Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 04:13 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times

Advertisements

Ticket sales for this weekend's race are so abysmal that Pocono is considering trying to get out of their contract with IndyCar a year early. Sad because I like open-wheelers at Pocono a lot more than I like NASCAR there.

Low ticket sales jeopardize IndyCar event's future at Pocono Raceway - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 02:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I'm amazed Indycar survives, watching a race one realizes there no one there ,most of the stands are empty..I thought the old CHAMP car league really had a good following of fans, i considered it North Americas equivalent to Formula 1, however it all fell apart to be replaced with the boring spectacle we have today.

Old 07-04-2014, 07:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Car racing is hard to sale a series in one country and why F1 went looking outside Europe. I'd say that Indy is a competitive series tho and they go at it in the races compared to parades in so many others. Oval just sales in US because but it very dangerous in open wheel cars at those constant speeds.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:25 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
this is what happens when you remove a successful sanctioning body like USAC from the indycar series, and then try to force the teams to cut back on costs. formula one took a hit many years ago when they tried to force the teams to cut back on costs to try and get more participation, they changed their tune very quickly though after a couple of seasons.

unfortunately indycar has not done that.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:49 PM

281 posts, read 327,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
this is what happens when you remove a successful sanctioning body like USAC from the indycar series, and then try to force the teams to cut back on costs. formula one took a hit many years ago when they tried to force the teams to cut back on costs to try and get more participation, they changed their tune very quickly though after a couple of seasons.

unfortunately indycar has not done that.
Umm. No. This is what happens when a track owner decides he thinks running the series is his birthright. The slide started back in the mid 90's. The Hulman/George clan have proven twice that they can't run a race series. The first time saw the formation of CART. With that along came multiple chassis, engine and tire manufacturers. Booming crowds. Booming sponsorship. Then Tony George decided his family should control North American open wheel racing. What happened after his tantrum is all down to the incompetence of the 'braintrust' at 16th and Georgetown.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
Umm. No. This is what happens when a track owner decides he thinks running the series is his birthright. The slide started back in the mid 90's. The Hulman/George clan have proven twice that they can't run a race series. The first time saw the formation of CART. With that along came multiple chassis, engine and tire manufacturers. Booming crowds. Booming sponsorship. Then Tony George decided his family should control North American open wheel racing. What happened after his tantrum is all down to the incompetence of the 'braintrust' at 16th and Georgetown.
like i said, when you remove a successful sanctioning body like USAC, you get what indycar racing is now. CART was also a successful sanctioning body. i wouldnt mind having them back either.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:23 PM

281 posts, read 327,546 times
USAC didn't run IndyCar successfully. USAC was joined at the hip with the Speedway. Back when USAC ran the series schedule was the Indy 500 and a bunch of races that resembled SCCA regional events. It was USAC/Speedway's hamfisted running of the series that caused Dan Gurney to write his 'white paper' that lead to the formation of CART.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbpmp View Post
USAC didn't run IndyCar successfully. USAC was joined at the hip with the Speedway. Back when USAC ran the series schedule was the Indy 500 and a bunch of races that resembled SCCA regional events. It was USAC/Speedway's hamfisted running of the series that caused Dan Gurney to write his 'white paper' that lead to the formation of CART.
in the end yes, but USAC ran the series for many years successfully. i agree that USAC went down the wrong path towards the end, and i agree that the hulman family had a hand in it, but it just proves my point that you take away a successful sanctioning body, and this is what you get.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:27 AM

983 posts, read 1,634,685 times
I attended the race and it was sad to see the stands so empty. Basically only the middle grandstand was semi-full. Where I was it was basically empty.

Racing was pretty good. I feel it's a good product but the category is still hurt after the 90s split, and it doesn't help that the new generation of Andrettis and Rahals are subpar drivers.

Anyway, I was glad to be there to see Montoya win again!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
I was an Indy car fan growing up in the 50's when the 500 was not televised. Went to a PPV in a theater in Trenton NJ (I think it was 1964). I remember the 500 having 33 starters but the smaller tracks, Trenton, Milwaukee sometimes only having 15-18 cars. Those races were pretty pathetic with only maybe 2-3 cars as having a chance to win. That's when I started watching NASCAR. Full fields of 40+at all the tracks over one mile with the 1/3 -1/2 mile tracks still getting 30 cars. I found NASCAR much more exciting and even the better Indy drivers could pull off a win once in a while. Foyt, Andretti, and Dan Gurney winning on the road courses.
Never could find the excitement in Indy car that I once had.

So I don't blame Indy car's failure on Cart or any particular sanctioning group. I blame it on lack of exciting competition. Except for the Indy 500( still the greatest spectacle in racing) Indy car is just another form of racing that appeals to a much smaller audience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing