Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:15 AM

34 posts, read 84,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
I'm not voting for goddamn labor that's for sure.

Anyone who does is a retarded idiot.
Or a feminist or gay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 06:42 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Why do some people despise so much Tradition ? are they ashamed of their own History? traditionally Oz and NZ (and CND) have been Dominion of the Crown/ Commonwealth, they are parliamentary democracies derived from the English Bill Of Rights, a grand anglo-saxon tradition (read Habeas Corpus), what would a "Republic" bring to these countries: nothing, nada. Why ape the USA and France who have each a different History ?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:17 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Why do some people despise so much Tradition ? are they ashamed of their own History? traditionally Oz and NZ (and CND) have been Dominion of the Crown/ Commonwealth, they are parliamentary democracies derived from the English Bill Of Rights, a grand anglo-saxon tradition (read Habeas Corpus), what would a "Republic" bring to these countries: nothing, nada. Why ape the USA and France who have each a different History ?
Most of us don't DESPISE the monarchy, we just feel it isn't really useful or relevant for Australia. I think the British Crown would give us our full blessings if we did decide on that path. It's not like we're rejecting them; I'm sure we'll still have strong links with Britain regardless, because of ancestry and culture, but it's a statement that we're able to stand on our own two feet, and don't need the Queen or King being head.

I could ask you Americans the same question. Why did you 'despise' Britain so much you rebelled and had to declare independence?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:42 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
No, what did he do to her?
Was a rude little turd, gave her the cold shoulder. While she was talking to him, he just shuffled papers for no reason. Body language said it all. Came across like a prissy little snot.

This whole Health takeover thing is just a distraction from the mess his mob has created of just about everything. Convenient timing eh? The catastrophic debacle over something that should have been so simple - putting insulation in ceilings. Notice how that's off the front burner.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:32 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
it's a statement that we're able to stand on our own two feet, and don't need the Queen or King being head.

Sad that you think like that, the notion of having a Queen or King is so romantic for me who lives in a Republic, where the head of state is only a politician-nothing to dream about,or poetic about it, especially nowadays!Think about your children, children are spontaneaously monarchists!

Old 03-14-2010, 04:37 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
if you wanna refer to Prince Charles as a romantic, go for it.

seriously, there is nothing romantic about a head of state who hasn't even bothered to visit here in god knows how long.

Most Australians have no tie to the monarchy, nor the history, I'd rather we created our own history.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:39 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Was a rude little turd, gave her the cold shoulder. While she was talking to him, he just shuffled papers for no reason. Body language said it all. Came across like a prissy little snot.

This whole Health takeover thing is just a distraction from the mess his mob has created of just about everything. Convenient timing eh? The catastrophic debacle over something that should have been so simple - putting insulation in ceilings. Notice how that's off the front burner.
This was "Ham Sandwich" Rudd?

Old 03-14-2010, 05:31 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Ok i am all for a republic, but what sort of role would a president (if they are given that title) play in any sort of new model? Our head of state needs to given a more relevent role rather than an overpaid beaurcrate who primary role seems to be to host tea parties, while sitting around waiting for a once in a century constitutional crisis to comes a long.
It would be interesting to see the resluts of a poll showing how many australians acutally know who Quinten Bryce is?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
it's a statement that we're able to stand on our own two feet, and don't need the Queen or King being head.

Sad that you think like that, the notion of having a Queen or King is so romantic for me who lives in a Republic, where the head of state is only a politician-nothing to dream about,or poetic about it, especially nowadays!Think about your children, children are spontaneaously monarchists!

Nice thought, pigeonhole, and I suppose the reason we still have the monarchy is because many still think like you. Actually, as long as Queen Liz is there I don't mind the monarchy so much. She doesn't really have much to do with us - except visiting about once every decade or so and sending cards to 100 year olds - so it's symbolic. Don't know why our day to day political system need be complicated by it, though. And as Ozgal says I'll have no sentimental attachment when King Charlie ascends to the throne!

Old 03-14-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post

Sounds rather typical of him. He does need to be brought down to earth, imo. I don't know who I'll vote in the next election (neither of the big wigs, I think). I have generally voted Labor but this government could have been much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand