Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:52 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

I notice a lot of Australians dismiss the US as an interesting tourist destination because they think the culture is shallow and plastic, and it's too similar to Australia. I think that's true to an extent, but I also think America has such a rich cultural history, especially in the 20th century. I myself am most interested in 20th century pop culture so in many ways the history of the 1950s, Rock'n'Roll, Civil Rights is more fascinating than the history of Ancient Greece or the Middle Ages, even if they are interesting too. I feel the 20th century is more relevant, and the events of American history in the 20th century still reverberate. As fascinating as the ancient world was, I can't directly relate to it.

Anyone, I notice most would choose Europe first over North America because of it's longer history, culture, old buildings, diversity etc - of course it does have many things the US - just one country - lacks, but while Europe would come close, if I had to choose I would visit the United States, since I've been wanting to go there since forever. I know in some ways I'll be disappointed but overall I think I'll get a lot of what I bargain for.

What is your personal opinion on this? Do you notice a lot of people who are dismissive of the US as a place to visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 09:02 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Not dismiss but I would say the US was never top of my list. Europe always came first.

There's a few reasons for this for me.

Firstly it's usually at least $1000 for a trip to either destination and whilst the US is multicultural it is still one country whereas with Europe for the ticket price you can see many countries, experience many different cultures, languages AND a greater diversity.

Secondly I have ancestors in Europe but not in the US. Sure we are similiar culturally to the US but I can't go hunting around the US for the house my ancestors used to live in or see the towns where they came from. That interests me so again I choose Europe.

I do think for a lot of Australians Europe is the first choice because it's about ties that bind, and knowing your heritage and the fact is, although we do have American immigrants we have a whole lot more from Europe.

All that said, I'm really glad I got to go to the US last year and I'm looking forward to going again and the culture is very similar in a lot of ways but there's lots of things I'm really looking forward to seeing and experiencing.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:07 PM

^ Actually I have the impression a holiday in Europe would be more expensive, especially in countries like the UK, Sweden, Switzerland. The food, accommodation etc would be more expensive. Is doing Europe on the cheap easier or harder than the US?

Old 04-06-2009, 09:17 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
As an American for whom this thread just leaped out on the page, I find it disheartening that some Australians feel America's "shallow and plastic" culture is too much like Australia. I've never visited south of the equator but I've always pictured it as being better than here, or at least a place where I'd smile a lot! America--sans the influence of the mass media--is indeed diverse geographically and culturally and I'll bet THAT feature isn't much different from country to country. This is a grand planet we live on. But America is a caricature, a Potemkin village, a stage set manufactured by ghoulish corporations to give off the illusion of a country that has come of age, a country that is free. "My, ain't it grand to be number one!" If you're going to visit, visit soon because it's going away fast. None of us here can stop it from devolving into ... I can't find the words, but, trust me, it won't be a place to visit. Sorry if I interjected anything inappropriate.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
As an American for whom this thread just leaped out on the page, I find it disheartening that some Australians feel America's "shallow and plastic" culture is too much like Australia. I've never visited south of the equator but I've always pictured it as being better than here, or at least a place where I'd smile a lot! America--sans the influence of the mass media--is indeed diverse geographically and culturally and I'll bet THAT feature isn't much different from country to country. This is a grand planet we live on. But America is a caricature, a Potemkin village, a stage set manufactured by ghoulish corporations to give off the illusion of a country that has come of age, a country that is free. "My, ain't it grand to be number one!" If you're going to visit, visit soon because it's going away fast. None of us here can stop it from devolving into ... I can't find the words, but, trust me, it won't be a place to visit. Sorry if I interjected anything inappropriate.
Even if it's culture was totally boring, I would still want to visit for it's stunning natural beauty - hell, most places on earth have areas of stunning beauty. Australia is great, but, as a patriotic Aussie who loves our wilderness, it doesn't compare to the grandeur of the Rockies or the prettiness of New England.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 PM

339 posts, read 1,169,175 times
My guess is that for many young Aussies (and Kiwis) there is the opportunity to go and work in London and earn some money in order to travel - and Europe is the logical choice. You get a heck of a lot more 'bang for your buck' in terms of the number of countries you can tick off your list...you could cover a dozen countries in Europe or a few states of the US. Since the US has no working visa program comparable to the UK for young antipodeans, and trip to the US is usually to the US alone (perhaps throw in Canada or Mexico) so people don't see it as worthwhile given the distance you have to travel.

Most of my kiwi friends have have either lived in London at some stage, or are living in London now, and it seems most spend their traveling time in western & eastern Europe, Russia, north Africa and often a stint in SE Asia on the way home. The US doesn't usually figure in. Also, it isn't considered exotic and for a lot of my friends the more exotic and unusual a place is, the better. The people I do know who've been to the US usually restrict it to SF, LA or NY (SF & LA as they are a stopovers and NY because it's relatively close to London).

I have been to the US twice and Europe once. I have to say that while I really enjoyed visiting the US, the only reason I've been there is because my husband has family there. If that was not the case, it's highly unlikely that I would've made the trips. And if I had gone, it's highly unlikely I would've been to places such as Missouri, Arizona & Nevada!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,901,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Actually I have the impression a holiday in Europe would be more expensive, especially in countries like the UK, Sweden, Switzerland. The food, accommodation etc would be more expensive. Is doing Europe on the cheap easier or harder than the US?
Oh it's more expensive alright but I went to Europe 12 years ago back-packing and was fortunate enough to get to the US last year before the Aussie dollar nosedived so I was "lucky" with both trips in terms of money and expenses. I'm comparing then and now though. Back then I got cheaper tickets to Europe and travelling around Europe than I could have got going to the US at the time AND now it's cheaper to go to the US than Europe. Also the kind of holiday I would take is different then to now. Then I would backpack in either continent, now no chance, so things are dearer now both in relation to the type of holiday and how much they cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Nah, don't be sorry. Can't see anything "inappropriate" in your "interjection".

America was just fine when I was there, but then I'd left my "assumptions" about the place at the door and was ready to just let it all unfold. And unfold it did. A beatiful place that I'm excited to visit again despite the way the world is changing.
I will say that I was more than happy to spend a brief time in LA as it's not really my scene but then neither is Sydney or Surfer's Paradise. Moving away from that kind of environment and on to other areas I was blown away by the beauty of America, the little bit that I saw AND really comfortable with the culture and Americans. We are different but we are also a lot the same.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:31 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,127,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Even if it's culture was totally boring, I would still want to visit for it's stunning natural beauty - hell, most places on earth have areas of stunning beauty. Australia is great, but, as a patriotic Aussie who loves our wilderness, it doesn't compare to the grandeur of the Rockies or the prettiness of New England.

Fo sho. Europe doesn't either for natural beauty - it's mostly farmland.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:15 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
The USA is an amazing place to travel around as long as you get beyond LA and NYC. And especially if you do your research and know where to go. Having traveled to Europe what I enjoy about the USA is the lack of stuffyness and snooty attitudes many europeans have. America has a rich cultural history and it's a great place to travel around. I've been to 44 states and there is still much I have not seen. And of all the hundreds of aussies I used to work with most prefered the USA once they had lived here and traveled around.

The USA does indeed have work visas for younger australians however not to the length of the Brit one. There is the J-1 which is for uni students and is for four months with one month of travel and the working holiday visa which is a year. My old employer in vail also uses H2-B visas and makes them good for seven to ten months so the aussies could work the winter and summer seasons.

Having previously counseled many aussies once they landed in the USA and worked with them to get them settled and adjusted, my advice is:
1. Don't read too much into what you see in tv and movies about America.
2. The United States is just that, 50 different states with a vast diversity of cultures, history, language differences, food, topography, etc. It is "one country" yet is probably more diverse than western europe. Hence don't lump Americans into one pot.
3. By seeing LA and NYC you have not "done" the USA.
4. Have an open mind.

Also the USA is way cheaper. For starters we don't have 17.5-22.5% VAT tax on everything.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:27 PM

266 posts, read 547,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The USA is an amazing place to travel around as long as you get beyond LA and NYC. And especially if you do your research and know where to go. Having traveled to Europe what I enjoy about the USA is the lack of stuffyness and snooty attitudes many europeans have. America has a rich cultural history and it's a great place to travel around. I've been to 44 states and there is still much I have not seen. And of all the hundreds of aussies I used to work with most prefered the USA once they had lived here and traveled around.

Having previously counseled many aussies once they landed in the USA and worked with them to get them settled and adjusted, my advice is:
1. Don't read too much into what you see in tv and movies about America.
2. The United States is just that, 50 different states with a vast diversity of cultures, history, language differences, food, topography, etc. It is "one country" yet is probably more diverse than western europe. Hence don't lump Americans into one pot.
3. By seeing LA and NYC you have not "done" the USA.
4. Have an open mind.

Also the USA is way cheaper. For starters we don't have 17.5-22.5% VAT tax on everything.
Wanneroo ... you are always so good to us. xxooxoo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand