Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:31 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,957,160 times

Advertisements

The recession we had to have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHJErIkKp-U

This is the edited version.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 12-22-2009 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 08:52 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,904,686 times
Nice find Roo!

I miss Ol' Silver. Probably just as useless as all of them but at least he was funny!

Still reckon watching him that morning we whooped the Yanks off Newport is one of the best "political" moments from a Prime Minister in this country EVER!!!

It's in here somewhere....around the 00:20 mark....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZmg3ZqOdhM

Old 12-22-2009, 11:56 AM

Haha Yeah, That was Bob at his larrakin best. It was really Bob's personality that got him through his time as PM.

I miss that sort of political satire on Australian TV. Peter Nicholson is a genius.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 12-22-2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 12:14 PM

Well you know roo, it's all been cleansed now so as not to offend anyone.

And it's becoming increasingly apparent being "Aussie" with a larrakin streak is bad and we all have to pretend we're something else. I'm not surprised we don't see things like this on the tele anymore. I suspect we're all supposed to become a bunch of latte' sipping, pseudo intellectual wankers who are far too high brow for that kind of comedy.

Bob was really something. I struggle to define or accurately describe him but he was more colourful than these washed out, straight laced Sunday School types we're dealing with now.

I can barely tolerate watching any politician no matter what their politics but Bob was always entertaining whether you agreed with him or not. A real character. Sadly something we'll see less and less of as we're all assimilated.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:19 PM

I think you suspect right? It's all abit sad really. We're loosing our 'larrikinism' humour and many of our other national traits, just so we don't offended anybody....even though no-one was offended in the first place!

On the other hand, Bob was definately a character and few countries can claim to have a PM, who once held the world speed record for drinking a yard glass.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 12-22-2009 at 02:43 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 02:36 PM

I agree! It makes me want to protest by becoming some crazy caricature hybrid of Kath and Kim/Sharon/Effie/Hoges et al just to hang on to a little part of who we are for as long as possible.

I don't understand why people are ashamed or embarrassed by this part of our collective psyche. It is who we are and there's nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about it. I don't know why we don't revel in it.

I mean c'mon, Aussie c'mon!! He actually HELD the record! Not just imbibed too much and then hid it, like so many world leaders do.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:15 PM

Haha. That could be either the most Aussie thing in the world....Or simply the creepiest thing ever.

I don't understand it either, but Australian society has always been like that. There's the bourgeois element..who constantly want better, and the Larrikin element..who is happy with their current place. It's probably a left over from when we were either Officers or Convicts?

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 12-22-2009 at 03:46 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 03:15 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,825 times
Is it just me, or does every single nation on this planet have more charismatic politicians than Oddstralia? I must admit, I cant relate to the 'typical Aussie' mentality, but it does seem an age since anyone with any character was a part of 'strayan politics.
Alexander DOWNer used to live near us in Deadalaide. The fact that he's from there says it all really. *shudder*

Old 12-22-2009, 03:17 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well you know roo, it's all been cleansed now so as not to offend anyone.

And it's becoming increasingly apparent being "Aussie" with a larrakin streak is bad and we all have to pretend we're something else. I'm not surprised we don't see things like this on the tele anymore. I suspect we're all supposed to become a bunch of latte' sipping, pseudo intellectual wankers who are far too high brow for that kind of comedy.

Bob was always entertaining whether you agreed with him or not. A real character. Sadly something we'll see less and less of as we're all assimilated.
Sounds like the kind of 'Australia' juddrox was hoping for.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:25 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I agree! It makes me want to protest by becoming some crazy caricature hybrid of Kath and Kim/Sharon/Effie/Hoges et al just to hang on to a little part of who we are for as long as possible.

I don't understand why people are ashamed or embarrassed by this part of our collective psyche. It is who we are and there's nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about it. I don't know why we don't revel in it.
^^

Imho, 'larrikinism' is one of the endearing qualities that helps Australia be recognised as more than just a dusty rock "girt by the sea."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand