Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 03:11 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't care much for NASCAR, but I don't think you have any idea just how much athleticism it takes to wrestle that steering wheel in a 3,000+ pound car generating an additional several hundred pounds of downforce as you try to hold a very precise line at 200mph where a few inches off your line could cause an 8-car crash, fighting G-forces that would cause some people to black out, inside a car that's 135 degrees while you're wearing a flame-retardant suit for 3 hours. NASCAR drivers can lose as much as 10 pounds in a SINGLE RACE from dehydration, and yet they still have to stay alert enough to do all the stuff I just described. Try it some day and tell me these guys aren't athletes.
My opinion is not the end all do all and I've been known to be wrong on about 3 million occasions in my life. I suppose if you look at the definition of athlete (below), these guys are athletes.

A person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

My bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 09:05 PM

172 posts, read 609,037 times
I'm not a big fan of Nascar...I mean, I enjoy watching the highlights on SportsCenter and the competitiveness and all that....but I honestly cannot spend 4 or more hours sitting on a couch and watching it....unlike Hockey or Football, also I live in western Canada....it isn't Nascar country....makes Californians look like slaves to Nascar, aha

Old 05-16-2007, 03:07 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.k-la View Post
I'm not a big fan of Nascar...I mean, I enjoy watching the highlights on SportsCenter and the competitiveness and all that....but I honestly cannot spend 4 or more hours sitting on a couch and watching it....unlike Hockey or Football, also I live in western Canada....it isn't Nascar country....makes Californians look like slaves to Nascar, aha

I'm curious, is there much interest in motorsport in your area? Local events?

Old 05-17-2007, 01:29 PM

8 posts, read 38,815 times
Nope. Too slow for me.

It's not slow but it's just cars moving. I only watch basketball.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:20 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,681 times
Many of the race fans I know seem to look forward to "the wrecks" (as they call it)

We have a local dirt racing track and I've heard many comments from the fans who left disappointed because they didn't "see any wrecks."

Old 05-27-2007, 12:47 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,708 times
No. I'm barely even a fan of open-wheel racing, but at least they go on road circuits more. Watching cars go round and round. Not my idea of entertainment.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:16 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I don't care much for NASCAR, but I don't think you have any idea just how much athleticism it takes to wrestle that steering wheel in a 3,000+ pound car generating an additional several hundred pounds of downforce as you try to hold a very precise line at 200mph where a few inches off your line could cause an 8-car crash, fighting G-forces that would cause some people to black out, inside a car that's 135 degrees while you're wearing a flame-retardant suit for 3 hours. NASCAR drivers can lose as much as 10 pounds in a SINGLE RACE from dehydration, and yet they still have to stay alert enough to do all the stuff I just described. Try it some day and tell me these guys aren't athletes.
They dont pull many g's, I cant see them pulling over 1.5. Formula 1 drivers have to withstand up to 4 gs at times, on twisty tracks, with 4-5 times the amount of downforce, with open wheels that are also inches from other drivers, with open cockpits! Nascar drivers, IMO, are the least talented of any form of motorsports (minus amateur 1/4 mile bracket racers).

Old 05-27-2007, 08:56 PM

903 posts, read 3,506,126 times
We've lived in Nascar country for almost 15 years now (central NC) and no one in my family has caught on to it. We run into the Petty folks all the time, but they are just regular people around here.

Old 05-28-2007, 12:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
They dont pull many g's, I cant see them pulling over 1.5. Formula 1 drivers have to withstand up to 4 gs at times, on twisty tracks, with 4-5 times the amount of downforce, with open wheels that are also inches from other drivers, with open cockpits! Nascar drivers, IMO, are the least talented of any form of motorsports (minus amateur 1/4 mile bracket racers).
NASCAR drivers pull up to 3 G's, and it's not due to downforce generated by the car so much as the high banking on certain tracks. One of the reasons restrictor plates came into use was to cut down on G forces as cars got faster and faster. Even if you think they are the least talented drivers, they are still incredibly talented and it still takes a lot of athletic ability to do what they do.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:33 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,887 times
I live 30 miles from Daytona...

Whats Nascar again??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing