Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:31 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
I never really used to complain about the the higher cost of living on the west cost Vichel because at least our rent was cheap and our house prices was low compared to places like Sydney. But after the real estate boom in Perth this has all changed.
Exactly - you had more left over after paying the rent or mortgage for everything else that was a bit more expensive back then. Now, the rent and mortgage takes a huge chunk out of your take-home pay plus everything else is quite a bit more expensive. I find meat and fish has increased substantially here in W.A. Not just a bit more expensive than the east, a lot more! So Perth's scared us off as a place to retire in. It'd be a case of our monthly income going all to basic living costs, and just existing here, not living.

Quote:
I shouldn't be so bitter. I had a chance to buy into real estate here before the boom. But I didn't want to be tied down just yet Big mistake!
Now 6 years down the track, like all the newly weds I have been totally priced out of the real estate market here for good. You need almost $800 000 these days to get something decent.
I feel for you. Coz I see my two kids, who are in their early 20's, as being SOL when it comes to buying here. When we first moved to Perth, it seemed like they would have that opportunity here. Not anymore.

Quote:
People here tell me the real estate market will come back. But I don't believe it will. Do not under estimate the sheer will of Australian Moms and Dads to invest in real estate market down here. Its the Great Australian Obsession.
When I lived in Vancouver, it seemed that people just came to accept, very quickly, that they were priced out of the real estate market beginning in the mid 90's. And were complacent to just rent. Here, there's a real fight against that, we're not as accepting of that fate. Like you said, it's an Obsession. I suppose because we've had such high rates of home ownership all along, due to cheap real estate prices, until just very recently. I know a lot of people in their 40's and 50's who bought their first homes when they were in their early 20's, some still living at home, and they owned them outright well before their 30th birthdays. Some even had two paid-for houses before they were 30. On average salaries. Those days are gone and it's hard to swallow I suppose.

Quote:
The average Australian house price in the capital cities is about $500 000. Like the chinese real estate market, I believe this real estate bubble has only just begun
It doesn't help with the "land shortage" here in W.A. Had to laugh when I read that article in the paper this morning. I'm sure that keeps the prices up there. The other annoying thing is that the few smaller cities/big towns (with employment opportunities) that we have here in Oz are not much cheaper for housing. Some are even more expensive, like the mining towns in the northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 09:29 PM

656 posts, read 2,742,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Exactly - you had more left over after paying the rent or mortgage for everything else that was a bit more expensive back then. Now, the rent and mortgage takes a huge chunk out of your take-home pay plus everything else is quite a bit more expensive. I find meat and fish has increased substantially here in W.A. Not just a bit more expensive than the east, a lot more! So Perth's scared us off as a place to retire in. It'd be a case of our monthly income going all to basic living costs, and just existing here, not living.

I feel for you. Coz I see my two kids, who are in their early 20's, as being SOL when it comes to buying here. When we first moved to Perth, it seemed like they would have that opportunity here. Not anymore.

When I lived in Vancouver, it seemed that people just came to accept, very quickly, that they were priced out of the real estate market beginning in the mid 90's. And were complacent to just rent. Here, there's a real fight against that, we're not as accepting of that fate. Like you said, it's an Obsession. I suppose because we've had such high rates of home ownership all along, due to cheap real estate prices, until just very recently. I know a lot of people in their 40's and 50's who bought their first homes when they were in their early 20's, some still living at home, and they owned them outright well before their 30th birthdays. Some even had two paid-for houses before they were 30. On average salaries. Those days are gone and it's hard to swallow I suppose.

It doesn't help with the "land shortage" here in W.A. Had to laugh when I read that article in the paper this morning. I'm sure that keeps the prices up there. The other annoying thing is that the few smaller cities/big towns (with employment opportunities) that we have here in Oz are not much cheaper for housing. Some are even more expensive, like the mining towns in the northwest.
Vichel I really feel the younger generation have really been screwed over in this country. For them there is no were to go. Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Brisbane are all very expensive to Buy and Rent. They have a really long hard life ahead of them, at least 50 years to pay off a mortgage In all honesty I think if your young and you have a degree in this country. Meaning it wouldn't be to hard for you to get duel citizenship with a country like the U.S. You would be much better off leaving this country and going there. I know unemployment is bad over there, but I think the U.S economy will eventually turn around. At least in the U.S there are still cities that don't need half a million big ones to buy property. Your life would be a lot easier over there in the long run

Oh and land shortages in Perth ... makes you laugh doesn't it
Perth is only surrounded by about a 1000 square miles of open scrub
I think it all about politicians protecting their own personal real estate investments...well thats my theory

Old 03-10-2010, 02:05 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,296 times
Quote:
Oh and land shortages in Perth ... makes you laugh doesn't it
Perth is only surrounded by about a 1000 square miles of open scrub
I think it all about politicians protecting their own personal real estate investments...well thats my theory
It's all a rort, isn't it?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:17 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
something's gotta give -

we're somewhere between 20%-50% over valued ....(from what i have read)

I'm glad I bought a house young - before the boom in Melbourne (didn't travel etc, when all my friends were off doing that)

Now ... I can afford to travel & have a property.

Unfortunately a lot of people I know are struggling to find something that isn't 45km out of the city for a reasonable price ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand