Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:14 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
For every 1 American that moves to Canada, there are 3 Canadians moving to the US.
Maybe someday even Coldy will move to warm Florida?
Pretty much my only way in is to marry an American...
(Very-unlikely? )

I've wanted to live there since I was a boy, but I've all but given up on that in the last few years.
At the moment, I've made myself content to just visit the U.S.A.
(Had to let my "American Dream" die. After it was dead, it didn't hurt that I couldn't live there.)
*Unless somehow I become rich...

That's not to say I couldn't like Australia as much,
I'm just very familiar with the U.S.A. from numerous vacations spent there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 08:56 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,801,749 times
Quote:
For every 1 American that moves to Canada, there are 3 Canadians moving to the US. Maybe someday even Coldy will move to warm Florida?
Because of stats like this,
Canadians have one of the nationalities that are now ineligible for the Diversity Visa (aka. "Green Card Lottery")

Old 10-03-2009, 01:10 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
As long as you are not in rush hour on the sidewalks with people rushing to work, its not difficult to strike a conversation with New Yorkers. Last weekend this woman commented on my Australian t-shirt in the subway. I've asked people for help or made comments and have never had any major negative experience. I think its a myth - unfriendly NYers.
I agree. It's a myth. When I visit NYC I'm usually getting around on the subway and sometimes when I come up to street level I have no idea how to get where I need to be. I always have a subway map with me (those babies are pure gold) and I'll be standing on the street trying to figure out where I went wrong on the subway. It's amazing the number of people who will stop and offer help. When they hear my Texas drawl they are even more willing to help.

I like New Yorkers. The thing is that most of them are usually in a big hurry. That does not make them unfriendly.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:11 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,857,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I notice a lot of Australians dismiss the US as an interesting tourist destination because they think the culture is shallow and plastic, and it's too similar to Australia. I think that's true to an extent, but I also think America has such a rich cultural history, especially in the 20th century. I myself am most interested in 20th century pop culture so in many ways the history of the 1950s, Rock'n'Roll, Civil Rights is more fascinating than the history of Ancient Greece or the Middle Ages, even if they are interesting too. I feel the 20th century is more relevant, and the events of American history in the 20th century still reverberate. As fascinating as the ancient world was, I can't directly relate to it.

Anyone, I notice most would choose Europe first over North America because of it's longer history, culture, old buildings, diversity etc - of course it does have many things the US - just one country - lacks, but while Europe would come close, if I had to choose I would visit the United States, since I've been wanting to go there since forever. I know in some ways I'll be disappointed but overall I think I'll get a lot of what I bargain for.

What is your personal opinion on this? Do you notice a lot of people who are dismissive of the US as a place to visit?
Hummmmmm, dunno about that not having a history. True, the written history starts around 1587 and the lost colony on Okracoke Island. The continent was/is inhabited by several indigenous tribal groups whose oral history is both rich and extensive. Some people prefer a history written upon paper, others really like hearing the old legends. Most of the time, the white man has no idea what type of culture he just destroyed.

Old 10-08-2009, 03:09 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,671,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Hummmmmm, dunno about that not having a history. True, the written history starts around 1587 and the lost colony on Okracoke Island. The continent was/is inhabited by several indigenous tribal groups whose oral history is both rich and extensive. Some people prefer a history written upon paper, others really like hearing the old legends. Most of the time, the white man has no idea what type of culture he just destroyed.
Cultures form, die out and reform again as something new since the dawn of time. It would be boring otherwise if that wasn't the case.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
The structure of cities in the United States and Australia are very similar. I think that is one of the main reasons. If the people spoke the same way and cars drove on the same side, it would be hard to tell whether or not you are in the United States or Australia. There are exceptions such as Las Vegas, San Francisco and New York City.

If you ever want advice on where to visit in the United States, send me a message. I spent a few years living in Australia and showed some of my friends around America, so I'm used to giving advice to Aussies.

Take care!
Thanks...yes, US cities are even more auto-dependent and just as sprawling as Australian cities (the former is hard to believe and frightening to think of). I think apart from that the things which are most easy to spot are vegetation and store names.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:50 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Also the USA is way cheaper. For starters we don't have 17.5-22.5% VAT tax on everything.
Not this week, anyway. They're coming.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:10 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,862 times
*resists urge to hijack thread*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand