Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 10:35 AM

266 posts, read 547,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree.
So do I!!! I just don't understand it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 08:48 PM

12 posts, read 29,060 times
I personally have always wanted to go to the USA, over Europe and anywhere else. has always been my dream growing up, my family are english and German, but never have i had as much excitment thinking about those places as i do of the USA!!
I was lucky enough to Marry an American, and travel though California for a year, and was amazed at how friendly people were, considering most aussies think they are arrogant
i agree that there's so much to see and such diversity in all the states of the US, where to me Europe seems the same no matter where u go.?
i was also so shocked to see how friendly etc the African American people are!! Im from perth and it is very rare to see Aboriginal people working in the store, and being so funny and outgoing, they seem to get on with there lifes, and do the best for themselves and there family's and not rely too much on the past, they seem so bubbly and outgoing, i love that! i wish it was more like that here. maybe one day

Im hoping to go back there at the end of the year, as i think it is a better place to raise my children!! they will have much more oppertunity there, and be able to have alot more fun, go out without being threatened, etc etc the list goes on LoL

Just my opinion by the way.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:53 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDi View Post
I
Im hoping to go back there at the end of the year, as i think it is a better place to raise my children!! they will have much more oppertunity there, and be able to have alot more fun, go out without being threatened, etc etc the list goes on LoL

Just my opinion by the way.
Nice post! Funny as some Americans think Oz is a better place.. I guess the grass is always greener.. as someone that has lived in the US, Canada the US and Oz.. I feel that the US is best for careers and quality of life.. though Jacqs can tell you that my heart still belongs to South Australia.. and in a way.. it does.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:02 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Jacqs can tell you that my heart still belongs to South Australia.. and in a way.. it does.
I was gonna say you belong in a small padded room, but I remembered you did live in Addelbrain...
No, you're right mini, ppl from the U.S really often prefer it over here for some reason. And I do think for advancement career-wise and ease of living, the U.S. is the place to be. Mind you, that does not necessarily apply to Louisiana for instance, where my heart is. NOLA would not be the easiest city to live in, but I'd like to give it a try someday.
I'm lucky though, b/c it's relatively easy for me to get out of Sydney on a weekend, so I really cant complain too much. But I will anyhoo.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I was gonna say you belong in a small padded room, but I remembered you did live in Addelbrain...
We need to make a list of all the nicknames for ADL that we've posted.. I like this new one. .Addelbrain... actually I'd live in the Barossa or even better.. McClaren Vale..

Old 06-15-2009, 08:52 PM

Gratuitous on-topic reference poem: U.S.A! U.S.A! Not to be dismissed, no way! *cartwheel* Ouch.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:16 PM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,024 times
Interesting topic, because one thing that supresses my desire to see Europe, is the huge abundance of things to see and do in the USA, for which I include Alaska, Hawaii and Canada by geographical association. Could even tack on Mexico too since California kisses the south border.

There are the redwoods, giant sequoias, beaches, skiing, mountains, deserts, world class amusement parks, hunting, fishing, the Grand Canyon, Smithsonian, giant caves, Crater Lake, scores of wildlife, and the list goes on.

Italy is about the only country I wish to see, just to see some extra country, mountains and culture. But I could spend a lifetime in the USA and not experience it all.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:49 AM

Tell me about it mdvaden! We spent 7 weeks doing the RV thing, and didn't even touch the northwest, or the plains..mind you it was the middle of winter.

Aside from the scenery, for me the interest is the history, and I just love the variety of accents. I also love the (mostly) 'can-do' attitude there, it does exist and is refreshing after hearing nothing but 'no dramaaas maaaate', 'she'll be riiiiight maaaate.' Often there are dramas, and it doesn't turn out to be right after all.

And of course, there's New Orleans.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:31 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I notice a lot of Australians dismiss the US as an interesting tourist destination because they think the culture is shallow and plastic, and it's too similar to Australia. I think that's true to an extent, but I also think America has such a rich cultural history, especially in the 20th century. I myself am most interested in 20th century pop culture so in many ways the history of the 1950s, Rock'n'Roll, Civil Rights is more fascinating than the history of Ancient Greece or the Middle Ages, even if they are interesting too. I feel the 20th century is more relevant, and the events of American history in the 20th century still reverberate. As fascinating as the ancient world was, I can't directly relate to it.

Anyone, I notice most would choose Europe first over North America because of it's longer history, culture, old buildings, diversity etc - of course it does have many things the US - just one country - lacks, but while Europe would come close, if I had to choose I would visit the United States, since I've been wanting to go there since forever. I know in some ways I'll be disappointed but overall I think I'll get a lot of what I bargain for.

What is your personal opinion on this? Do you notice a lot of people who are dismissive of the US as a place to visit?
I think the opposite is also true that Americans dismiss Australia as a tourist destination and prefer to travel to Europe for the same reasons Australians do. It is cheaper for an American to visit Europe, they can look for their roots in Europe, etc.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:27 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think the opposite is also true that Americans dismiss Australia as a tourist destination and prefer to travel to Europe for the same reasons Australians do. It is cheaper for an American to visit Europe, they can look for their roots in Europe, etc.
^^ It seems that standard fares for coach tickets to Australia are some most expensive in the world. I've seen tickets to Bangkok and Tokyo for 1/2 the price to Sydney from Toronto. Or Johannesburg, South Africa for 2/3rd's the price of a ticket to Sydney. Dubai, anywhere in India, Egypt, or South America... all cheaper than a ticket to Sydney.

*Supply-and-demand perhaps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand