part of it. (not worried about the bill). Me, I'd prefer to not hear the fans blowing all the time, plus I prefer more even temps throughout the house.

Quote:
Yes, the Queenslander architectural style of house is stunning, and very practical.
Actually, this one wasn't a Queenslander. It looked like the Spanish/Californian style with stucco and a clay-tile roof, but it was painted "white-on-white." Seems smart; if you can't have a tree shading the roof, why not have a light coloured roof instead?

Quote:
It's called Federation Style here. I really like that look of house. Some houses built in the 80's and early 90's were built in Federation Style, back when block (lot) sizes were bigger. These days, with recent block sizes being in the 400sqm range, a wraparound verandah would take up too much footprint. The outer, outer suburbs have more Federation Style houses with verandahs, as their block are still fairly large.
If I ever visit/move there, I'll keep my eyes out for them.
For tropical desert areas, I was thinking having a verandah as wide as the wall is tall would be smart;
with high sun that'd make shade all the way to the floor, but not block low sun.

Quote:
Well, when our power bills go up, with the ETS we're almost guaranteed to get, most people will be compensated by the govt. With many people getting more compensation than they'll actually pay out in increased power bills. So no worries, mate.
That probably partially explains why your taxes are so high.
(maybe equal to Canada, but remember we spend A LOT of tax on ice & snow removal )
We rarely get compensated in Canada for higher energy costs.

Quote:
But then I see a lot of money here in Perth. I often wonder where it comes from but we certainly don't have many visible down-and-outers here. Most cars are new. Loads of 4WDs. Loads of boats, not enough boatpens and docks for them. Restaurants often full even on weekdays. Shopping centres busy all the time.
I'll probably stick out then, in more ways then one.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:07 PM

One thing I found peculiar of the 4-5 C difference between day and night indoors,
is that most of NZ seems to get less than 10 C difference outdoors between day and night.

Where I live, if we had a day like Aukland's summer average 23/16 C with 7 hours of sun,
our house without heat or A/C would probably only go up and down only 1-1.5 C in 24 hrs.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:25 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Kiwis complaining about the heat? ha!

During hot weather come houses in Perth feel like ovens. Say on a 40 degree day it can get over 30 C in doors. Nowhere in NZ is regularly hot in summer, and heatwaves are rare (come on, an extreme maximum of 32C on Auckland and 30.6 in Wellington?).

Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 PM

5,054 posts, read 6,899,491 times
By NZ standards it's very hot LOL

Auckland is their Cairns, Wellington their Sydney, Christchurch their Melbourne and Invercargill their Hobart

Old 11-28-2009, 09:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Invercargill and Dunedin average a high of 18.9 and 18.6 in January respectively. Remember them before you complain about Melbourne summer, SAB, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand