Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 08:53 AM

11 posts, read 22,091 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are Canadians moving to Mexico in March for a few months.

What we would like to do is to travel the world say 6 months at a time. It appears as though we would be eligible for a 12 month tourist visa with one possible exception.

Our business is run 100% online and I generate income from all over the world. I would have to run my business while in Australia but would not be working IN Australia.

We are over 30 so no working holiday Visas.

I would not have the money in the bank for all of our living expenses while we were there and would have to continue working my business but again - not taking away jobs from Australians.

Would this be ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 09:17 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
I don't see how they could get you. You don't have an IRD number (and can't have mine.. LOL).
Just be forewarned broadband in Oz is expensive and free wi-fi access may not be as readily available, even in urban areas. I paid $95 a month for DSL access through Telstra (avoid) and only got 10gig a month. I pay half that in the US and I have faster AND unlimited access. I no long watch my useage meter like a hawk seeking prey.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:47 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,682,121 times
I think it's rather ambiguous and personally I don't see the issue. Sometimes best just to let sleeping dogs lay

You said though you would not have your living expenses banked when you arrived in country and that is the one thing I would worry about. IRC you can only stay in Australia for 3 months at a time on a tourist visa, but if you come into the country for that long they might quiz you on your finances and how you plan to survive.

Just a heads up as it has happened to friends of mine coming in for long stays.

I find Australian Immigration to be rather thorough(which is fine).

Old 02-28-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I think it's rather ambiguous and personally I don't see the issue. Sometimes best just to let sleeping dogs lay

You said though you would not have your living expenses banked when you arrived in country and that is the one thing I would worry about. IRC you can only stay in Australia for 3 months at a time on a tourist visa, but if you come into the country for that long they might quiz you on your finances and how you plan to survive.

Just a heads up as it has happened to friends of mine coming in for long stays.

I find Australian Immigration to be rather thorough(which is fine).
True, probably best to spend 3 months in Oz, then in NZ (and learn how to pronounce Aotearoa) and vice-versa. Though I would check.. one can get a 6 month visitor visa valid for a 6 month stay in a 12 month period. So half in NZ and half in Oz.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:35 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I don't see how they could get you. You don't have an IRD number (and can't have mine.. LOL).
Just be forewarned broadband in Oz is expensive and free wi-fi access may not be as readily available, even in urban areas. I paid $95 a month for DSL access through Telstra (avoid) and only got 10gig a month. I pay half that in the US and I have faster AND unlimited access. I no long watch my useage meter like a hawk seeking prey.
These days any good internet providor should give you unlimted ADSL 2+ access for $50 per month, thats what i have anyway!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
These days any good internet providor should give you unlimted ADSL 2+ access for $50 per month, thats what i have anyway!
this was 2007 and I had Telstra! It was 90-95 including the phone line (basic plan) and I only got 10gig!
Best part they charged me 250 for the dsl modem!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand