Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:05 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,729,295 times

Advertisements

New Mexico Museum of Art, Santa Fe:

I bought some beautiful silver jewelry off the Native Americans at the Palace of the Governors:

They sit under the verandah along the wall and you walk along and drool at their beautiful handiwork with silver, turquoise, lapis lazuli, leather, etc. It was tough choosing as I liked so many pieces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 08:09 AM

Default Monument Valley

I'm not a religious person but I felt like I was having a religious experience in this place. It was gob-smacking!

This was the view while standing on the balcony of our hotel room. The hotel is The View, built and managed by the Navajo. It was a splurge, but well worth it.

When I looked to the right, I saw ....

Old 03-13-2010, 08:17 AM

Default Canyons

Last time I was at the Grand Canyon was about 1975. Since we were in the area, I had to see it again.

Utah was surprisingly gorgeous. We visited a few national and state parks there. Great hiking. Beautiful colours everywhere too.
Here's Zion:

Old 03-13-2010, 08:21 AM

Default Bryce Canyon

Bryce Canyon was another breathtaking park:

That's the famous Amphiteatre and those rock formations are called 'hoodoos'.

It was only early May but very hot in southern Utah. Hiking through the narrow canyons, along the bottom, was a welcome activity as it was a lot cooler.

This is a picture of my hubby. He's up there on that rock that looks like a dog's head. He's crazy that way.

Last edited by Vichel; 03-13-2010 at 08:37 AM..

Old 03-13-2010, 08:27 AM

Default Dead Horse Point State Park

My favourite of all the parks was Dead Horse Point, near Moab, Utah. It was vast and I preferred it over the Grand Canyon because it's a lot less crowded.

It's called "Dead Horse Point" because legend has it that mustangs used to be corralled on that peninsula above and the escape fenced off. One time apparently the cowboys forgot a bunch they had corralled there and the horses died, with all that water below them. Kinda morbid .

We started going down that road in our rental Jeep but turned back as it was so incredibly bumpy. The road looks okay from this view but believe me, it was just craters and washboard. We watched a group of guys on motorbikes go down there. They said it's better on a bike because you can pick your path easier. Looked like fun. Next time.

Last edited by Vichel; 03-13-2010 at 08:42 AM..

Old 03-13-2010, 08:57 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,811,439 times
Awesome desert scenery and pics of Santa Fe.
I've heard Utah's landscape described as "lunar."

Old 03-13-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Awesome desert scenery and pics of Santa Fe.
I've heard Utah's landscape described as "lunar."
Thanks.

Yes, there are a lot of areas with lunar landscape. Dry and parched, very rough. But there's a lot of variety in Utah with canyons and rivers and mountains.

I'd love to explore the northern part of the state one time. I've been through Salt Lake City as a teenager but I'm not so much interested in the cities in that part of the US. The landscape fascinates me much more. I really enjoy hiking but only if I've got pretty country to look at, and there was a lot of pretty country on our Southwest adventure. This was only a taste. Next time, we'd like to spend several months there.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:22 PM

279 posts, read 673,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
This was the view while standing on the balcony of our hotel room. The hotel is The View, built and managed by the Navajo. It was a splurge, but well worth it.

When I looked to the right, I saw ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
My favourite of all the parks was Dead Horse Point, near Moab, Utah. It was vast and I preferred it over the Grand Canyon because it's a lot less crowded.

WOW......what a spectacular view...

I googled the hotel and it's now on my "must do" list for sometime in the future. Utah has such amazing scenery.

We went to Lake Powell (Utah) for our summer vacation last year.
This was our camp site....and you can't go there without doing some fishing...

Old 03-13-2010, 03:32 PM

The lake has so many canyons branching off winding through towering cliffs you can literally get lost in them.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:37 PM

Over time the erosion has carved holes and shapes into the cliff facings.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand