Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
ps: where in Colorado did you live wanneroo ?
In Vail mostly, Steamboat Springs as well and also would do work in Summit County and Aspen quite frequently.

Vail is probably a "hometown" to me and still have family and friends in abundance there.

When I worked there about 75% of our company in the winter was seasonal employees from Australia and NZ so it was a unique experience for me in my own country and helped form a lot of lasting friendships with many from Aus and NZ to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 12:15 AM

279 posts, read 673,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
In Vail mostly, Steamboat Springs as well and also would do work in Summit County and Aspen quite frequently.

Vail is probably a "hometown" to me and still have family and friends in abundance there.

When I worked there about 75% of our company in the winter was seasonal employees from Australia and NZ so it was a unique experience for me in my own country and helped form a lot of lasting friendships with many from Aus and NZ to this day.
Cool....
I love Vail and it's about 1.5 hours drive from me. I work near Silverthorne so I'm out that way every day. Steamboat is also beautiful, was there last weekend. We have a lot of Aussie's here too, working in Winter Park, Sol Vista, Grand Lake, etc. On my very first day in Grand Lake I walked into a saloon for a drink and was served by an Aussie...... and she's still here....

Old 04-09-2010, 12:49 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times
Quote:
Cool....
I love Vail and it's about 1.5 hours drive from me. I work near Silverthorne
Wow, small world ... last year on our roadtrip, we stayed at the Comfort Suites in Dillon, which is right next to Silverthorne, I believe. Went to dinner at some steakhouse, Pug something or other. It was alright. But the scenery around that area is gorgeous. We overnighted there before heading up to RMNP the next morning.

I remember the highway there - 70 - was so bad, all pot-holed. Obviously due to the weather, and probably salting the roads. We actually got wet snow while driving there. And the thermostat in the Jeep said it was something like 39F outside! Meanwhile, we were sitting there in shorts, t-shirts and Tevas. When we pulled into the hotel parking lot we scrambled in the back and pulled on some warmer clothes! Big change from the temperatures only that morning.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Wow, small world ... last year on our roadtrip, we stayed at the Comfort Suites in Dillon, which is right next to Silverthorne, I believe. Went to dinner at some steakhouse, Pug something or other. It was alright. But the scenery around that area is gorgeous. We overnighted there before heading up to RMNP the next morning.
If you were in Dillon and headed up to RMNP, which way did you go? I'm assuming you went to the western entrance? (which is the closest from Dillon).

Quote:
I remember the highway there - 70 - was so bad, all pot-holed.
Pot holes are good in winter, they fill up with water and freeze....and then no pot hole...

Old 04-09-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
If you were in Dillon and headed up to RMNP, which way did you go? I'm assuming you went to the western entrance? (which is the closest from Dillon).
I just looked it up on my Rand McNally Road Atlas, to jog my memory ... we headed along 70 a bit more and turned up 40. And then at around Granby we got onto the 34. We entered the park at Grand Lake.

It was the first day it was open for 2009, so we were lucky. We weren't planning on RMNP but while at Dead Horse State Park in Utah (which is an amazing park, btw - you have to go!), we met some New Yorkers who we got talking to and they talked about the park being opened on that day - it was the Friday before Memorial Day weekend last year, whenever that was. As soon as we heard that, we decided we wanted to go. We had initially planned to just head to Boulder but decided we wanted more scenery, versus city. The weather was real iffy though, and it still looked like we might be just heading to Boulder until we decided to just go for it. Glad we did. Awesome place. That Trail Ridge Road was astonishing.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:13 AM

OMG! I just put two and two together finally - Grand Lake - it's where you live!!!

Small world, alright!

I always thought you were further south somewhere.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:30 AM

Quote:
OMG! I just put two and two together finally - Grand Lake - it's where you live!!!

Small world, alright!

I always thought you were further south somewhere.

You do realise that you drove straight past my house...... You veer off to the right from 34 to go into Grand Lake. If you go straight my street is the next on the left (Golf Course Road). And if you go straight the entrance to RMNP is about 2 or 3 miles up.

ps: did you go into Grand Lake?....down the main street?

34 on the left....veering off to the right to go into Grand Lake

Old 04-09-2010, 01:56 AM

LOL! This is so funny. And like ... weird in a Six Degrees of Separation sort of way.

I remember that fork in the road. No, we didn't go to Grand Lake as we were anxious to hit the park before any weird weather cropped up and prevented us.

Oh, you lucky, lucky, lucky dog, you!!!! I can't believe you live there. It's so gorgeous. The whole time we're in that part of Colorado, my husband and I were saying to each other ... "This is beautiful! Wish we could live here!" And there you are, living there. Not just the scenery but it has such a nice feel. Like ... real. I guess it's all that Big scenery and Wide open spaces, and Wild stuff out there.

That's a bit of a commute to Silverthorne from there but it's such a pretty drive along the way, that you probably don't mind it so much. Better than some soulless freeway in other parts of the country.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
LOL! This is so funny. And like ... weird in a Six Degrees of Separation sort of way.

I remember that fork in the road. No, we didn't go to Grand Lake as we were anxious to hit the park before any weird weather cropped up and prevented us.

Oh, you lucky, lucky, lucky dog, you!!!! I can't believe you live there. It's so gorgeous. The whole time we're in that part of Colorado, my husband and I were saying to each other ... "This is beautiful! Wish we could live here!" And there you are, living there. Not just the scenery but it has such a nice feel. Like ... real. I guess it's all that Big scenery and Wide open spaces, and Wild stuff out there.

That's a bit of a commute to Silverthorne from there but it's such a pretty drive along the way, that you probably don't mind it so much. Better than some soulless freeway in other parts of the country.

If I threw a rock from that fork I could probably hit my house. There is a snowmobile trail next to the road (you can't see it in the photos) and in winter we ride our sleds into town. Actually in winter there are more sleds parked in town than cars.... especially in front of the saloons.....

Yes it is a bit of a drive, takes me about an hour. Unfortunately all employment opportunities in GL are tourist and hospitality related. There are no real professional jobs in town, so we need to travel. It's not bad, I take secondary roads which are not really highlighted in maps and that cuts out a lot of travel time. That's why my wife and I both have 4x4 trucks (utes) for family cars. Normal sedans wouldn't make half the roads we travel on.

I've added a photo album in my profile. It's what you would have seen if you took that fork in the road......

Old 04-09-2010, 08:31 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Cool....
I love Vail and it's about 1.5 hours drive from me. I work near Silverthorne so I'm out that way every day. Steamboat is also beautiful, was there last weekend. We have a lot of Aussie's here too, working in Winter Park, Sol Vista, Grand Lake, etc. On my very first day in Grand Lake I walked into a saloon for a drink and was served by an Aussie...... and she's still here....
Oh yeah there are tons of Aussies up in those resort towns, which is just an oddity how it all came about but mostly it was because the winter season rhymed with summer break from university down under. Most are on J-1 4 month visas but some are now employer sponsored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand