Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:17 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,818,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
It's true, that WA is fairly safe to "test" markets and also to look at branching out into other markets. As In the case of Red Rooster, the Kallis family were already well known WA Fishmongers and were pretty safe if the business failed.
Was Fishmonger's the name of an actual restaurant?
I think I learned in English class that that was a Shakespearean term for either a brothel, or a pimp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 06:32 AM

656 posts, read 2,743,382 times
Well I always thought that Australia's big fast food chains developed in Perth
because the competition took so long to get here e.g Maca's, HJ's, KFC

But in fact Hungry jacks (Why isn't it called Burger King?) opened its first store in Australia in Perth, Innaloo of all places in 1971
KFC was here in 1969 (Sydney 1968) but I'm pretty sure Mcdonalds didn't arrive in Perth till very late, but I could be wrong?
Remembering its first store opened in Sydney in 1971

Talking about getting things late here in Perth
We have still yet to get our first Starbucks. Probably the only place on the Planet not to have one. After Starbucks
closed so many stores in the eastern states (Gloria Jeans dominates Australia) It doesn't look like we will be getting one soon

Old 01-11-2010, 06:53 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,957,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Was Fishmonger's the name of an actual restaurant?
I think I learned in English class that that was a Shakespearean term for either a brothel, or a pimp.
LOL That's "Fleshmonger". An old euphemism for Pimp

A "Fishmonger", is someone who sells fish and Kailis Bros own a big fish market here.

They're called Hungry Jack's. Because a Burger bar in Adelaide already trademarked the "Burger King" name, so BK had to come up with a different one for their Australian subsidiary.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 01-11-2010 at 07:33 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 05:44 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post

We have still yet to get our first Starbucks. Probably the only place on the Planet not to have one. After Starbucks
closed so many stores in the eastern states (Gloria Jeans dominates Australia) It doesn't look like we will be getting one soon
Lucky Perth....

Perth had that coffee chain...starts with a 'D' I think....

I thought all the chicken places were funny,we made a joke out of it...

Yelling 'Chicken Treat' or 'Red Rooster' as we drove by.Never ate at one however.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,087,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
Well I always thought that Australia's big fast food chains developed in Perth
because the competition took so long to get here e.g Maca's, HJ's, KFC

But in fact Hungry jacks (Why isn't it called Burger King?) opened its first store in Australia in Perth, Innaloo of all places in 1971
KFC was here in 1969 (Sydney 1968) but I'm pretty sure Mcdonalds didn't arrive in Perth till very late, but I could be wrong?
Remembering its first store opened in Sydney in 1971

I don't think any Perthites miss Starbucks, we already have such a wide variety of places to get a good bean here, why another globalised franchise?

We got our first taste of the Golden arches in 1982, apparently McDonald's Jobs - job search, employment information and career advice at careerone.com.au. Speaking of Cinema City, I'm sad to see it go. Although I probably only saw two films there, it looked really cool with it's high glass mirrored ceiling.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,957,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Lucky Perth....

Perth had that coffee chain...starts with a 'D' I think....

I thought all the chicken places were funny,we made a joke out of it...

Yelling 'Chicken Treat' or 'Red Rooster' as we drove by.Never ate at one however.
Dome

Dome

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 03-10-2010 at 06:14 AM..

Old 03-10-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Dome

Dome
Thanks.

I think the only one we went in was at the airport...we tried to stay away from chains and eating out much in general as we were with family.

If home/land prices weren't outrageous(and we didn't have property here) I would give serious thought to returning to live permanently.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:19 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,731,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't think any Perthites miss Starbucks, we already have such a wide variety of places to get a good bean here, why another globalised franchise?
This Perthite misses Starbucks . It's a totally different coffee though, that's available in the Starbucks in the US and Canada. So I don't think it would make it here, in it's original form. The filtered black coffee that you add sugar and half-and-half to yourself is just not the way Australians have their coffee. That's the coffee I prefer for my morning wake-up juice. Especially since it costs less than $2!

Here, it's all made through an espresso machine, there's no big carafes of filtered coffee. So it's just different. Apples and Oranges. Twice the price, and not enough caffeine for me We make our own "Starbucks-style" at home, grinding the beans - the famous local ReStore's own blend is great (Braziliano - Gran Bar Aroma). Thank God for ReStore - my favourite shop in Perth!

Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 AM

Speaking of coffee,we about DIED seeing the price of coffee in the grocery stores...and it took a few days to work out how to make it right.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:47 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,731,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Speaking of coffee,we about DIED seeing the price of coffee in the grocery stores...and it took a few days to work out how to make it right.
LOL! Welcome to Perth! Yeah, coffee is ridiculously priced but it's because it's just differently made - each cup is individually made through the machine versus a big carafe of filtered coffee that's made once and can serve several patrons. Hence, the high cost of labour comes into play. It's just not the same.

Hubby and I would get a couple of coffees and share a blueberry scone (with free butter) at the Starbucks in San Diego and we'd get change back from a fiver. You'd need double that here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand