Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:40 AM

42 posts, read 59,461 times

Advertisements

The consequences of mass immigration and multiculturalism/globalization.

Mass immigration kills Aussie culture, says demographer Bob Birrell | News.com.au
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 02:15 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,900,317 times
Agree entirely. This is getting ridiculous.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:04 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
seriously ....

what in the world is Aussie culture?

Shared heritage? I don't share any heritage with a lot of fellow Australians, shared language? really? my family didn't speak English when they came here,
and sporting culture ... this is what we're defining as "the erosion of Aussie Culture"

what a nonsense article, another piece of irrelevant, tabloid journalism from the worst news outlet in the land.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:25 AM

42 posts, read 59,461 times
What is culture then? Define what Chinese culture, Nigerian culture or Iraqi culture is. Bet you cant.

Those (that live here) who keep questioning what Australian culture is are uneducated ignoramuses.

The article says what is at stake with continued mass immigration.

Its really common sense.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,814,421 times
"...has said the huge influx of people with few or no English skills had created social problems..."

What about immigrants with ONLY English skills?
What about immigrants who like Aussie culture?

General thoughts:
Australia's points test favours immigrants with a functional level of English, but also fluency in other languages...
which may increase the chances of this new immigrant shying away from "Aussie culture," staying in their ethnic "community"
But at least Australia has minimum standards for English skill-level; a step above the USA, imho.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-28-2010 at 08:27 AM..

Old 03-28-2010, 01:22 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
I bet every group that came to Oz complained about the next group of immigrants.
Starting with the first Australians.. and they had the most to complain about!

I do think its odd that people who migrated to Oz have the nerve to complain about immigration.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfr88 View Post
What is culture then? Define what Chinese culture, Nigerian culture or Iraqi culture is. Bet you cant.

Those (that live here) who keep questioning what Australian culture is are uneducated ignoramuses.

The article says what is at stake with continued mass immigration.

Its really common sense.
no, the article defined Aussie culture as shared heritage .... that means even though I was born here I'm not part of Aussie culture - my heritage isn't from the UK. therefore I do not share anything with the majority of Australians.

It also defined Aussie culture as shared language. Sure, I speak English. When my family migrated they didn't.

shared sport - we're really clutching at straws for "culture" here, aren't we?
what exactly? cricket?

As CC pointed out you do need to know a level of English to get into this country. Whether it is then used is something totally different.

uneducated ignoramuses indeed.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
As CC pointed out you do need to know a level of English to get into this country. Whether it is then used is something totally different.

uneducated ignoramuses indeed.
Well all I know are the "points test" requirements, which are for "skilled workers."

This probably has nothing to do with refugees,
which in some cases my have their lives threatened in their home country
and want to seek asylum in a new country, like Australia. (or Canada, or USA etc.)

The motive behind Australia prefering skilled migrants with a functional level of english and fluency in other langauges is in recognition that their economy is becoming more "global", so Australia having a pool of residents who can speak other languages is supposed to be an advantage to Australia. I wouldn't expect there to be higher numbers of people speaking foreign languages and have it not affect the overall level of "Aussieness." However as long as most of the migrants have a good attitude I wouldn't worry about Australia seeming "less Aussie", as Canada may be becoming "less Canadian" with high migration too.

Ex: Baseball is experiencing a sharp decline of popularity in Canada,
which is probably mostly due to new immigrants having no interest for it.
Many South Asians in particular were raised with "cricket" and often show no interest for baseball.

People like me moving to Australia would have minimal impact on the culture, (as bogans & yobbos might hope for)
however English-only speaking migrants also wouldn't be helping Australia as much to become more "internationally-competitive."

Old 03-28-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Well all I know are the "points test" requirements, which are for "skilled workers."

This probably has nothing to do with refugees,
which in some cases my have their lives threatened in their home country
and want to seek asylum in a new country, like Australia. (or Canada, or USA etc.)
yes, skilled migrants. To get into Australia you need to be able to contribute to society ...- The door is not open to any one.

I know of one lady who took years to get her parents here from Zimbabwe. even though all their children lived in Australia. Quite simply they were too old. even though they were living under Mugabe, and have lost everything. They cant work - their kids had to send them money. It took YEARS.

The idea that this country has an open door policy is absurd.

Quote:
The motive behind Australia prefering skilled migrants with a functional level of english and fluency in other langauges is in recognition that their economy is becoming more "global", so Australia having a pool of residents who can speak other languages is supposed to be an advantage to Australia. I wouldn't expect there to be higher numbers of people speaking foreign languages and have it not affect the overall level of "Aussieness." However as long as most of the migrants have a good attitude I wouldn't worry about Australia seeming "less Aussie", as Canada may be becoming "less Canadian" with high migration too.
we need workers - there is a shortage of skilled labour in Australia. tradesmen etc.

Speaking another language is an advantage (and the right language) but where we need people is doing more blue collar type of work.

But what is "Aussiness"?? Amongst my friends (who are pretty much mostly 1st or 2nd gen Aussies) are Armenians, Greeks, Italians, Turkish, Danish, Afghan, British, Irish, Sth African, Paraguyan, Chilean, Lebanese, Japanese, Sri Lankan and so on...

so where is the shared heritage there? Isn't that what makes Australia? All these people from different parts of the world living together? So how, will new immigrants erode that?

Quote:

Ex: Baseball is experiencing a sharp decline of popularity in Canada,
which is probably mostly due to new immigrants having no interest for it.
Many South Asians in particular were raised with "cricket" and often show no interest for baseball.
cricket is still just as big in Australia -regardless of the dynamics of new Australians.

Quote:
People like me moving to Australia would have minimal impact on the culture, (as bogans & yobbos might hope for)
however English-only speaking migrants also wouldn't be helping Australia as much to become more "internationally-competitive."
I think Australia is still defining it's culture, and a part of that (and part of the best things about this country) is the multi-cultralism.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
yes, skilled migrants. To get into Australia you need to be able to contribute to society ...- The door is not open to any one.

I know of one lady who took years to get her parents here from Zimbabwe. even though all their children lived in Australia. Quite simply they were too old. even though they were living under Mugabe, and have lost everything. They cant work - their kids had to send them money. It took YEARS.

The idea that this country has an open door policy is absurd.
Definitely!
Anyone over 44 that cannot afford to start a certain sized business or a "very-cushy" retirement is not allowed to stay in Oz passed 6 months. (not counting refugee status) That would automatically exclude nearly-half of Canada's workforce from being considered.

Quote:
we need workers - there is a shortage of skilled labour in Australia. tradesmen etc.

Speaking another language is an advantage (and the right language) but where we need people is doing more blue collar type of work.
One of the reasons I might be able to immigrate to Australia, but can't immigrate to the USA.

Quote:
But what is "Aussiness"?? Amongst my friends (who are pretty much mostly 1st or 2nd gen Aussies) are Armenians, Greeks, Italians, Turkish, Danish, Afghan, British, Irish, Sth African, Paraguyan, Chilean, Lebanese, Japanese, Sri Lankan and so on...

so where is the shared heritage there? Isn't that what makes Australia? All these people from different parts of the world living together? So how, will new immigrants erode that?
"Aussiness" as defined by the folk whinging that it's disappearing. (entirely-subjective)

Quote:
cricket is still just as big in Australia -regardless of the dynamics of new Australians.
Baseball was just an example of what's changing in Canada.
Cricket still isn't popular here, though it is probably becoming less "uncommon."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand