Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 10:09 AM

13 posts, read 20,986 times

Advertisements

its upon us once again, a bunch of red necks going around in a circle. Still trying to figure out how this can be called a sport....really takes alot of athletic ability to sit on your butt and drive in a circle. I know your reply will be...you try driving at 100mph, and see if you can do it....well if you've ever driven in Canada, then I guess it makes you a nascar driver. At least with this crap on tv, I can now get my chores done around the house, unless I need a good nap, then I can watch this crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 10:11 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,650,253 times
It is actually more skilled than you might think........ but it's still boring as hell.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:03 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Persaonlly I was a F1 fan but that has gotten to a parade mostly with only two serious contenter makes now days.Now days all the passing in in the pits mostly also.Frankly its have gotten to where I actually like indy and nascar for the close racing. If you have ever read the comments of both F1 and indy drivers they will tell you the lack of downforce makes thyem very challenging and that it takes alot of skill to drive one as the tires make traction a ever changing thing.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:46 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric04 View Post
its upon us once again, a bunch of red necks going around in a circle. Still trying to figure out how this can be called a sport....really takes alot of athletic ability to sit on your butt and drive in a circle. I know your reply will be...you try driving at 100mph, and see if you can do it....well if you've ever driven in Canada, then I guess it makes you a nascar driver. At least with this crap on tv, I can now get my chores done around the house, unless I need a good nap, then I can watch this crap.
They are more athletic than you may think. You have to be in good shape to sit in a hot race car over 100 degrees for 4 or 5 hours. A number of Nascar drivers were also standouts in other sports when they were in high school. I'll concede that a lot of the races are boring until about the last 20 or 30 laps.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:29 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,478 times
It can be very boring, and listening to Darrell Waltrip yell "Boogity, Boogity, Boogity....lets go racin' boys" is getting VERY OLD. He needs to come up with something else, or just NOT say it anymore.

As for the racing itself, I didn't enjoy it (on TV), but once you go, WOW, what a great time. My first race was Richmond and it was fun. But as the years have gone on, they have taken much out of the "racing". The "bump"....so much of what made racing, racing is now considered "aggressive" and the drivers are summoned to the "Trailer" after the race. So, that being said we don't watch it much. The wrecks are what makes it and now there are very few of those due to new rules by NASCAR.

The drivers are very much athletes, if you look at these drivers, most are in great shape as well as the crew. There have been tv specials done on these drivers with explanations about them being "athletes" or "just drivers." I couldn't tell you their reasoning, but it made sense when I was watching it. There is more to it than just sitting there driving in a circle. It's hard to grab a hold if you are not a fan or are unfamiliar with the sport. Living in NASCAR country, we keep up with it because it's in our backyard.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:50 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,138 times
Quote:
At least with this crap on tv, I can now get my chores done around the house, unless I need a good nap, then I can watch this crap.
LOL! I feel the same about basketball, hockey and golf. The only sports I truly enjoy watching are auto racing, baseball and football.

I don't watch what I don't like. That's my advice for you. It's a pretty simple solution.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:32 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
As much as I am disappointed in NASCAR the last few years it is still my favorite sport. I am not a big sport fan so that doesn't say much. I just happen to know a lot of the cup drivers and crews so it's more personal! If it wern't for knowing people personally I most likely would not even bother watching!

Old 02-15-2009, 05:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Paul Trcey can tell you the difference as he had a test drive.He basically said that if your use to the high down force vehicles it a huge change. You have to drive the car all the time becuase of the lack of downforce. Look at the montoya and others that have made the switchy;not doing that well.Persoanlly has the racing itself gets worse in other racing except for motorcycle GP; I have switch to watching NASACAR more. I gave up F1 a few years ago as I started falling asleep while watyhcing for lack of competion on the track.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
Quote:
It seems silly to waste a post on something you obviously hate. lol

Old 02-16-2009, 02:37 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,593,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
As much as I am disappointed in NASCAR the last few years it is still my favorite sport. I am not a big sport fan so that doesn't say much. I just happen to know a lot of the cup drivers and crews so it's more personal! If it wern't for knowing people personally I most likely would not even bother watching!
While I don't know many of the Cup drivers, I know quite a few who race on short tracks around the country. Joey Logano is the latest of these to "promote" to the cup series. The short track racing is the type of stock car racing I like best, but I like to watch some of the Cup/Nationwide/Truck races to see how the guys are doing that moved up to the big leagues, so to speak. One of the major competitors in the NASCAR Truck series, Ron Hornaday Jr., used to race at what used to be my local track, Saugus Speedway, just north of Los Angeles. I've enjoyed watching as he advances in his career, just as I used to enjoy watching him race at Saugus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing